- Angara River
Infobox_River | river_name = Angara River
mouth = Yenisei River
length = 1,779 km (1,105 mi)
elevation = 456 m
discharge = 120 km³/year
watershed = The Angara River ( _ru. Ангара́) is a 1779 km (1105 miles) long river in
Irkutsk Oblastand Krasnoyarsk Krai, south-east Siberia, Russia. It is the only river flowing out of Lake Baikal, and is a headwater of the Yenisei River. [cite web
publisher=Encyclopedia Britannica Online
Leaving Lake Baikal near the settlement of
Listvyanka, the Angara flows north past the Irkutsk Oblast's cities of Irkutsk, Angarsk, Bratsk, and Ust-Ilimsk. It then turns west, enters the Krasnoyarsk Krai, and falls into the Yenisei near Strelka(40 km north of Lesosibirsk).
Below its junction with the Ilim River the Angara has been known in the past as the Upper
Tunguska( _ru. Верхняя Тунгуска, "Verkhnyaya Tunguska").
Dams and reservoirs
The Angara is dammed by the dams of three major hydroelectric plants that have been constructed since the 1950s.
* Irkutsk Dam (Иркутская ГЭС), forming the Irkutsk Reservoir, which floods the valley of the river from its source to Irkutsk, and slightly raises the water level in Lake Baikal.
* Bratsk Dam, forming the
Ust-Ilimsk Dam(Усть-Илимская ГЭС), at Ust-Ilimsk, forming the Ust-Ilimsk Reservoir.
Bogychany Dam(Богучанская ГЭС) (under construction), at Kodinsk
The Angara is used for navigation on several isolated section: [ [http://www.rusnet.nl/encyclo/a/angara.shtml Angara River, southeast-central Russia] ] [ [http://www.e-river.ru/freight/map/Angara/ Енисейское пароходство: Ангара - судоходство и грузоперевозки] (Yenisei Shipping Company: Angara - navigation and cargo shipping) ru icon] [ [http://istok.angara.ru/mppss/BaikalRules.htm ОСОБЕННОСТИ ДВИЖЕНИЯ И СТОЯНКИ СУДОВ ПО ВНУТРЕННИМ ВОДНЫМ ПУТЯМ ВОСТОЧНО-СИБИРСКОГО БАССЕЙНА] (Special navigation rules for the internal waterways of the Eastern Siberia Basin) ru icon]
* from Lake Baikal to Irkutsk;
* from Irkutsk to Bratsk;
* on Ust-Ilimsk Reservoir;
* from the Boguchany Dam (Kodinsk) to the river's fall into the Yenisei. The section between Ust-Ilimsk Dam and Boguchany Dam has not been navigable due to rapids; however, with the completion of the Boguchany Dam, and filling of its reservoir, at least part of this section of the river will become navigable as well. Nonetheless, this will not enable through navigation from Lake Baikal to the Yenisei, as none of the existing 3 dams has been provided with locks for passing boats, nor will Boguchany dam have them.
* [http://www.rusnet.nl/encyclo/a/angara.shtml Angara River, southeast-central Russia]
* [http://www.baikal.ru/old.baikal.ru/baikal/faq/b4e.htm Angara River]
* [http://www.icc.ru/fed/most.html The new bridge over the Angara River - text & photos]
* [http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/russia/russia-Pages/Image91.html Angara River photo]
* [http://www.baikal.ru/old.baikal.ru/baikal/maps/rezko.jpgMap of region showing mouth of Angara River]
* [http://www.lkirchner.de/kodar/kodar.html Photo of river and dam]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Angara River — River, southeast central Russia. The outlet for Lake Baikal, it is a major tributary of the Yenisey River, which it joins near Yeniseysk. It is about 1,105 mi (1,779 km) long, and with its many rapids, it provides great potential for… … Universalium
Angara River — noun a river in southeastern Siberia that flows northwest from Lake Baikal to become a tributary of the Yenisei River • Syn: ↑Angara, ↑Tunguska, ↑Upper Tunguska • Instance Hypernyms: ↑river • Part Holonyms: ↑Siberia … Useful english dictionary
Upper Angara River — The Upper Angara River ( ru. Верхняя Ангара) is a river in Siberia. It is 320 km long and rises north east of Lake Baikal, flowing south west through the Buryat Republic into the lake. It is partly navigable … Wikipedia
Angara (disambiguation) — Angara can refer to: * the Angara River, a river in Russia * the Upper Angara River, a river in Russia * the Angara rocket * a continent in the game series Golden Sun * Angaraland * Edgardo Angara, a senator of the Philippines … Wikipedia
Angara — 58° 06′ 07″ N 92° 59′ 28″ E / 58.102, 92.991 … Wikipédia en Français
Angara — noun a river in southeastern Siberia that flows northwest from Lake Baikal to become a tributary of the Yenisei River • Syn: ↑Angara River, ↑Tunguska, ↑Upper Tunguska • Instance Hypernyms: ↑river • Part Holonyms: ↑Siberia * * * … Useful english dictionary
river — river1 riverless, adj. riverlike, adj. /riv euhr/, n. 1. a natural stream of water of fairly large size flowing in a definite course or channel or series of diverging and converging channels. 2. a similar stream of something other than water: a… … Universalium
Angara — [än′gə rä′] river in SC Siberia, flowing from Lake Baikal north & west to the Yenisei River: 1,150 mi (1,851 km) … English World dictionary
Angara — /ahng geuh rah/; Russ. /un gu rddah /, n. a river in the S Russian Federation in Asia, flowing NW from Lake Baikal to the Yenisei River: called Upper Tunguska in its lower course. 1151 mi. (1855 km) long. * * * … Universalium
Angara — An•ga•ra [[t]ˌɑŋ gəˈrɑ[/t]] n. geg a river in the S Russian Federation in Asia, flowing NW from Lake Baikal to the Yenisei River: called Upper Tunguska in its lower course. 1151 mi. (1855 km) long … From formal English to slang