- The UrbanWire
The UrbanWire is a popular entertainment and lifestyle
ezineproduced and maintained by online journalism students of Ngee Ann Polytechnic’s School of Film & Media Studiesin Singapore, attracting an average of 2 million hits each month as of late 2007.Fact|date=December 2007
The UrbanWire or UW is the integrated publication of TriMedia Publishing, Singapore’s first editorial consultancy managed by students.
”Live” since Jan 18, 2002 by a team of 5 students and online journalism lecturer Mr Robin Yee, it remains the only student-led media in Singapore consistently invited to cover major entertainment events such as Singapore Idol, MediaCorp TV’s Star Awards and the MTV Asia Awards, even when it went to Bangkok in 2006. Since 2006, it has been publishing nearly one story every day of the year, making it one of the most often refreshed youth e-zines in Singapore.
The UrbanWire reports on Movies, Music, Gaming, Food, TV, People, Books, Sports, WiredLife, NightLife, Features, Style, Events and Campus. It also runs stories from sister publications- hype, Singapore’s first student-produced glossy lifestyle magazine, and Tribune, Ngee Ann Polytechnic’s campus newspaper, both of which are also produced by TriMedia Publishing.
The UrbanWire has also been “recruited” as a content partner by:
* [http://www.gameaxis.com/home/ Gameaxis.com] – Singapore’s foremost gaming magazine
* [http://www.youth.sg Youth.sg] - a popular youth portal run by the Ministry of Community Development, Youth & Sports
* [http://www.overseassingaporean.sg Overseas Singaporean.sg] - a portal by the Prime Minister's Office that engages Singaporeans overseas
* [http://www.ns.sg The National Service Portal] - a one-stop portal that caters to the needs of National Servicemen
* EduScape- a free monthly magazine distributed to most schools in Singapore
Always striving to keep up with the rapid advancements of technology, The UrbanWire was among the first e-zines in Singapore to
* offer RSS feeds,
* use a Content Management System, and
* produce a series of English podcasts on China with Mr Jacky Peng, a systems analyst in Ngee Ann Polytechnic who hails from Guangzhou. This was positively reviewed by Global Voices Online [http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/] ,a non-profit project funded and initiated by Harvard Law School that aggregates and features the most significant blogs in the world.
Despite being a young media player, The UrbanWire is aware of its role and potential for doing good in society. These are some initiatives it has embarked on to give back to society in some small way. Because we are a new media outfit, all of them revolve around the principles of technology use, and benefitting students or youths:
1. Bridging the Digital Divide - March 2003The drive to collect and refurbish old computers and redistribute them to needy students saw more than 300 being collected and in excess of 100 beingsuccessfully sent across the island to homes of students in need within 2 weeks. The efforts were possible due to sponsors and volunteers both within and without Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
2. S.M.A.R.T.S - Jan 2006 The gameshow, possibly the world's first online charity gameshow created by Robin Yee. saw its semi-finals and finals staged at Ngee Ann City's Civic Plaza on Jan 7 and 8, 2006. It raised $8,000 for youth charities and gave away more than $10,000 worth of prizes to players, who were tested on their general knowledge in 15 categories. This was in response to the poor level of general knowledge of the majority of students. Students from 122 local schools played the game online.
3. UWtimate Download - Feb 2008 Youths, despite being a very important market, often are denied the generous discounts and privileges that credit card companies trot out to older, salaried members. To address this inequality and to capture the "heartshare, mindshare and phoneshare of youths", Robin Yee has initiated UWtimate Download, a novel mobile phone-based privilege program. This is also an environmentally-safe alternative as no plastic cards are produced, and benefits can easily and virally be passed on to friends/family and even tourists via a simple mms or bluetooth connection. More than 50 merchants in Singapore are part of this program, including vPOST, which is offering a $15 discount on shipping charges on online shopping. Those who register for the free download before May 1, 2008 will also be entered into a lucky draw with a top prize of an N82 phone sponsored by Nokia.
* [http://www.theurbanwire.com The UrbanWire website]
* [http://www.theurbanwire.com/smarts S.M.A.R.T.S online charity gameshow]
* [http://www.theurbanwire.com/nptribune/archives/archivevol27issue2/focus1.html Bridging the Digital Divide]
* [http://www.theurbanwire.com/uwtimatedownload/ UWtimate Download]
* [http://www.theurbanwire.com/uwtimatedownload/signup.html Sign-up for UWtimate Download]
* [http://www.np.edu.sg/fms Ngee Ann Polytechnic’s School of Film & Media Studies]
Articles on Wikipedia that link to UrbanWire
I'm Not Dead
Kings of Convenience
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Социальная сеть (фильм) — У этого термина существуют и другие значения, см. Социальная сеть. Социальная сеть The Social Network … Википедия
Saito Nagasaki — Saito Nagasaki, 2007 Background information Birth name Mark Koh Also known as DJ Rene … Wikipedia
World of Music, Arts and Dance — (WOMAD) is a festival started in Shepton Mallet, England in 1982. The festival was pioneered by Peter Gabriel and various others including Stephen Pritchard, through their interest in sharing and celebrating world music, arts and dance. A typical … Wikipedia
Eatyourkimchi — http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/ Motto Korea + videos = shazaam! Beschreibung Weblog Sprachen englisch … Deutsch Wikipedia
Sammi Cheng — Infobox Chinese language singer and actor name = Sammi Cheng caption = chinesename = tradchinesename = 鄭秀文 simpchinesename = 郑秀文 pinyinchinesename = zhèng xìu wén jyutpingchinesename = zeng6 sau3 man4 birthname = Cheng Sau Man ancestry = Chaozhou … Wikipedia
Encore (S.H.E album) — Infobox Album Name = Encore 安可 Type = Album Artist = S.H.E Released = November 12, 2004 Recorded = Genre = Mandarin pop Length = 40 45 Label = H.I.M International Music, EMI, Avex Producer = Joeloe Kuo (郭文宗), Venk Yang (楊子樸), GEO Reviews = Last… … Wikipedia
Life in Cartoon Motion — Álbum de estudio de Mika Publicación 5 de febrero de 2007 (Reino Unido) 27 de marzo de 2007 (Estados Unidos) Género(s) Pop Pop rock … Wikipedia Español
Amasio Valence — Infobox Rugby biography name = Amasio Valence caption = birthname = nickname = dateofbirth = birthyear = 1979 birthmonth = 05 birthday = 12 placeofbirth = Nadi, Fiji dateofdeath = placeofdeath = height = height|m=1.80 weight = 93kg ru position =… … Wikipedia
Hansel y Gretel (película de 2007) — Este artículo o sección necesita referencias que aparezcan en una publicación acreditada, como revistas especializadas, monografías, prensa diaria o páginas de Internet fidedignas. Puedes añadirlas así o avisar … Wikipedia Español