- Nanocrystal solar cell
Nanocrystal solar cells are solar cells based on a substrate with a coating of nanocrystals. The nanocrystals are typically based on silicon, CdTe or CIGS and the substrates are generally silicon or various organic conductors. Quantum dot solar cells are a variant of this approach, but take advantage of quantum mechanical effects to extract further performance. Dye-sensitized solar cells are another related approach, but in this case the nano-structuring is part of the substrate.
Previous fabrication methods relied on expensive molecular beam epitaxy processes, but colloidal synthesis allows for cheaper manufacture. A thin film of nanocrystals is obtained by a process known as “spin-coating”. This involves placing an amount of the quantum dot solution onto a flat substrate, which is then rotated very quickly. The solution spreads out uniformly, and the substrate is spun until the required thickness is achieved.
Quantum dot based photovoltaic cells based around dye-sensitized colloidal TiO2 films were investigated in 1991 and were found to exhibit promising efficiency of converting incident light energy to electrical energy, and to be incredibly encouraging due to the low cost of materials used. A single-nanocrystal (channel) architecture in which an array of single particles between the electrodes, each separated by ~1 exciton diffusion length, was proposed to improve the device efficiency (figure below) and research on this type of solar cell is being conducted by groups at Stanford, Berkeley and the University of Tokyo.
Although research is still in its infancy, in the future nanocrystal photovoltaics may offer advantages such as flexibility (quantum dot-polymer composite photovoltaics) lower costs, clean power generation and an efficiency of 65%, compared to around 27% for first-generation photovoltaics.
It is argued that many measurements of the efficiency of the nanocrystal solar cell are incorrect and that nanocrystal solar cells are not suitable for large scale manufacturing.
Recent research has experimented with lead selenide (PbSe) semiconductor, as well as with cadmium telluride (CdTe), which has already been well established in the production of "classic" solar cells. Other materials are being researched as well.
Other third generation solar cells
- ^ B. O’Regan and M. Gratzel, (1991). "A low-cost, high efficiency solar cell based on dye-sensitized colloidal TiO2 films". Nature 353 (353): 737–740. Bibcode 1991Natur.353..737O. doi:10.1038/353737a0.
- ^ J.S. Salafsky (2001). "A ‘channel’ design using single, semiconductor nanocrystals for efficient (opto)electronic devices films". Solid-State Electronics 45 (1): 53–58. Bibcode 2001SSEle..45...53S. doi:10.1016/S0038-1101(00)00193-3.
- ^ D.S. Ginger and N.C. Greenham, (1999). "Photoinduced electron transfer from conjugated polymers to CdSe nanocrystals". Phys. Review B 59 (16): 10622. Bibcode 1999PhRvB..5910622G. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.59.10622.
- ^ Ilan Gur, Neil A. Fromer, Michael L. Geier, and A. Paul Alivisatos, (2005). "Air-Stable All-Inorganic Nanocrystal Solar Cells Processed from Solution". Science 310 (5745): 462–465. Bibcode 2005Sci...310..462G. doi:10.1126/science.1117908. PMID 16239470.
- ^ Quantum Dots May Boost Photovoltaic Efficiency To 65%
- ^ File:PVeff(rev110408U).jpg
- ^ N. Gupta, G. F. Alapatt, R. Podila, R. Singh, K.F. Poole, (2009). "Prospects of Nanostructure-Based Solar Cells for Manufacturing Future Generations of Photovoltaic Modules". International Journal of Photoenergy 2009: 1. doi:10.1155/2009/154059.
- Science News Online, Quantum-Dots Leap: Tapping tiny crystals' inexplicable light-harvesting talent, June 3, 2006.
- InformationWeek, Nanocrystal Discovery Has Solar Cell Potential, January 6, 2006.
- Berkeley Lab, Berkeley Lab Air-stable Inorganic Nanocrystal Solar Cells Processed from Solution, 2005.
- ScienceDaily, Sunny Future For Nanocrystal Solar Cells, October 23, 2005.
- Photoelectric effect
- History of photovoltaics
- Timeline of solar cells
- Solar insolation
- Solar constant
- Solar cell efficiency
- Third generation photovoltaic cell
- Solar cell research
- Quantum efficiency of a solar cell
- Cadmium telluride
- Polycrystalline silicon photovoltaics
- Thermodynamic efficiency limit
- Sun-free photovoltaics
- Polarizing organic photovoltaics
Photovoltaic systemSolar cells
System componentsSystem concepts
- Solar cell
- Solar panel
- Thin film solar cell
- Polymer solar cell
- Nanocrystal solar cell
- Organic solar cell
- Quantum dot solar cell
- Hybrid solar cell
- Plasmonic solar cell
- Carbon nanotubes in photovoltaics
- Dye-sensitized solar cell
- Cadmium telluride photovoltaics
- Copper indium gallium selenide solar cells
- Multijunction photovoltaic cell
- Printed solar panel
- Solar-powered refrigerator
- Solar air conditioning
- Solar lamp
- Solar charger
- Solar backpack
- Solar tree
- Solar-powered pump
- Solar-powered watch
- Solar Tuki
- Photovoltaic keyboard
- Solar road stud
- Solar cell phone charger
- Solar notebook
- Solar powered calculator
- Solar powered fountain
- Solar powered radio
- Solar powered flashlight
- Solar fan
- Solar street light
- Solar traffic light
Air transportWater transportSolar vehicle racing
- Solar vehicle
- Solar car
- Solar roadway
- Solar golf cart
- The Quiet Achiever
- Solar car racing
- List of solar car teams
- Solar challenge
- Solar Cup
- Blue Sky Solar Racing
- Frisian Solar Challenge
- UC Solar Team
- Solar Splash
- South African Solar Challenge
- Tour de Sol
- World Solar Challenge
- Hunt-Winston School Solar Car Challenge
- North American Solar Challenge
- Victorian Model Solar Vehicle Challenge
By countryList of countries by photovoltaics production
- Solar Energy Generating Systems
- Stand-alone photovoltaic power system
- Grid-connected photovoltaic power system
- Rooftop photovoltaic power station
- Topaz Solar Farm
- Solar Ark
- Solar Umbrella house
- Erlasee Solar Park
- Guadarranque solar power plant
- Pocking Solar Park
- Copper Mountain Solar Facility
- Wyandot Solar Facility
- Köthen Solar Park
- Building-integrated photovoltaics
- Moura Photovoltaic Power Station
- Nevada Solar One
- Beneixama photovoltaic power plant
- Gottelborn Solar Park
- Darro Solar Park
- Olmedilla Photovoltaic Park
- Blythe Photovoltaic Power Plant
- Strasskirchen Solar Park
- Puertollano Photovoltaic Park
- Alamosa photovoltaic power plant
PV companies Category · Commons
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Solar cell — A solar cell made from a monocrystalline silicon wafer … Wikipedia
Solar cell fabric — is a fabric with embedded photovoltaic (PV) cells which generate electricity when exposed to light.Traditional silicon based solar cells are expensive to manufacture, rigid and fragile. Although less efficient, thin film cells and organic polymer … Wikipedia
Organic solar cell — An organic photovoltaic cell (OPVC) is a photovoltaic cell that uses organic electronics a branch of electronics that deals with conductive organic polymers or small organic molecules for light absorption and charge transport. The plastic… … Wikipedia
Polymer solar cell — Polymer solar cells are a type of organic solar cell: they produce electricity from sunlight. A relatively novel technology, they are being researched by universities, national laboratories and several companies around the world. Device physics… … Wikipedia
Quantum dot solar cell — Spin cast quantum dot solar cell built by the Sargent Group at the University of Toronto. The metal disks on the front surface are the electrical connections to the layers below. Quantum dot solar cells are an emerging field in solar cell… … Wikipedia
Dye-sensitized solar cell — A selection of dye sensitized solar cells A dye sensitized solar cell (DSSC, DSC or DYSC) is a low cost solar cell belonging to the group of thin film solar cells. … Wikipedia
Thin film solar cell — Cross section of thin film polycrystalline solar cell. A thin film solar cell (TFSC), also called a thin film photovoltaic cell (TFPV), is a solar cell that is made by depositing one or more thin layers (thin film) of photovoltaic material on a… … Wikipedia
Third generation solar cell — Several new solar cell or photovoltaic technologies, have been proposed or discovered in recent years, due to extensive research and development with a focus on finding more efficient alternatives to traditional silicon based solar cells.… … Wikipedia
Solar thermal energy — Solar thermal system for water heating in Santorini, Greece … Wikipedia
Solar panel — Photovoltaic module redirects here. For the heat collectors, see Solar thermal collector. An installation of solar panels in rural Mongolia … Wikipedia