- Nottingham Malaysian Games
Nottingham Malaysian Games, known to many as Notts Games, is the largest sporting event of its kind, attracting members of Malaysian-related university societies from the length and breath of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. It was first organised by the committee of Nottingham Malaysian Society in 1985 and has been since held annually. It is held at 5 different venues; University of Nottingham Sports Centre, Portland Building, Nottingham Tennis Centre, PowerLeague Nottingham and Highfields Park. It is held in conjunction with Malaysian Food Festival.
University Year University Year University of Nottingham 1985 - 2009 University of Aberdeen ? - 2006 University of Bath ? - 2006 University of Birmingham ? - 2006 University of Bristol ? - 2006 University of Cambridge ? - 2006 Cardiff University ? - 2006 De Montfort University ? University of Derby ? University of Dundee ? Durham University ? University of East Anglia ? University of East London ? University of Edinburgh ? - 2006 University of Essex ? University of Exeter ? - 2006 University of Glasgow ? Heriot-Watt University ? - 2006 University of Kent ? - 2006 Lancaster University ? - 2006 University of Leeds ? - 2006 University of Leicester ? - 2006 University of Liverpool ? - 2006 University of London ? - 2006 Imperial College London ? - 2006 King's College London ? - 2006 London School of Economics (LSE) ? - 2006 Queen Mary, University of London ? - 2006 Royal Academy of Music ? St George's, University of London ? University College London (UCL) ? - 2006 Loughborough University ? - 2006 University of Manchester ? - 2011 Newcastle University ? - 2006 University of Northampton ? Northumbria University ? University of Oxford ? - 2006 University of Plymouth ? - 2006 University of Portsmouth ? - 2006 Queen's University Belfast ? St Mary's University College ? University of Reading ? Royal College of Art, London ? University of St Andrews ? - 2006 University of Sheffield ? - 2011 University of Southampton ? - 2006 University of Stirling ? University of Sunderland ? Saint Mary's College, London ? University of Sussex ? University of Teesside ? Thames Valley University ? University of Ulster ? University of Wales ? - 2006 University of Wales, Aberystwyth ? - 2006 University of Wales, Bangor ? University of Wales, Lampeter ? University of Wales, Newport ? University of Wales, Swansea ? - 2006 University of Warwick ? - 2010 University of Westminster ? University of the West of England ? University of Winchester ? University of Wolverhampton ? - 2006 University of Worcester ? University of York ? - 2006 York St John University ?
1985 - 2005
The first inception of Nottingham Malaysian Games was in 1985, the year it was introduced by then NMS Committee. From 1985 till 2005, the games have started to gain interest and participation by Malaysians in United Kingdom.
2006 - 2008
The 20th Nottingham Malaysian Games (2006) saw one of the biggest number of dignitaries present for the event, with then Higher Education Minister Datuk Mustapa Mohamed, accompanied by Education Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein and Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Shafie Apdal, was given the honour to launch the game at the sports centre. The event also began to attract participation from Ireland. Squash was introduced for the first time in 2006. Two vice-chancellors from Malaysia were also present, with an estimated record number of 5,200 students from more than 60 universities.
In 2007 and 2008, no significant changes were done to the organisation and structure of the Games, but high quality was maintained throughout the running of the games in both years. In 2008, the event was officiated by Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin, Higher Education Minister of Malaysia.
2009 (Silver Jubilee)
In 2009, the 25th Year celebration was held, breaking the record of number of dignitaries, participants and supporters, with more than half of Malaysians currently in UK and Ireland congregating in Nottingham for the event. The event was graced with the attendance of the Minister of Youth and Sports, Dato' Ahmad Shabery Cheek, representing Dato' Sri Najib Tun Razak, the Prime Minister of Malaysia . During the event, he complimented the leadership values portrayed by the committee in organising such a large event with little help from sponsoring companies and the Government
- the Minister of Youth and Sports, Dato' Ahmad Shabery Cheek, representing Dato' Sri Najib Tun Razak, the Prime Minister of Malaysia
- Professor David Greenaway, Vice Chancellor of University of Nottingham
- delegates from Malaysian Students' Department UK and Ireland
- delegates from University of Nottingham International Office and Vice Chancellor's Office
- delegates from Malaysian Ministry of Youth and Sports
2009's Motto read: New Games, New Ground, New Generation.
The year 2009 also saw the largest number of media representatives, including:
Year Overall Champion 5-a-side Football 2011 University of Manchester University of Sheffield 2010 ? University of Southampton 2009 University of Nottingham University of Sheffield (Runner-up) 2006 University of Nottingham ? 2005 ? London School of Economics 2004 ? University of Bristol Year Badminton Male Badminton Female 2006 ? ? 2005 ? ? 2004 ? ? Year Badminton Double Basketball 2011 University of Manchester University of Manchester 2006 ? ? 2005 ? ? 2004 ? ? Year Lightning Chess Lightning Snooker 2006 Imperial College London ? 2005 University College London (UCL) ? 2004 University of Southampton ? 2007 University of Central Lancashire Year Table Tennis Male Table Tennis Female 2006 ? ? 2005 ? University of Southampton 2004 ? ? Year Scrabble 2006 ? 2005 ? 2004 ? Year Netball Volleyball 2006 University of Nottingham ? 2005 ? ? 2004 ? ? Year Squash Male Squash Female 2011 University of Manchester ? 2006* University of Nottingham University of Bristol
- Squash was introduced in 2006.
- Tennis, Congkak and Batu Seremban were introduced for the first time in 2009.
The sportsmanship oath is recited before the start of the games, and was first introduced in 2008.
We, the participants of Nottingham Malaysian Games, vow to abide to the good virtues of sportsmanship and conform to the etiquette of sport. We shall express our aspiration for sports with proper consideration for fairness and equality, and shall practise the following qualities of a good sportsman:
- Full commitment to participation
- Respect and concern for rules and officials
- Respect and concern for social conventions
- Respect and concern for the opponent
- Avoid poor attitudes toward participation
- Komitmen kepada penyertaan
- Penghormatan kepada peraturan serta pegawai sukan
- Penghormatan kepada konvensyen sosial
- Penghormatan kepada pihak lawan
- Penghindaran sikap-sikap negatif terhadap penyertaan
- ^ Choi, Tuck Wo (2006-11-07). "Sporting offer by Nottingham" (in english). The Star, Malaysia. http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/11/7/nation/15933913&sec=nation. Retrieved 2006-12-07.
- ^ Abd Razak, Dzulkifli (2006-11-12). "Notts rallies them from all over Britain" (in english). New Sunday Times, Malaysia. http://www.prn2.usm.my/mainsite/bulletin/article/44dar06.html. Retrieved 2006-12-07.
- ^ a b c d Othman, Zaharah (2009-11-02). "London panel to boost our Olympic athletes" (in English). New Straits Times, Malaysia. http://nms-uk.com/files/nomination/media/6.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- ^ KBS, Unit Komunikasi Korporat (2009-11-2). "Sambutan Kejohanan Sukan 1Malaysia yang ke-25 di Nottingham, London" (in Malay Language). Ministry of Youth and Sports, Malaysia. http://nms-uk.com/files/nomination/media/7.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- ^ "Malaysian Games in city" (in English). ThisIsNottingham. 2009-10-26. http://nms-uk.com/files/nomination/media/5.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- ^ "Nottingham Malaysian Games 2009 Official Page" (in English). Nottingham Malaysian Society. 2009-10-31. http://www.nms-uk.com/NMS/games.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-03. [dead link]
- ^ "Oath" (in English and Malay Languages). 2009-11-2. http://nms-uk.com/NMS/files/oath.pdf. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nottingham Two — The Nottingham Two were a student and a staff member of the University of Nottingham arrested in May 2008 for suspected involvement with Islamic terrorism. University staff had notified the police after finding an English copy of the so called Al … Wikipedia
Nottingham University Business School — Not to be confused with Nottingham Business School which is the business school at nearby Nottingham Trent University Nottingham University Business School South Building, Jubilee Campus Nottingham University Business School (NUBS) is the… … Wikipedia
Malaysian Night — is a show that filled with the passion and spirit of the unique Malaysian culture. It is a show that is usually done by a Malaysia related society within many tertiary education institutions outside of Malaysia, to promote and introduce the… … Wikipedia
Malaysian Student Department Jordan — Jabatan Penuntut Malaysia Jordan الملحقية الثقافية الماليزية السفارة الماليزية عمان Malaysian Student Department Office In Sweifieh, Amman … Wikipedia
University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus — Coat of arms of the University of Nottingham Motto Latin: Sapientia urbs conditur … Wikipedia
University of Nottingham Students' Union — Motto N/A Institution University of Nottingham Location Portland Building, University Park, Nottingham, NG7 2RD … Wikipedia
University of Nottingham — The University of Nottingham Motto Latin: Sapientia urbs conditur Motto in English … Wikipedia
University of Nottingham Halls of Residence — Raleigh Park redirects here. For Raleigh Park near Oxford, see Raleigh Park, Oxfordshire. Hugh Stewart House (warden s residence, adjoining the hall) This is a list of halls of residence on the various campuses of the University of Nottingham in… … Wikipedia
University of Nottingham Medical School — Establishe … Wikipedia
New Theatre (Nottingham) — The New Theatre. The New Theatre is a playhouse and production company based on University Park campus, Nottingham, England. It is funded in part by the University of Nottingham Students Union and constitutes one of the Union s 10 Student Run… … Wikipedia