- The Boys' Brigade in the United Kingdom
Non-profit_name = Boys Brigade
founder = William Alexander Smith
location = Felden Lodge, Hemel Hempstead, Herts HP3 0BL
area_served = International
homepage = [http://www.boys-brigade.org.uk/ www.boys-brigade.org.uk]
Boys Brigadeis the largest Christianuniformed youth organisationin the United Kingdom. Its British headquarters are located at Felden Lodge, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. Companies in other countries may have their own national headquarters. They celebrate their 125th anniversary this year.
The first Boys' Brigade company was set up by Sir William Alexander Smith on
4 October 1883at Free Church Mission Hall, North Woodside Road, Glasgow, Scotlandto develop "Christian manliness" by the use of a semi-military discipline and order, gymnastics, summer camps, and religious services and classes.
In the years following the establishment of the 1st Glasgow company, others were rapidly formed throughout
Scotlandand the rest of the United Kingdomleading to a movement comprising thousands of boys: in the early 20th century there were about 2,200 companies connected with different churches throughout the United Kingdom, the British Empire, and the United States, with 10,000 officers and 160,000 boys.
The object of the Boys’ Brigade has remained relevant for over one hundred years and will remain relevant into the future.
The advancement of Christ's kingdom among Boys and the promotion of habits of Obedience, Reverence, Discipline, Self-respect and all that tends towards a true Christian manliness
The motto of the Boys' Brigade takes the organization back to its roots and the reason for its work, the Bible, teaching Christ’s Kingdom to Boys.
The moto ‘Sure and Stedfast’ is taken from Hebrews ch 6 v 19 ‘'Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast' (AV)
The original badge was an anchor and rope with the words Sure on the top bar and Stedfast on the bottom.
Some years later the Boys’ Brigade amalgamated with the Boys’ Life Brigade and the red cross was added behind the anchor.
The Uniform of the Boys’ Brigade has changed over the one hundred years, to keep it relevant but to keep instilling a sense of self respect which can come from being properly turned out on parade in the correct uniform.
Up until the last uniform change around the turn of this century uniform would be marked on camp and at weekly meetings. Brasso on your white haversack would see points knocked off as would boot polish on your brass buckle. The points competitions were often fearlessly fought between squads.
Early uniforms were often based upon school uniforms, jacket, tie and trousers with dress shoes. A brown belt with brass buckle was added as was a white haversack and a Pill Box hat.
In the 1980s and 1990s the uniform moved away from this and away from jackets to white shirts, as many schools no longer required jackets.
Many companies adopted a blue shirt with epaulets for officers ranks. The full Company section uniform in the mid 90s could be daunting
Blue Shirt, White Lanyard under the right left shoulder attached to the left Breast pocket, haversack or sash (depending on rank) over your right shoulder, main armband with rank (lance corporal – staff sergeant) on your right arm and your achievement badges, your Presidents Badge and Queens Award on your left arm band. A brown leather belt with brass buckle and a Forage cap.
The uniform has now become more relaxed and is a series of smart pullover and various variations for different ranks and sections.
:"More Boys' Brigade - History"
Regions, Districts and Battalions
Each company is normally connected to a battalion comprising several nearby companies, which in turn are organised at a district and then national level, although in Scotland each company is attached to a local district, which is attached to a battalion.
The Boys' Brigade in the United Kingdom is divided into two regions and four districts;
* North West district
* West of England district
* North Yorkshire
ections in the BB
There are five different age groups, known as "sections", within the organisation:
* Anchors - P2 to P3
* Juniors - P4 to P6
* Company - P7 and S1 upwards
* Seniors - 15 to 19 years
* AMICUS - 15 to 22 years (Note, this section also admits girls)
In many companies the Company and Senior sections are run jointly.
Leaders are designated as
Warrant Officers attaining the rank of Lieutenantonly when having completed additional formal training in youth leadership. To avoid unnecessary leader hierarchy, all qualified officers are Lieutenants. The post of Captainof a company is a brevet rank with those in the position reverting to Lieutenant when they cease to be in the position; similarly other positions such as the company Adjutant(second to the captain) are considered appointments rather than substantive ranks.
Older boys can be promoted to be an NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer). There are four levels of an NCO, each being awarded when a boy reaches a high enough standard of leadership. The four levels are Lance Corporal (minimum age 14), Corporal (minimum age 15), Sergeant (minimum age 16), and Staff Sergeant (minimum age 17). NCOs often play an important role in the Boys' Brigade, helping the officers and other adult helpers with organising activities and awards classes, particular in the Anchors and Juniors sections. Based on the rank insginia of the British Army at the time the Brigade was formed, NCOs to the rank of sergeant wear chevrons on their upper right arm, and staff sergeants wear four chevrons on the lower sleeve, pointing down.
* Sir Alex Ferguson
* Alex McLeish
* Ally McCoist
* Sir Cliff Richard
* Kenny Dalglish
* Tam Cowan
* The Proclaimers
* Jonathan Ross
* Davy Moyes
* [http://www.boys-brigade.org.uk/ The Boys Brigade UK]
* [http://bbforums.boys-brigade.org.uk/ UK Discussion Forums]
* [http://www.feldenlodge.co.uk/ Felden Lodge, Hertfordshire]
* [http://www.bbni.org.uk The Boys' Brigade in Northern Ireland]
* [http://www.bbglasgow.org.uk/ Glasgow Battalion]
* [http://coleraine.boys-brigade.org.uk Coleraine & District Battalion]
* [http://westlondon.boys-brigade.org.uk/ West London battalion]
* [http://8thbirminghambb.co.uk/ Birmingham Battalion]
* [http://midstaffs.boys-brigade.org.uk/ Mid-Staffs & Sandwell Battalion]
* [http://inverclyde.boys-brigade.org.uk/ Inverclyde and District] Companies
* [http://1barnet.boys-brigade.org.uk/ 1st Barnet, Boys Brigade]
* [http://www.130thglasgow.co.uk/ 130th Glasgow Company, The Boys' Brigade]
* [http://www.knocknamuckleybb.co.uk/ 1st Knocknamuckley Boys Brigade]
* [http://www.1stbuckiebb.com/ 1st Buckie Company] - Largest Boys Brigade company in the United Kingodm
* [http://www.bbzone.co.uk/5th The Boys' Brigade 5th Scarborough]
* [http://www.167.org.uk/ 167th Glasgow Company]
* [http://3chelmsford.boys-brigade.org.uk/ 3rd/3rdA Chelmsford Company]
* [http://1hatfield.boys-brigade.org.uk/ 1st Hatfield Company]
* [http://www.firstomaghbb.org.uk/ 1st Omagh Boys' Brigade]
* [http://www.lyebb.co.nr/ 1st Lye Company]
* [http://1richmond.boys-brigade.org.uk/ 1st Richmond Company]
* [http://5livingston.boys-brigade.org.uk/ 5th Livingston Company, The Boys' Brigade]
* [http://www.haslingtonboysbrigade.co.uk/ 1st Haslington, Boys Brigade]
* [http://www.1stacombboysbrigade.co.uk/ 1st Acomb, Boys Brigade]
* 5th Lincoln Company (Currently No Website)
* [http://www.1stKidderminsterBB.co.uk/ 1st Kidderminster Company]
* [http://www.3rdenfieldbb.co.uk/ 3rd Enfield Company]
* [http://14westbromwich.boys-brigade.org.uk/ 14th West Bromwich Company]
* [http://www.12thgreenock.co.uk/ 12th Greenock Company] For More see the [http://www.boys-brigade.org/ Boys Brigade Directory] .
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
1883 in the United Kingdom — Events from the year 1883 in the United Kingdom.Incumbents*Monarch Victoria of the United Kingdom *Prime Minister William Gladstone, LiberalEvents* 16 June Victoria Hall disaster: A rush for treats results in 183 children being asphyxiated in a… … Wikipedia
Cinema of the United Kingdom — List of British films 1888 1919 1920s 1930s 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 … Wikipedia
Scouting in the United Kingdom — is served by several different organisations: *The Scout Association, member of World Organization of the Scout Movement *Girlguiding UK, member of World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts *Baden Powell Scouts Association, member of World … Wikipedia
Police cadets in the United Kingdom — Law enforcement in the United Kingdom Crime in the UK · Terrorism in the UK Topics … Wikipedia
List of Acts of Parliament of the United Kingdom Parliament, 1920-1939 — This is an incomplete list of Acts of the Parliament of the United Kingdom for the years 1920 1939. For acts passed prior to 1707 see List of Acts of Parliament of the English Parliament and List of Acts of Parliament of the Scottish… … Wikipedia
Boys' Brigade Gazette — The Boys Brigade Gazette is a monthly magazine printed regularly since 1889 in the United Kingdom for the Battalions and Companies of the Brigade in the UK and Ireland … Wikipedia
Boys' Brigade — For the 80s New Wave band from Canada, see Boys Brigade (band). ] [cite web | title = The Boys Brigade UK: About Us | url = http://www.boys brigade.org.uk/aboutus/ | accessdate = 2007 03 18] The crest was originally a plain anchor, bearing the BB … Wikipedia
Parachute Regiment (United Kingdom) — For a list of parachute regiments from other countries, see Parachute Regiment (disambiguation). The Parachute Regiment Cap Badge of the Parachute Regiment Active … Wikipedia
List of United Kingdom-related topics — This is a list of topics related to the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom contains a more comprehensive selection of UK articles. United Kingdom, Constituent Countries, Dependencies and Territories*United Kingdom **England **Scotland **Wales… … Wikipedia
Beijing 2008 Olympic Games: Mount Olympus Meets the Middle Kingdom — Introduction officially Games of the XXIX Olympiad The Games of the XXIX Olympiad, involving some 200 Olympic committees and as many as 13,000 accredited athletes competing in 28 different sports, were auspiciously scheduled to begin at 8 … Universalium