- National Rail Museum, New Delhi
The National Rail Museum is a museum in Chanakyapuri, New Delhi which focuses on the rail heritage of India it opened on the 1 February, 1977. It is located in over 10 acres (40,000 m2) of land with both indoor and outdoor exhibits. A toy train offers rides around its site on regular days. The museum houses the world's oldest operational steam locomotive the 1855 built Fairy Queen certified by the Guinness Book of Records.
- Fairy Queen: Fairy Queen is the oldest running steam locomotive in the world. It was built in 1855.
- Patiala State Monorail Trainways: This unique steam monorail was built in 1907. This unusual train is based on the "Ewing System", and connected Bassi with Sirhind (6 miles). This was designed by Col. Bowles. The unique train system consists of a track of single rail. This mono track, the load-carrying wheel are run while one big iron wheel at other side to balance it and to keep the train upright. This train as built by Orenstein & Koppel of Berlin. This train ran till October 1927. In 1927 the line was closed with advent of better and faster modes of transportation such as cars and buses. Somehow, an engine and Chief Engineer's inspection car escaped being sold as scrap and remained in railway's scrap yard. In 1962, the remains of Patiala State Monorail Trainways was discovered by a railroad historian Mr. Mike Satow. Thereafter, one engine was restored to full working order by the Northern Railway Workshops at Amritsar. They also reconstructed the Chief Engineer's private inspection car on an old underframe. The two are now in running condition after being restored and are on display at National Rail Museum, New Delhi. 
- Fire Engine: Morris Fire Engine was built by the famous fire engineers M/s. John Morris and Sons Ltd of Salford, Manchester in 1914. Only two Morris-Belsize fire-engine are known to exist in world today. Apart from the one with National Rail Museum, New Delhi, a 1912 model is preserved by the Enfield and District Veteran Vehicle. The fire engine preserved at the Enfield and District Veteran Vehicle, Whitewebbs Museum of Transport, Clay Hill, London, has been converted to use pneumatic tyres by Dennis Bros. Thus, the fire engine at National Rail Museum is the only one left in the world running on solid rubber tyres.
- Saloon of Prince of Wales: this saloon was built for Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) for his visit to India.
- Saloon of Maharaja of Mysore: This is personal saloon of Maharaja of Mysore. The saloon is designed using teak, gold, ivory, etc.
- Electric Locomotive Sir Leslie Wilson: This WCG-1 locomotive belonged to the Great Indian Peninsular Railway (presently Central Railway). It is one of India's first generation electric locomotives. Railway employees fondly remember this locomotives as "khekdas" (crabs) since they make a curious moaning sound when at rest and while on the run an unusual swishing sound from the link motion can be heard. Its unusual features included an articulated body, which made them ideal for use in heavily curved ghat sections. They were in operation as shunting locomotives until 1994 at Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus.
- Electric Locomotive Sir Roger Lumley: This WCP-1 engine has wheel arrangements which are not seen these days. The locos were supplied from the Vulcan Foundry, UK in 1930. It was an electric locomotive which operated under 1500 Volts Direct Traction. It is famous for hauling the Mumbai--Pune Deccan Queen Express in the early years when it was launched. A prototype of this locomotive has been placed at the Nehru Science Centre, Mumbai for public viewing.
- CRANE TANK
- Kalka Shimla Rail Bus
- Matheran Rail Car No 8899
- Fireless Steam Locomotive
- Steam Locomotive A -885 HASANG
- Steam Locomotive X -373885 - This engine was used for trains to Ooty.
- MG Diesel SR 203 ( Fowler Diesel )
- Electric Locomotive YCG -E1/21900
- Betty Tramways ( Fowler Diesel ) - This used to run in Rajkot owned by Rajkot-Beti Tramways.
Museums in Delhi
Air Force Museum • Eternal Gandhi Multimedia Museum • Gandhi Smriti • Ghalib Museum • National Gandhi Museum • National Museum • National Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum • National Museum of Natural History • National Philatelic Museum • National Police Museum • National Rail Museum • National Science Centre • Sanskriti Kendra Museum • Shankar's International Dolls Museum •
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Rail Museum of India — Dampflokomotive der Bombay, Baroda, and Central India Railway … Deutsch Wikipedia
National Museum, New Delhi — Established August 15, 1949 Location Janpath, New Delhi, India Public transit access … Wikipedia
National Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum, New Delhi — Established 1956 Location Pragati Maidan, Bhairon Road New Delhi, India Website Official site The National Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum (NHHM) commonly know … Wikipedia
India National Rail Museum — National Rail Museum L entrée du musée en décembre 2010. Informations géographiques Pays Inde Ville New Delhi … Wikipédia en Français
National Railway Museum (disambiguation) — National Railway Museum may refer to: United Kingdom: National Railway Museum in York and its co museum, at Shildon Locomotion Museum … Wikipedia
National Gandhi Museum — Established 1961 Location Raj Ghat, New Delhi, India Director Dr. Varsha Das Website Official site The National Gandhi Museum or … Wikipedia
New Delhi — This article is about the capital city of India which is a part of the greater metropolis of Delhi. For the greater metropolis, see Delhi. New Delhi नई दिल्ली capital … Wikipedia
National Museum of Natural History, New Delhi — The National Museum of Natural History in New Delhi is one of two museums focusing on nature in India. Established in 1972 , the museum functions under the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India and is situated on Barakhamba… … Wikipedia
Gare de New Delhi — New Delhi Entrée de la gare Localisation Pays Inde Métropole Delhi Ville … Wikipédia en Français
National Science Centre, Delhi — National Science Centre Established 1992 Location Bhairon Road … Wikipedia