- Leadenhall Market
Leadenhall Market is a covered market in the
City of London, located in Gracechurch Street.
The market dates back to the fourteenth century. It is open from 07:00-16:00 Monday to Friday, and sells fresh food; among the vendors there are cheesemongers, butchers and fishmongers.
The ornate roof structure, painted green, maroon and cream, and cobbled floors of the current building, designed in 1881 by Sir
Horace Jones(who was also the architect of Billingsgate and Smithfield Markets), make the building a tourist attraction. It was used to represent the area of London near The Leaky Cauldron and Diagon Alleyin the film " Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone". It is also popular among local city workers specifically from the nearby Lloyd's Building.
Leadenhall Market [http://www.leadenhallmarket.co.uk/]
Leadenhall Market [http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/our_services/markets/leadenhall.htm]
* [http://www.touruk.co.uk/london_markets/leadenhall_market1.htm The Market]
* [http://www.victorianlondon.org/markets/leadenhall.htm Victorian views on the Market]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Leadenhall Market — 51°30′46.12″N 0°05′00.67″O / 51.5128111, 0.0835194 … Wikipédia en Français
Leadenhall Market — On the south side of Leadenhall Street between Gracechurch Street and Lime Street, at No. 88 Gracechurch Street (P.O. Directory). Partly in Lime Street Ward, partly in Bishopsgate Ward Within. After the acquisition of the Leadenhall… … Dictionary of London
Leadenhall Market — Historischer Eingang in den Markt, aus Illustrated London News, 1881 Leadenhall Market ist ein überdachter Markt in der City of London … Deutsch Wikipedia
Leadenhall Street — is a major street in the City of London.It runs from Cornhill to Aldgate. Aldgate Pump is at the junction with Aldgate. Historically it has been the location of Lloyd s of London and the East India Company. The London Metal Exchange is located at … Wikipedia
Leadenhall — Before this property came into the hands of the Mayor and Commonalty and was converted into a market it had formed a considerable estate in private ownership, and was for some years in the possession of the Nevill family, although it seems… … Dictionary of London
Leadenhall Street — East from Cornhill to Aldgate (P.O. Directory). The east end is in Aldgate Ward, the western portion in Lime Street Ward (O.S.). First mention: 1622 (Remembrancia, p. 51). In former times this street seems to have been included in… … Dictionary of London
Leadenhall Buildings — East out of Gracechurch Street at No. 80, leading into Leadenhall Market (Lockie, 1810 Elmes, 1831). Not named in the maps … Dictionary of London
Leadenhall Place — West out of Lime Street, at No. 6 to Leadenhall Market (P.O Directory). In Lime Street Ward. First mention: O.S. ed. 1848 51. Former names : In Strype s maps part of the site seems to be occupied by Queen s Colledge Passage Square (q.v.) … Dictionary of London
Market Passage — 1) In Paternoster Row, Cheapside, leading into Newgate Market (Strype, ed. 1755 Poyle, 1799). Not named in the maps. 2) In Lime Street, leading into Leadenhall Market (Strype, ed. 1755 1 Boyle, 1799). Not named in the maps … Dictionary of London
Leadenhall Chapel — Mentioned in 1444 (Cal. L. Bk. K. p.294). A fraternity of 60 priests besides other brethren and sisters founded in the Chapel by William Rouse and others in 1466, for celebration of divine service there for the benefit of the Market people (S … Dictionary of London