- Conservation Council of Western Australia
The Conservation Council of Western Australia is the umbrella body for conservation groups and organisations in Western Australia. It has been the co-ordinator, publisher and guiding body for issues of woodchipping in the South West of Western Australia, the logging of old growth forests, as well as providing input into government processes involved with all aspects of environmental protection and conservation.
Its origins were closely related to the Perth based - Environment Centre of W.A., and the development and success of the environmental movement also saw subsequent development of the regional environment centres in Denmark, Albany, Margaret River and Busselton.
In 1981 the council was involved in a class action regarding the mining in the Jarrah forests in the United States against bauxite miners Reynolds and Alcoa, the complaint was lodged with U.S. Federal District Court in Pittsburgh, Pennsyilvania.
Notable member groups of the council have included the Campaign to Save Native Forests, South West Forests Defence Foundation, West Australian Forest Alliance, and Great Walk Networking. Smaller, more transient single-purpose protest groups have found the council a positive custodian and advocate over the thirty years of its activities. Some groups are no longer current but their impact on the process of conservation and preservation in Western Australia have been significant in raising public awareness of issues.
(This list may not be correct - some groups might be inactive - and other active groups may be not listed...) (In alphabetical order...)
- Active Community Environmentalists
- Albany Community Environment Centre Inc
- Alumina Action Alliance
- Animal Rights Advocates
- Australian Association of Bush Regenerators (WA)
- Australian Marine Conservation Society
- Avon Valley Environmental Society
- Balingup Friends of the Forest Inc.
- Bassendean Preservation Group Inc
- Birds Australia WA Group
- Blackwood Environment Society
- Bridgetown-Greenbushes Friends of the Forest
- Bushwalkers of WA
- Busselton-Dunsborough Environment Centre
- Canning River Residents Environment Protection Association
- Cape Conservation Group
- Cape to Cape Alliance
- Care for Hedland Environmental Association
- Coogee Coastal Action Coalition
- Darling Range Wildlife Shelter
- Denmark Conservation Society
- Denmark Environment Centre
- Environmental Defenders Office WA
- Environment House
- Environmental Weeds Action Network (WA)
- Environs Kimberley
- FAWNA Inc.
- Foothills Save Our Trees Action Group
- Friends of Bold Park Bushland Inc.
- Friends of Moore River Estuary
- Friends of the Fitzgerald River National Park
- Friends of Star Swamp Bushland Inc
- Geographic Society of WA Inc.
- Guilderton Community Association
- Lake Meelup Preservation Society
- Leeuwin Environment
- Leighton Action Coalition
- Local Environmental Action Forum (LEAF)
- Malleefowl Preservation Group
- Margaret River Regional Environment Centre
- Men of the Trees
- Naragebup Rockingham Regional Environment Centre
- Nature and Agriculture Rehabilitation Association (NARA)
- Nature Reserves Preservation Group
- Oxfam (WA Branch)
- Peel Preservation Group
- People for Nuclear Disarmament
- Perth Bushwalkers Club
- Pilbara Wildlife Carers Association
- Pollution Action Network
- Port Kennedy LCDC
- Quinns Rocks Environmental Group Inc
- Roleystone Dieback Action Group
- Save Endangered East Kimberley Species Group Inc.
- Save Our Marine Life
- South West Environment Centre
- South-West Forest Defence Foundation Inc.
- Sustainable Energy Now, Inc.
- Sustainable Population Australia Inc. WA Branch
- Sustainable Transport Coalition
- The River Conservation Society
- The Rottnest Society
- Urban Bushland Council (WA)
- Vive La Recherche
- WA Native Orchid Study & Conservation Group
- WA Speleological Group (WASG)
- Walpole-Nornalup National Park Association
- Waterbird Conservation Group Inc.
- Western Australian Naturalists' Club
- Wetlands Conservation Society
- Wilderness Society WA
- Wildflower Society of WA
- Yamatji Land and Sea Council
- Yarloop and Districts Concerned Residents Committee
- Youth Environment Scheme
The council created the Bessie Rischbieth Conservation Award to acknowledge the contribution of a volunteer in the community conservation sector in 1994.
Class action details
Jarrah class action legal complaint : the Conservation Council of Western Australia Inc. (Plaintiffs) - v. - Aluminium Company of America (ALCOA) and Reynolds Metals Co., (Defendants), Feb. 1981. [Perth, W.A.] : Conservation Council of W.A, 1981.
- Elston, Kylie, (1993) The origins of the Conservation Council in Western Australia 1955-1967 Murdoch University theses. History, Honours
- The Environment Centre of W.A. (1996) Community resource guide : a guide to information, speakers, and resources on environmental, social justice and other community issues Perth, W.A. The Centre. "Produced with financial assistance from the Gordon Reid Foundation"
- The Environment Centre of W.A. (2001) Community resource guide, 2001 : a guide to information, speakers, and resources on environmental, social justice and other community issues . Perth W.A.: The Centre.
- McGrath, Clare B. (1984) Directory of conservation and environment groups in Western Australia assisted by the W.A. Department of Conservation and Environment. Perth, W.A. Conservation Council of W.A.. ISBN 0959339124
- Monk, Ian D (2000) A history of the Conservation Council of Western Australia 1967-1977 Murdoch University theses. Master of Arts in Public History
- "Conservation Awards". Conservation Council of Western Australia. 2007-04-17-04-17. http://conservationwa.asn.au/content/view/34/52/. Retrieved 2007-05-02. "Past Recipients: 1994 Len Howard, 1995 Shyama Peebles, 1996 Barbara Churchward, 1997 Naomi Segal, 1998 Alex Syme, 1999 Peter Robertson, 2000 Rod Whittle, 2001 Joan Payne, 2002 Dot Hesse, 2003 Graham Chittleborough, 2003 Rachel Siewert, 2003 Andrew Thomson, 2004 Dr Harry Cohen, 2005 Dennis Beros"
- The Greener times : official publication of the Conservation Council of Western Australia (Inc.). Perth, W.A : The Council, 1990-
- Forest information resource kit : an introduction to some key issues in the forest debate in Western Australia Conservation Council of WA with - WA Forest Alliance, and Wilderness Society (WA) Perth, W.A.: The Council, 1999.
- Rundle, Graeme. The Perth Environment Centre : its beginnings. Greener times, Feb. 1998, p. 12-13,
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Western Australia — Western Australian. a state in W Australia. 1,273,624; 975,920 sq. mi. (2,527,635 sq. km). Cap.: Perth. * * * State (pop., 2001: 1,906,114), western Australia. Covering 976,790 sq mi (2,529,880 sq km), it constitutes one third of the continent s… … Universalium
Vegetation Survey of Western Australia — The Vegetation Survey of Western Australia commenced as a project of the Department of Geography of the University of Western Australia to provide vegetation maps for the state on the scales of 1:250,000 and 1:1,000,000. [ Beard, J.S and Webb,… … Wikipedia
Public Works Department (Western Australia) — Infobox Government agency agency name = Public Works Department logo = logo width = 300 px logo caption = Logo of the PWD seal width = seal caption = formed = 1 January 1901 preceding1 = dissolved = 1 January 1985 superseding = Building… … Wikipedia
Hamersley, Western Australia — Infobox Australian Place | type = suburb name = Hamersley city = Perth state = wa caption = View east from Benjafield Way towards ABC tower lga = City of Stirling area = 3.267 postcode= 6022 pop = 4,965 (2006 census) dist1 = 14 | dir1 = NNW |… … Wikipedia
Mindarie, Western Australia — Coordinates: 31°41′17″S 115°42′25″E / 31.688°S 115.707°E / 31.688; 115.707 … Wikipedia
Greens Western Australia — Infobox Australian Political Party party name = The Greens (WA) Inc party party wikicolourid = Greens leader = Greens WA is not leadership oriented1 foundation = 1990 ideology = green politics headquarters = PO Box Y3022 (Ground Floor, 445 Hay… … Wikipedia
List of historic buildings in Perth, Western Australia — This is an incomplete list of historic buildings in Perth, Western Australia. The list is in chronological order and includes notable buildings situated in the Perth metropolitan area which still stand and which were generally built before 1910.… … Wikipedia
Regions of Western Australia — Regionalisations of Western Australia are systems by which Western Australia is divided into distinct geographic regions. The most commonly known regionalisation is the governmental division of the state into regions for economic development… … Wikipedia
Department of Environment and Conservation (Western Australia) — Department of Environment and Conservation Agency overview Formed 1 July 2006 Preceding agencies Department of Conservation and Land Management (CALM) Department of Environment Jurisdiction Government of Western Australia Agency executive Mr… … Wikipedia
Mitchell River National Park (Western Australia) — For the national park in Victoria, see Mitchell River National Park (Victoria). Mitchell River National Park IUCN Category II (National Park) … Wikipedia