- Cayey, Puerto Rico
subdivision_type = Country
subdivision_type1 = Territory
map_caption =Location of Cayey, Puerto Rico within Puerto Rico.
longEW=W| official_name = Cayey, Puerto Rico | nickname = Ciudad de las Brumas", "Ciudad del Torito", "Ciudad del Coquí Dorado
image_caption = Cayey landscape from PR-52 expressway
blank_info = Cayeyanos|blank_name=Gentilic|
blank_info = Cayeyanos|blank_name=Gentilic|
| map_caption = Location within the island of
established_date = August|established_title=Founded| 17, 1773 | leader_title =
Mayor| leader_title= Mayor
leader_name = Hon. Rolando Ortíz Velázquez
leader_party = Partido Popular Democrático
political party display = PPD
leader_name1= 6 - Guayama
leader_name2 = 29 | area_magnitude = | area_total_km2 = 130.01
area_land_km2 = 130| area_water_km2 = .01 | population_as_of = 2000 | population_note =
population_total = 47370|population_footnotes= | population_density_km2 = 342.6| timezone = AST | utc_offset = -4 | timezone_DST = | utc_offset_DST = -4| latd= |latm= |lats=
population_blank2_title = Racial groups
(2000 Census) [ [http://www.topuertorico.org/pdf/2kh72.pdf Demographics/Ethnic U.S 2000 census] ]
population_blank2 = 88.2% White 3.9% Black 0.2% American Indian/AN 0.1% Asian 0.1%
Native Hawaiian/PI 5.5% Some other race 2.1% Two or more races|latitude =
footnotes = Anthem – "Alma Boricua" |
Cayey (ka-YAI) is a mountain town in central
Puerto Ricolocated on the Central Mountain range, north of Salinas and Guayama; south of Cidra and Caguas; east of Aibonito and Salinas; and west of San Lorenzo Cayey is spread over 21 wards and Cayey Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city).
Cayey is notable for its surrounding mountains. The city has been actively growing since the 1990s, evidenced by its designation as a Metropolitan Area by the U.S. Census Bureau. It has experienced significant growth in commerce, and many major retailers, such as
Wal-Marthave opened stores in this city. A new coliseum and hospital facilities have also been built. Coca-Colaand Procter & Gambleare two major corporations that have manufacturing facilities in the town. Cayey is host to one of the main campuses of the University of Puerto Rico. The University of Puerto Rico at Cayeyis the only liberal arts college in Puerto Rico.
Cayey was founded on August 17, 1773 by Juan Mata Vázquez, who became its first mayor. It is said that Cayey derives its name from the Taino Indian word for "a place of waters". Its original name was "Cayey de Muesas".
1880, a fire that later acquired legendary status happened in Cayey's Mirador Echevarriaarea. The fire broke out on the property of a timber company near Charca Del Pato. Many people and dogs died, and legend has it that the dogs' barking can still be heard, and sometimes, at night, the screams of the men who burned to death can still be heard too.
During the first half of the 20th century, Cayey was basically an agricultural area of small farmers and local haciendas dedicated to the farming of crops for the local market. During the 1920s and 1930's farmers increasingly lost their land to absentee landowners, mostly American companies, that turned to the cultivation of sugar cane and, to a lesser extent, tobacco for export. In the 1950s and 1960's some manufacturing concerns established plants in Cayey taking advantage of tax incentives offered by "Operation Bootstrap", Puerto Rico's industrialization program. Among the most notable were the "Consolidated Cigars", making cigars, and what was locally known as "Gordon Shire", a textile plant. These plants created hundreds of manufacturing jobs, mostly for women, and created a housing boom. In the 1960s new housing developments, like "Reparto Montellano", provided new housing for Cayey's increasing population outside of the town proper. By that time, however, you could still see vast sugarcane fields in the "Montellano" area of Cayey and the "Central" where the sugarcane was processed. You could likewise see barns dotting the mountainsides where tobacco was hung to dry. In 1967 the University of Puerto Rico opened a campus in Cayey at the old "Henry Barracks", an abandoned WWI U.S Army base. In the early 1970s PR-52 was completed connecting the North and South coastal areas of Puerto Rico and passing through the mountains of Cayey. PR-52, a multi-lane toll highway, rises from the town of Caguas before taking the path of less resistance in the Valley of Cayey, where it ascends further through the mountains before descending to the coastal town of Salinas.
The flag derives its design and colors from the Coat of Arms, which is in the center of the flag encircled by a solid black ring. The centered Coat of Arms and has four triangles pointing to it, two white and two red.
Coat of Arms
The Coat of Arms has a three tip mountain, a red bull, and a waving blue stripe representing the abundant water in the zone and also in reverence to the primitive Matron of the town of Cayey. The shield is topped with the silver lamb symbol of San Juan of Puerto Rico, and a red book.