- Château de Pierrefonds
Château de Pierrefonds Part of Pierrefonds, Oise Paris, France
Château de Pierrefonds in July 2008
Type Medieval castle Built c. 1393-1407 Built by Louis I de Valois, Duke of Orléans Events Hundred Years War
The Château de Pierrefonds (French pronunciation: [ʃɑto də pjɛʁfɔ̃]) is a castle situated in the commune of Pierrefonds in the Oise département (Picardy) of France. It is on the southeast edge of the Forest of Compiègne, north of Paris, between Villers-Cotterêts and Compiègne.
In the 12th century, a castle was built on this site. Two centuries later, in 1392, the king Charles VI turned the County of Valois (of which Pierrefonds was part) into a Duchy and gave it to his brother Louis, Duke of Orléans. From 1393 to his death in 1407, the latter had the castle rebuilt by the court architect, Jean le Noir.
In March 1617, during the early troubled days of Louis XIII's reign, the castle, then the property of François-Annibal d'Estrées (brother of the beauty Gabrielle d'Estrée), who joined the "parti des mécontents" (party of malcontents) led by Henri II, Prince of Condé, was besieged and taken by troops sent by Richelieu, the secretary of state for war. Its demolition was started, but not carried through to the end because of the enormity of the task. The exterior works were razed, the roofs destroyed and holes made in the towers and curtain walls.
The castle remained a ruin for more than two centuries. Napoleon I bought it in 1810 for less than 3,000 francs. During the 19th century, with the rediscovery of the architectural heritage of the Middle Ages, it became a "romantic ruin": in August 1832, Louis-Philippe gave a banquet there on the occasion of the marriage of his daughter Louise to Léopold de Saxe-Cobourg Gotha, first king of Belgium. Among other artists, Corot depicted the ruins in several works between 1834 and 1866. The Château de Pierrefonds has been classified as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture since 1848.
Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte (later Napoleon III of France) visited the castle in 1850. As emperor, he asked Viollet-le-Duc in 1857 to undertake its restoration, continuators are Maurice Ouadou and Juste Lisch until 1885. There was no question of a simple repair to the habitable parts (the keep and annexes): the "picturesque" ruins in front were to be kept for decor. In 1861, the project grew in scale: the sovereign wanted to create an imperial residence, so the castle was to be entirely rebuilt. The works, which would cost 5 million francs, of which 4 million were to come from the civil list, were stopped in 1885, six years after the death of Viollet-le-Duc. The departure of Napoléon III had halted the reconstruction and, through lack of money, the decoration of rooms was unfinished. Inside, Viollet-le-Duc produced more a work of invention than restoration (polychrome paintings). He imagined how the castle ought to have been, rather than basing his work on the strict history of the building. On the other hand, with the exterior he showed an excellent knowledge of the military architecture of the 14th century.
Chateau de Pierrefonds in media
The castle has often been used as a location for filming including les Visiteurs, and The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc. The castle serves as Camelot for the BBC series Merlin, and a cut scene of this castle has been used to portray Wiz Tech Academy in Disney's TV series Wizards of Waverly Place. and also in the The Man in the Iron Mask (1998) – British/American film directed by Randall Wallace
Click on the thumbnail to enlarge.
- List of castles in France
- Domaine du Bois d'Aucourt d'Adolphe Clément-Bayard à Pierrefonds, a former hunting lodge of Louis XIV.
- Ministry of Culture database entry for Château de Pierrefonds (French)
- Ministry of Culture photos
- Pierrefonds and the Château de Pierrefonds
- Château de Pierrefonds on www.casteland.com
- Article and photos on the Château de Pierrefonds
- Google Map
- This article incorporates information from
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chateau de Pierrefonds — Château de Pierrefonds Château de Pierrefonds Vue générale du château en 2004. Présentation Période ou style médiéval … Wikipédia en Français
Château De Pierrefonds — Vue générale du château en 2004. Présentation Période ou style médiéval … Wikipédia en Français
Château de pierrefonds — Vue générale du château en 2004. Présentation Période ou style médiéval … Wikipédia en Français
Château de Pierrefonds — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Pierrefonds. Château de Pierrefonds Vue générale du château en 2004 … Wikipédia en Français
Pierrefonds (Oise) — Pierrefonds … Deutsch Wikipedia
Pierrefonds-roxboro — 45° 30′ 18″ N 73° 49′ 58″ W / 45.504886, 73.832867 … Wikipédia en Français
Pierrefonds, Quebec — Pierrefonds was a city on the Island of Montreal. It ceased to exist on January 1, 2002. The city was located along the Rivière des Prairies at the western end of the island. Its final population was 54,963. History Its origin dates back to the… … Wikipedia
Pierrefonds — may refer to:* Pierrefonds, Oise commune in Oise, France ** Château de Pierrefonds, castle in Pierrefonds, restored by Eugène Viollet le Duc * Pierrefonds Roxboro, a borough of Montreal, Canada … Wikipedia
Chateau-fort — Château fort Le château de Bonaguil est considéré comme le dernier des châteaux forts du Moyen Âge … Wikipédia en Français
Chateau fort — Château fort Le château de Bonaguil est considéré comme le dernier des châteaux forts du Moyen Âge … Wikipédia en Français