- 1900 VFL season
Infobox Victorian Football League season
year = 1900
imagesize = 100px
caption = Melbourne premiership player Jack Leith
clubs = 8
home-and-away season = 14 rounds
premiership team = Melbourne
count = 1st
minor premiers = Fitzroy
mpcount = 2nd
champion of the season =
cclub = Collingwood
top goal kicker =
Albert Thurgood(25)Results and statistics for the Victorian Football League season of 1900.
In 1900, the VFL competition was comprised of eight teams of 18 on-the-field players each, with no "reserves", although any of the 18 players who had left the playing field for any reason could later resume their place on the field at any time during the match.
Each team played each other twice in a home-and-away season of 14 rounds.
Once the 14 round home-and-away season had finished, the 1900 VFL "Premiers" were determined by the specific format and conventions of the 1898 VFL Premiership System.
ection B ladder
* The 1900 VFL Premiership team was Melbourne.
* The VFL's leading goalkicker was
Albert Thurgoodof Essendon with 25 goals.
* "The Argus" newspaper's "Player of the Year", Collingwood's
Fred Leach, was declared 1900 Champion of the Colony.
* St Kilda took the "wooden spoon" in 1900.
* St Kilda footballer
Dave Strickland, father of Shirley Strickland, wins the 1900, 130-yard Stawell Giftin 12 seconds, off a handicap of 10 yards.
* Collingwood's highly talented "loose cannon"
Dick Condonis given life for abusing a field umpire. [After three appeals, Condon's suspension for life was lifted in 1902, and Condon resumed playing for Collingwood.]
* The first round match between St Kilda and Melbourne ends in a draw. The VFL changed the score after a protest by St Kilda, giving St Kilda its first VFL win after 48 losses.
* By the end of the finals round-robin matches, more than 1,000 points had been scored against St Kilda in a single season. [At the end of the 1900 season, St Kilda had scored 439 points against their opponents' collective score of 1,029 points.]
* Melbourne wins the 1900 premiership, despite only having won 6 of 14 home-and-away series matches.
* Hogan, P., "The Tigers Of Old", The Richmond Football Club, (Richmond), 1996. ISBN 0-646-18748-1
* Rogers, S. & Brown, A., "Every Game Ever Played: VFL/AFL Results 1897-1997 (Sixth Edition)", Viking Books, (Ringwood), 1998. ISBN 0-670-90809-6
* Ross, J. (ed), "100 Years of Australian Football 1897-1996: The Complete Story of the AFL, All the Big Stories, All the Great Pictures, All the Champions, Every AFL Season Reported", Viking, (Ringwood), 1996. ISBN 0-670-86814-0
* [http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1900.html 1900 Season - AFL Tables]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
1900 VFA season — The 1900 VFA Premiership was won by the Footscray FC.1900 VFA Top 4*Premiers: Footscray FC *Runners Up: Williamstown FC *3rd: Richmond FC *4th: Prahran FCLinks*Victorian Football Association/Victorian Football League History (1877 2008) *List of… … Wikipedia
1900 VFL Grand Final — The 1900 VFL Grand Final took place on September 22, 1900 at the East Melbourne Cricket Ground between VFL clubs Melbourne and Fitzroy. Although Melbourne only won eight of their 17 home and away fixtures, their fifth placing was enough to… … Wikipedia
1898 VFL season — Infobox Victorian Football League season year = 1898 imagesize = caption = clubs = 8 home and away season = 14 rounds premiership team = Fitzroy count = 1st minor premiers = Essendon mpcount = 1st champion of the season = Dick Condon cclub =… … Wikipedia
1927 VFL season — Infobox VFL Premiership Season year = 1927 imagesize = 100px caption = Brownlow winner Syd Coventry teams = 12 premiers = AFL Col count = 6th minor premiers = AFL Col mpcount = 9th matches = top goal scorer = Gordon Coventry (AFL Col) brownlow… … Wikipedia
VfL Halle 1896 — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Halle fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen Halle 1896 e.V. nickname = founded = July 16, 1896 ground = Stadion am Zoo capacity = 6,000 chairman = flagicon|Germany Volker Flemming manager = flagicon|Germany… … Wikipedia
Early VFL Final systems — The perceived need for a structured final system was, perhaps, the most important single reason that eight senior clubs broke away from the Victorian Football Association (VFA) in 1896, and formed the Victorian Football League (VFL) in 1897.The… … Wikipedia
Collingwood Football Club (VFL) — This article is about the Collingwood Football Club reserve team which participates in the Victorian Football League. For full information and history about the parent club and its AFL team, see Collingwood Football Club. Collingwood Names Full… … Wikipedia
2010 Melbourne Football Club season — Melbourne Football Club 2010 season Melbourne s guernsey for the 2010 season President Jim Stynes Coach … Wikipedia
2006 Collingwood Football Club season — Collingwood Football Club 2006 season Collingwood s guernsey for the 2006 season President Eddie McGuire Coach … Wikipedia
1883 VFA season — The 1883 VFA Premiership was won by the Geelong Football Club.1883 VFA Top 4*Premiers: Geelong Football Club *Runners Up: South Melbourne FC *3rd: Carlton FC *4th: Melbourne FCLinks*Victorian Football Association/Victorian Football League History … Wikipedia