- 1902 VFL season
Infobox Victorian Football League season
year = 1902
imagesize = 120px
caption = Ted Rowell
clubs = 8
home-and-away season = 14 rounds
premiership team = Collingwood
count = 1st
minor premiers = Collingwood
mpcount = 1st
champion of the season = Ted Rowell
cclub = Collingwood
top goal kicker = Charlie Baker (30)
Results and statistics for the Victorian Football League season of 1902.
In 1902, the VFL competition was comprised of eight teams of 18 on-the-field players each, with no "reserves", although any of the 18 players who had left the playing field for any reason could later resume their place on the field at any time during the match.
Each team played each other twice in a home-and-away season of 14 rounds.
Once the 14 round home-and-away season had finished, the 1902 VFL "Premiers" were determined by the specific format and conventions of the amended "Argus" system.
List of Australian Football League premiersfor a complete list."
* The 1902 VFL Premiership team was Collingwood.
* The VFL's leading goalkicker was Ted Rowell of Collingwood with 33 goals.
* Despite having been accused of "tanking" in Collingwood's (24 May) fourth home-and-away match against Fitzroy, "The Argus" newspaper's "Player of the Year", Collingwood's Ted Rowell, was declared 1902 Champion of the Season.
* St Kilda took the "wooden spoon" in 1902.
* Due to the
Federation of Australiaon 1 January 1901, Victoria was no longer a "Colony". Thus, the former "Champion of the Colony" award was renamed the "Champion of the Season".
* The VFL institutes the amended "Argus" system to determine the season's premiers.
* Collingwood's Charlie Pannam becomes the first VFL player to play 100 VFL games (at the end of the 1902 season, he had played in 104 of the 106 VFL games that Collingwood had played since the VFL's first round of games in 1897).
* Hogan, P., "The Tigers Of Old", The Richmond Football Club, (Richmond), 1996. ISBN 0-646-18748-1
* Rogers, S. & Brown, A., "Every Game Ever Played: VFL/AFL Results 1897-1997 (Sixth Edition)", Viking Books, (Ringwood), 1998. ISBN 0-670-90809-6
* Ross, J. (ed), "100 Years of Australian Football 1897-1996: The Complete Story of the AFL, All the Big Stories, All the Great Pictures, All the Champions, Every AFL Season Reported", Viking, (Ringwood), 1996. ISBN 0-670-86814-0
* [http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1902.html 1902 Season - AFL Tables]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
1902 VFA season — The 1902 VFA Premiership was won by the Richmond FC.1902 VFA Top 4*Premiers: Richmond FC *Runners Up: Port Melbourne FC *3rd: North Melbourne FC *4th: Williamstown FCLinks*Victorian Football Association/Victorian Football League History (1877… … Wikipedia
1931 VFL season — Infobox VFL Premiership Season year = 1931 imagesize = 120px caption = George Jocka Todd teams = 12 premiers = AFL Gee count = 1st minor premiers = AFL Gee mpcount = 2nd matches = top goal scorer = Harry Vallence (AFL Car) brownlow medalist =… … Wikipedia
1900 VFL season — Infobox Victorian Football League season year = 1900 imagesize = 100px caption = Melbourne premiership player Jack Leith clubs = 8 home and away season = 14 rounds premiership team = Melbourne count = 1st minor premiers = Fitzroy mpcount = 2nd… … Wikipedia
VfL Osnabrück — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Osnabrück fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen von 1899 e.V. Osnabrück nickname = The Violets founded = 1899 ground = Osnatel Arena (formerly Bremer Brücke) capacity = 18,415 chairman = flagicon|Germany Dr.… … Wikipedia
1902 in sports — yearbox in?=in sports cp=19th century c=20th century cf=21st century yp1=1899 yp2=1900 yp3=1901 year=1902 ya1=1903 ya2=1904 ya3=1905 dp3=1870s dp2=1880s dp1=1890s d=1900s da=0 dn1=1910s dn2=1920s dn3=1930s|Association footballpain* Real Madrid… … Wikipedia
Early VFL Final systems — The perceived need for a structured final system was, perhaps, the most important single reason that eight senior clubs broke away from the Victorian Football Association (VFA) in 1896, and formed the Victorian Football League (VFL) in 1897.The… … Wikipedia
Collingwood Football Club (VFL) — This article is about the Collingwood Football Club reserve team which participates in the Victorian Football League. For full information and history about the parent club and its AFL team, see Collingwood Football Club. Collingwood Names Full… … Wikipedia
2010 Melbourne Football Club season — Melbourne Football Club 2010 season Melbourne s guernsey for the 2010 season President Jim Stynes Coach … Wikipedia
2006 Collingwood Football Club season — Collingwood Football Club 2006 season Collingwood s guernsey for the 2006 season President Eddie McGuire Coach … Wikipedia
Ted Alley — Personal information Full name Edwin John Alley … Wikipedia