- 1903 VFL season
Infobox Victorian Football League season
year = 1903
imagesize = 120px
caption = Collingwood premiership player Bill Proudfoot
clubs = 8
home-and-away season = 14 rounds
premiership team = Collingwood
count = 2nd
minor premiers = Collingwood
mpcount = 2nd
champion of the season =
cclub = Essendon
top goal kicker =
Results and statistics for the Victorian Football League season of 1903.
In 1903, the VFL competition was comprised of eight teams of 18 on-the-field players each, with no "reserves", although any of the 18 players who had left the playing field for any reason could later resume their place on the field at any time during the match.
Each team played each other twice in a home-and-away season of 14 rounds.
Once the 14 round home-and-away season had finished, the 1903 VFL "Premiers" were determined by the specific format and conventions of the amended "Argus" system".
* The 1903 VFL Premiership team was Collingwood.
* The VFL's leading goalkicker was
Teddy Lockwoodof Collingwood with 35 goals.
* "The Argus" newspaper's "Player of the Year", Essendon's
Hugh Gavin, was declared 1903 Champion of the Season.
* South Melbourne took the "wooden spoon" in 1903.
* On 5 May, the second round match between Geelong and Carlton was cancelled. A railway strike prevented the Carlton team from getting to Geelong.
* On 23 May, a crowd of 18,000 attended the fourth round match between Fitzroy and Collingwood at the
Sydney Cricket Ground. Fitzroy won 7.20 (62) to 6.9 (45). Players wore large numbers on the back of their guernseys to assist the crowd.
* On Monday, 3 August 1903, the postponed second round match between Geelong and Carlton was played at the
Sydney Cricket Ground. Geelong won 8.7 (55) to 6.9 (45).
* 1903 was the first time that the VFL Premiership was decided on the last kick of the day. The usually accurate Fitzroy captain
Gerald Brosnanmissed the goal from 30 metres out, and Fitzroy lost to Collingwood by two points.
* Ross, J. (ed), "100 Years of Australian Football 1897-1996: The Complete Story of the AFL, All the Big Stories, All the Great Pictures, All the Champions, Every AFL Season Reported", Viking, (Ringwood), 1996. ISBN 0-670-86814-0
* [http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1903.html 1903 Season - AFL Tables]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
1903 VFL Grand Final — The 1903 VFL Grand Final took place on September 12, 1903 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground between VFL clubs Collingwood and Fitzroy. Gerald Brosnan had a chance to win Fitzroy the premiership with a set shot for goal off the last kick of the game … Wikipedia
1898 VFL season — Infobox Victorian Football League season year = 1898 imagesize = caption = clubs = 8 home and away season = 14 rounds premiership team = Fitzroy count = 1st minor premiers = Essendon mpcount = 1st champion of the season = Dick Condon cclub =… … Wikipedia
VfL Osnabrück — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Osnabrück fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen von 1899 e.V. Osnabrück nickname = The Violets founded = 1899 ground = Osnatel Arena (formerly Bremer Brücke) capacity = 18,415 chairman = flagicon|Germany Dr.… … Wikipedia
1903 in sports — yearbox in?=in sports cp=19th century c=20th century cf=21st century yp1=1900 yp2=1901 yp3=1902 year=1903 ya1=1904 ya2=1905 ya3=1906 dp3=1870s dp2=1880s dp1=1890s d=1900s da=0 dn1=1910s dn2=1920s dn3=1930s|Baseball*In the winter Frank Farrell and … Wikipedia
Early VFL Final systems — The perceived need for a structured final system was, perhaps, the most important single reason that eight senior clubs broke away from the Victorian Football Association (VFA) in 1896, and formed the Victorian Football League (VFL) in 1897.The… … Wikipedia
Collingwood Football Club (VFL) — This article is about the Collingwood Football Club reserve team which participates in the Victorian Football League. For full information and history about the parent club and its AFL team, see Collingwood Football Club. Collingwood Names Full… … Wikipedia
2010 Melbourne Football Club season — Melbourne Football Club 2010 season Melbourne s guernsey for the 2010 season President Jim Stynes Coach … Wikipedia
2006 Collingwood Football Club season — Collingwood Football Club 2006 season Collingwood s guernsey for the 2006 season President Eddie McGuire Coach … Wikipedia
Collingwood Football Club — Collingwood Names Full name Collingwood Football Club Nickname(s) Magpies, Pies Motto Floreat Pica … Wikipedia
Carlton–Collingwood AFL rivalry — Collingwood Carlton AFL rivalry Dick Lee taking a mark for Collingwood against Carlton in Round 1, 1914. First contested 7 May 1892 Number of meetings 243 Most recent meeting 16 … Wikipedia