- Dark Room Notes
Dark Room Notes Background information Origin Dublin/Galway/Wicklow, Ireland Genres electro/synthpop Years active 2004 – present Labels BBE Records Members Ronan Gaughan
Past members Ruairi Cavanagh
Notable instruments Vocals, guitar, synth, programming, glockenspiel, drums
Dark Room Notes are a three-piece electro/synthpop band based in Dublin, Ireland. The three founding members, Ronan Gaughan, Ruairi Ferrie and former drummer Ruairi Cavanagh originally hail from Galway. Later members Arran Murphy is from Wicklow, and Darragh Shanahan, who was the band's drummer for four years, comes from Dublin.
The band's music has been described as electro/synthpop with a slightly sombre overtone and introverted lyrical sensibility. According to Village  they "seem to gather comparisons with the murkier side of electro pop, usually bands like New Order, Interpol or Joy Division. While the comparisons have some basis, DRN are far from gloomy, just a bit ... cool... But this cool does not translate into pretension, just humorous and knowledgeable asides to their favourite artists, photographers and filmmakers".
The band's debut album We Love You Dark Matter was nominated for the Choice Music Prize.
Dark Room Notes formed in Galway in 2004, recruiting drummer Shanahan in 2006. They performed their first gig in Galway in December 2006. Their debut single Love Like Nicotine was released in late 2007 on Gonzo Records, and became an alternative radio hit. This was followed in summer 2007 by the Dead Start Program EP, which featured lead single Slow Puncture and an early recording of Shake Shake My Ceiling.
Producers who have worked with the quartet include Flood, Tom Rixton and Ciarán Bradshaw.
The band recorded their debut album We Love You Dark Matter in London during the summer of 2008, with producer Ciaran Bradshaw. The album was released on Good Friday 2009 to widespread critical acclaim. DRN spent the ensuing months touring Ireland and playing all of the major festivals before being signed by BBE Records in the autumn. BBE released We Love You Dark Matter worldwide in spring 2010, preceded by the re-release of Love Like Nicotine on February 8.
In March 2010 DRN travelled to the CMW music festival in Toronto and SXSW in Austin, Texas.
In April 2010 drummer Darragh Shanahan announced his departure from the band with immediate effect. The remaining three members chose not to replace him, but to continue on using a drum machine.
The band have completed the recording of their second album, entitled simply Dark Room Notes, which will be released on BBE in autumn 2011.
Dead Start Program was re-released on BBE on April 18, 2011.
- Ronan Gaughan — Vocals, guitar, synth, programming
- Ruairi Ferrie — Vocals, guitar, synth, programming, glockenspiel
- Arran Murphy — Vocals, synth, glockenspiel
- Ruairi Cavanagh — Drums
- Darragh Shanahan — Drums
Albums and EPs
- Dead Start Program (GON002, CDS, October 12, 2007 - 4 track EP)
- We Love You Dark Matter (GON003 April 10, 2009 - CD and Download)
- We Love You Dark Matter (BBE12ALP April 2010 - CD, 12" and Download)
- Dead Start Program (BBE April 18, 2011 - Download only)
- Love Like Nicotine (GON001, CDS and Limited Edition 7" Vinyl, June 2007 - 3 track single with remixes)
- Love Like Nicotine (BBE February 2010 - Download only)
- Elm (BBE Autumn 2010 - Download only)
- ^ "Dark Room Notes Written By Tom Rowe". Village. October 23, 2007. http://www.village.ie/Arts/Music/Dark_Room_Notes/. Retrieved 2008-01-21.
- ^ Charlie Taylor (January 13, 2010). "Bell X1 on Choice prize shortlist". The Irish Times. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0113/breaking57.htm. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- ^ "Choice Music Prize nominees revealed". RTÉ. January 13, 2010. http://www.rte.ie/arts/2010/0113/choicemusicprize.html. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- ^ "Debut Dark Room Notes EP - Dead Start Program « Keep It Fresh". Keep It Fresh. October 9, 2007. http://keepitfresh.wordpress.com/2007/10/09/debut-dark-room-notes-ep-dead-start-program/. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- ^ Lauren Murphy. "Dead Start Program EP". entertainment.ie. http://entertainment.ie/album-review/Dark-Room-Notes---Dead-Start-Program-EP/5232.htm. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dark Room Sex Game — Début du projet 1er février 2008 Date de sortie 5 février 2008 Version … Wikipédia en Français
Dark Passion Play World Tour — The band live in Melbourne, Australia, on January 30, 2008 Tour by Nightwish Associated album … Wikipedia
Dark Castle — Developer(s) Silicon Beach Software Designer(s) Mark Stephen Pierce (graphics) Jonathan Gay (programming) … Wikipedia
Dark Days in Monkey City — Genre Nature Documentary Drama Written by Ian McGee … Wikipedia
Dark Energy Digital — Ltd. Type Private Industry Video games Founded 1998 Headquarters … Wikipedia
Dark Angel (TV series) — Dark Angel Genre Science fiction Action Drama Created by James Cameron Charles H. Eglee … Wikipedia
Notes on a Scandal (film) — Notes on a Scandal Promotional movie poster Directed by Richard Eyre Produced by … Wikipedia
Notes of a Native Son — First edition c … Wikipedia
Dark Kingdom — This article is about the villain group. For the corresponding story arc, see List of Sailor Moon episodes (season 1). For other uses, see Dark Kingdom (disambiguation). Sailor Moon villain group The Dark Kingdom as seen in the anime, with Queen… … Wikipedia
Dark Phoenix Saga — Infobox comics story arc title = Dark Phoenix Saga imagesize = 200 caption = Dark Phoenix on the cover of the Dark Phoenix Trade paperback (comics) TPB; art originally from Uncanny X Men #135, by John Byrne publisher = Marvel Comics date =… … Wikipedia