- 1962 VFL season
Infobox VFL Premiership Season
year = 1962
teams = 12
premiers = AFL Ess
minor premiers = AFL Ess
top goal scorer =
Doug Wade(AFL Gee)
brownlow medalist =
Alistair Lord(AFL Gee)
Results and statistics for the
VFL/AFLseason of 1962.
In 1962, the VFL competition was comprised of twelve teams of 18 on-the-field players each, plus two substitute players, known as the 19th man and the 20th man. A player could be substituted for any reason; however, once substituted, a player could not return to the field of play under any circumstances.
Teams played each other in a home-and-away season of 18 rounds; matches 12 to 18 were the "home-and-way reverse" of matches 1 to 7.
Once the 18 round home-and-away season had finished, the 1962 VFL "Premiers" were determined by the specific format and conventions of the "Page-McIntyre system".
Grand Final Teams
* The 1962 VFL Premiership team was Essendon.
* The VFL's leading goalkicker was
Doug Wadeof Geelong who kicked 68 goals (including 6 goals in the final series).
* The winner of the 1952
Brownlow Medalwas Alistair Lordof Geelong with 28 votes.
* South Melbourne took the "wooden spoon" in 1962.
* Having abandoned live telecasts of the last quarters of VFL matches at the end of 1960, and having forbidden Saturday evening replays during the 1961 season, the VFL agrees to allow television stations to broadcast one hour of replays each Saturday evening, provided no more than 30 minutes of any one match was broadcast. A separate arrangement was made to allow a replay of the entire Grand Final match.
* St Kilda wins its first match against Collingwood at Victoria Park since round 2, in 1919.
* In September, the VFL buys land to the east of Melbourne, at
Mulgrave, Victoria, upon which it will later erect VFL Park.
* The first Preliminary Final between Carlton and Geelong is tied, requiring a preliminary Final Replay on Saturday 22 September, which Carlton won by 5 points.
**Geelong could well have won the second match if its hot-headed full-forward
Doug Wadehad not interfered with Carlton full-back Peter Barry in the process of him (Wade) taking a strong mark directly in front of the Geelong goals in the last moments of the match. Although there was no doubt that Wade had marked the ball, Barry was given a free kick for Wade's "holding the man".
* In the Grand Final, a badly injured Geoff Leek plays one of the best matches in his career to nullify Carlton's
John Nichollsand pave the way for a sound 32 point win by Essendon.
* Hogan, P., "The Tigers Of Old", The Richmond Football Club, (Richmond), 1996. ISBN 0-646-18748-1
* Maplestone, M., "Flying Higher: History of the Essendon Football Club 1872-1996", Essendon Football Club, (Melbourne), 1996. ISBN 0-959-17402-8
* Rogers, S. & Brown, A., "Every Game Ever Played: VFL/AFL Results 1897-1997 (Sixth Edition)", Viking Books, (Ringwood), 1998. ISBN 0-670-90809-6
* Ross, J. (ed), "100 Years of Australian Football 1897-1996: The Complete Story of the AFL, All the Big Stories, All the Great Pictures, All the Champions, Every AFL Season Reported", Viking, (Ringwood), 1996. ISBN 0-670-86814-0
* Ross, J. (ed.), "The Australian Football Hall of Fame", HarperCollinsPublishers, (Pymble), 1999. ISBN 0-7322-6426-X
* [http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1962.html 1962 Season - AFL Tables]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
VfL Bochum — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Bochum fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen Bochum 1848 Fußballgemeinschaft e.V. nickname = Die Unabsteigbaren ( The Unrelegables , only prior to 1994) founded = 1848 ground = rewirpowerSTADION capacity =… … Wikipedia
VfL 06 Benrath — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Benrath fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen Benrath 1906 e.V. nickname = founded = 1906 ground = Münchner Straße capacity = 15,000 chairman = manager = league = Kreisliga A Gruppe 2, Kreis Düsseldorf season =… … Wikipedia
1962 in sports — yearbox in?=in sports cp=19th century c=20th century cf=21st century yp1=1959 yp2=1960 yp3=1961 year=1962 ya1=1963 ya2=1964 ya3=1965 dp3=1930s dp2=1940s dp1=1950s d=1960s da=0 dn1=1970s dn2=1980s dn3=1990s|Artistic Gymnastics*World Artistic… … Wikipedia
1962–63 DFB-Pokal — 1963 DFB Pokal Country Germany Teams 16 Champions Hamburg Runner up Borussia Dortmund … Wikipedia
List of Australian Football League pre-season and night series premiers — The List of Australian Football League pre season and night series premiers is a complete chronological listing of the winners of the Victorian Football League (VFL) and Australian Football League (AFL) pre season and night series competitions.… … Wikipedia
Collingwood Football Club (VFL) — This article is about the Collingwood Football Club reserve team which participates in the Victorian Football League. For full information and history about the parent club and its AFL team, see Collingwood Football Club. Collingwood Names Full… … Wikipedia
Australian Football League pre-season competition — The Australian Football League pre season competition, which is known at present as the NAB Cup, is a competition held before the beginning of the Australian Football League (AFL) premiership season. It is currently a four round competition held… … Wikipedia
2010 Melbourne Football Club season — Melbourne Football Club 2010 season Melbourne s guernsey for the 2010 season President Jim Stynes Coach … Wikipedia
2006 Collingwood Football Club season — Collingwood Football Club 2006 season Collingwood s guernsey for the 2006 season President Eddie McGuire Coach … Wikipedia
2010–11 GNK Dinamo Zagreb season — Dinamo Zagreb 2010–11 season Chairman Mirko Barišić Manager Velimir Zajec (until 9 August 2010) Vahid Halilhodžić (from 17 August 2010 until 6 May 2011) Marijo Tot (from 7 May 2011 until 26 May 2011) Stadium Maksimir Stadium … Wikipedia