- Roman Catholic Diocese of Argyll and the Isles
Diocese of Argyll and the Isles
Dioecesis Ergadiensis et Insularum
Gaelic: Sgìr-Easbuig Earraghàidheal 's nan Eilean
Location Country Scotland Territory Most of Argyll and Bute, southern part of Highland, and Outer Hebrides, plus the Isle of Arran Ecclesiastical province St Andrews and Edinburgh Metropolitan St Andrews and Edinburgh Statistics Area 31,080 km2 (12,000 sq mi) Population
(as of 2006)
Parishes 26 Information Denomination Roman Catholic Rite Latin Rite Established 4 March 1878 Cathedral St. Columba's Cathedral, Oban Secular priests 29 Current leadership Pope Benedict XVI Bishop Joseph Toal Metropolitan Archbishop Keith O'Brien Vicars General James L. Canon MacNeil Episcopal Vicars
- James L. Canon MacNeil
- Donald J. Canon MacKay
- John P. Mackinnon
Emeritus Bishops Ian Murray Website www.dioceseofargyllandtheisles.org
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Argyll and the Isles (Latin Diocesis Ergadiensis et Insularum) is an ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland, in the Province of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh.
The diocese covers an area of 31,080 km² and has a Catholic population of 10,546 (14.1%) out of a total population of 74,546 (2006 figures). The see is in the town of Oban where the seat is located at St. Columba's Cathedral.
The diocese was erected on March 5, 1878 following the restoration of the Scottish Catholic hierarchy. On 16 October 2008 Pope Benedict XVI appointed Monsignor Joseph Toal to succeed the Right Reverend Ian Murray as tenth Bishop of Argyll and the Isles.
Past and present ordinaries
The following is a list of the Bishops of Argyll and the Isles:
- Angus MacDonald (appointed 22 March 1878 – translated to the Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh on 15 July 1892)
- George John Smith (appointed 31 December 1892 – died 18 January 1918)
- Donald Martin (appointed 2 April 1919 – died 6 December 1938)
- Donald Alphonsus Campbell (appointed 5 October 1939 – translated to the Archdiocese of Glasgow on 6 January 1945)
- Kenneth Grant (appointed 15 December 1945 – died 7 September 1959)
- Stephen McGill, P.S.S. (appointed 4 April 1960 – translated to the Diocese of Paisley 25 July 1968)
- Colin Aloysius MacPherson (appointed 2 December 1968 – died 24 March 1990)
- Roderick Wright (appointed 11 December 1990 – resigned 19 September 1996)
- (Keith Michael Patrick O'Brien, appointed apostolic administrator June 1996 – resigned October 1999)
- Ian Murray (appointed 3 November 1999 – retired 16 October 2008)
- Joseph Anthony Toal (current bishop, appointed 16 October 2008)
- Diocesan statistics
- "Diocese of Argyll and The Isles". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- Diocese of Argyll and the Isles
- Giga-Catholic Information
- Catholic Hierarchy
Roman Catholic dioceses in Scotland Province of Glasgow Province of St. Andrews and Edinburgh Apostolic Exarchate for Ukrainians This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.