- Queen's Commendation for Brave Conduct
Infobox Military Award
name=Queen's Commendation for Brave Conduct
caption=Insignia civil (left) and Military (right)
United Kingdomand Commonwealth
for= gallantry entailing risk to life and meriting national recognition
status= Not issued since 1994
Queen's Gallantry Medal
Queen’s Commendation for Bravery in the Air
Instituted in 1939 by King George VI as the King's Commendation for Brave Conduct, it acknowledged brave acts by civilians and members of the military in non-warlike circumstances during a time of war or in peacetime where the action would not otherwise be recognised by an existing award. In 1954 it became the Queen's Commendation for Brave Conduct. The award was replaced in 1994 by
Queen's Commendation for Bravery
There is no entitlement to post-nominals.
* There is no ribbon, but the award was evidenced by a certificate and at first by a gold and red coloured badge bearing the design of a sword in a wreath, surmounted by a crown.
* The badge was replaced at a later stage by another badge - in the form a silver laurel leaf for civilians and a bronze oak leaf for the military equivalent, the Mention in Despatches - the leaves being attached to the ribbon of the War Medal or Defence Medal if held by the recipient, or appropriate campaign medal in other circumstances.
* [http://www.honours.gov.uk/honours/bravery.aspx UK Honours]
* [http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/awards/imperial.cfm#qcbc Australian Honours]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Commendation for Brave Conduct — Medal and ribbon … Wikipedia
Commendation for Distinguished Service — Insig … Wikipedia
Distinguished Conduct Medal — Distinguished Conduct Medal … Wikipedia
Victoria Cross — For the abbreviation, see VC. For other uses, see Victoria Cross (disambiguation). Victoria Cross … Wikipedia
Distinguished Service Order — For other uses, see Distinguished Service Order (disambiguation). Distinguished Service Order Medal of the order Awarded by United Kingdom … Wikipedia
Military Cross — For the Polish military award, see Order of the Military Cross. Military Cross Military Cross Awarded by United Kingdom and Commonwealth … Wikipedia
Distinguished Service Medal (United Kingdom) — For other uses, see Distinguished Service Medal (disambiguation). Distinguished Service Medal Obverse of m … Wikipedia
Donald Campbell — For other people named Donald Campbell, see Donald Campbell (disambiguation). Donald Campbell CBE Born Donald Malcolm Campbell 23 March 1921(1921 03 23) Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, England … Wikipedia
Military awards and decorations of the United Kingdom — Awards and decorations of the British Military are military orders, decorations and medals which recognize service and personal accomplishments while a member of the British armed forces. Together with military badges, such awards are a means to… … Wikipedia
Mentioned in Despatches — A soldier Mentioned in Despatches (or Dispatches) (MID) is one whose name appears in an official report written by a superior officer and sent to the high command, in which is described the soldier s gallant or meritorious action in the face of… … Wikipedia