- 1907 VFL season
Infobox Victorian Football League season
year = 1907
imagesize = 120px
caption = Dave McNamara
clubs = 8
home-and-away season = 14 rounds
premiership team = Carlton
count = 2nd
minor premiers = Carlton
mpcount = 2nd
champion of the season =
cclub = St Kilda
top goal kicker = Dick Lee (45)Results and statistics for the Victorian Football League season of 1907.
In 1907, the VFL competition was comprised of eight teams of 18 on-the-field players each, with no "reserves", although any of the 18 players who had left the playing field for any reason could later resume their place on the field at any time during the match.
Each team played each other twice in a home-and-away season of 14 rounds.
Once the 14 round home-and-away season had finished, the 1907 VFL "Premiers" were determined by the specific format and conventions of the amended "Argus" system".
List of Australian Football League premiersfor a complete list."
* The 1907 VFL Premiership team was Carlton.
* The VFL's leading goalkicker was Dick Lee of Collingwood with 47 goals.
* "The Argus" newspaper's "Player of the Year", St Kilda's
Dave McNamara, was declared 1907 Champion of the Season.
* Essendon took the "wooden spoon" in 1907.
* The VFL played two inter-provincial matches against Ballarat and Bendigo, winning both matches. It was the first such match against Bendigo.
* Due to the "Special" football train arriving late, the start of the third match between Fitzroy and Geelong at
Brunswick Street Ovalwas delayed by twenty minutes.
* In round 6, St Kilda defeats Melbourne 15.18 (108) to 7.9 (51). It is the first time in VFL competition that St Kilda scores 100 points (this was the club's 173rd VFL game).
* The playing surface in each of the season's Semi-Finals that had been played on the
Melbourne Cricket Ground— South Melbourne v. Collingwood, and Carlton v. St Kilda — had been so rock hard and dusty that the two match winners demanded that the MCG be watered before the next Saturday, unless there was substantial rain, The VFL acquiesced to this request, the ground was watered, and the ensuing Premiership final, which Carlton won by 5 points, was on significantly softer ground.
* In the 1907 VFL and AFL pre-season, in direct defiance of a VFA edict, then VFA team Richmond played a practice match against VFL team Geelong. In October 1907, Richmond no longer comfortable with the VFA, applied to join the VFL. Its application was accepted nine days later, and Richmond competed in the 1908 VFL season, winning its first match.
* Rogers, S. & Brown, A., "Every Game Ever Played: VFL/AFL Results 1897-1997 (Sixth Edition)", Viking Books, (Ringwood), 1998. ISBN 0-670-90809-6
* Ross, J. (ed), "100 Years of Australian Football 1897-1996: The Complete Story of the AFL, All the Big Stories, All the Great Pictures, All the Champions, Every AFL Season Reported", Viking, (Ringwood), 1996. ISBN 0-670-86814-0
* [http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1907.html 1907 Season - AFL Tables]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
1907 in sports — yearbox in?=in sports cp=19th century c=20th century cf=21st century yp1=1904 yp2=1905 yp3=1906 year=1907 ya1=1908 ya2=1909 ya3=1910 dp3=1870s dp2=1880s dp1=1890s d=1900s da=0 dn1=1910s dn2=1920s dn3=1930s|Baseball*World Series Chicago Cubs… … Wikipedia
Early VFL Final systems — The perceived need for a structured final system was, perhaps, the most important single reason that eight senior clubs broke away from the Victorian Football Association (VFA) in 1896, and formed the Victorian Football League (VFL) in 1897.The… … Wikipedia
Collingwood Football Club (VFL) — This article is about the Collingwood Football Club reserve team which participates in the Victorian Football League. For full information and history about the parent club and its AFL team, see Collingwood Football Club. Collingwood Names Full… … Wikipedia
1909 VFL Grand Final — The 1909 VFL Grand Final took place on October 2, 1909 (first ever October Grand Final) in front of 37,759 people at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.It was played between Victorian Football League (VFL) clubs Carlton and South Melbourne; South… … Wikipedia
2010 Melbourne Football Club season — Melbourne Football Club 2010 season Melbourne s guernsey for the 2010 season President Jim Stynes Coach … Wikipedia
2006 Collingwood Football Club season — Collingwood Football Club 2006 season Collingwood s guernsey for the 2006 season President Eddie McGuire Coach … Wikipedia
Australian Football League — Infobox sports league name=Australian Football League current season= logo=Australian Football League.png pixels=150px sport=Australian rules football founded=1897 ceo=Andrew Demetriou teams=16 country=AUS champion=Hawthorn Hawks most… … Wikipedia
Mick Grace — Personal information Birth 24 July 1874, Burnley, Victoria Height and weight ?cm, 78 kg Death 21 May 1912, Heidelberg Playing career¹ Team(s) Fitzroy (VFA) (1895–1896) ? game … Wikipedia
Carlton–Collingwood AFL rivalry — Collingwood Carlton AFL rivalry Dick Lee taking a mark for Collingwood against Carlton in Round 1, 1914. First contested 7 May 1892 Number of meetings 243 Most recent meeting 16 … Wikipedia
John Coleman (Australian footballer) — John Coleman Personal information Full name … Wikipedia