- Great North Radio
Infobox Radio Station
name = Great North Radio
area = North East England
frequency = 1152 & 1170
format = Oldies
Metro Radio Group
Great North Radio or G.N.R as it was sometimes called was formed in March 1989 using the AM frequencies of
Metro Radioand Radio Tees[http://northeastradio.co.uk/Great_%20North_%20Radio_The_Station%20.html] . This happened after the Metro Radio groupdecided to split the FM and AM frequencies up.
GNR's output consisted of "golden oldies" from the 1950s through to the 1980s, with specialist programmes on an evening.
Some of the programmes were:
* Friday Night Country Crowd with Brian Clough.
* The Folk Show with Jed Grimes.
* Memories with Peter Hetherington.
* In Classical Mood with Laurie Giles.
* The Sound Of Beautiful Music (orchestral and easy listening music) Saturday 7-10pm with Ray Anderson.
* Down At The Diner (Rock ‘N Roll) Saturdays at 1pm.
* Saviles Travels with Jimmy Savile.
* The Great North Gameshow Friday/Saturday 10pm with Dave Porter.
* Solid Gold Music Show with David Hamilton.
* Songs For a New Day (Inspirational and easy listening music) Sundays at 6am with Rev. Joe Poulter.
* The Album Chart Sunday 3pm with Steve Phillips.
* The Birthday Bunch Weekdays 10:30am with Bill Young.
* The Saturday Music Explosion Saturday 12pm with Phil Kennedy.
The station used slogans "50 Years of Hits", "Classic Songs, All-Time Hits" and "You've Got a Lifetime of Music" within its on air station idents. These
jinglewere produced by Alfasoundin Sale, Cheshire. The package was later re-sung for Great Yorkshire Radio, GNR's sister station.
The station now broadcasts as
Magic 1152and Magic 1170.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Great North Western Hotel — Coordinates: 53°24′30″N 2°58′44″W / 53.40827°N 2.97881°W / 53.40827; 2.97881 … Wikipedia
Radio Tees — Infobox Radio station caption=95 VHF Stereo and 257 metres (1170 kHz) medium wave ... The Sound of Home name=Radio Tees airdate= 24 June 1975 frequency=257 metres MW; 95 VHF area= North East England (Teesside, parts of County Durham and North… … Wikipedia
North Staffordshire Railway — Locale North Staffordshire United Kingdom Dates of operation 1845–1923 Successor London, Midland and Sco … Wikipedia
North Carolina Tar Heels football — Current season 97pxpx … Wikipedia
North Bay, Ontario — North Bay City Main Street Motto: Gateway of the North … Wikipedia
North East England — This article is about the region. For the European constituency, see North East England (European Parliament constituency). North East England North East region shown within England Geography Status Region Area … Wikipedia
Radio propagation beacon — A radio propagation beacon is a radio beacon, whose purpose is the investigation of the propagation of radio signals. Most radio propagation beacons use amateur radio frequencies. They can be found on HF, VHF, UHF, and microwave frequencies.… … Wikipedia
North Dakota State University — Motto For the land and its people. Established 1890 Type Public, Land Grant Endowment $75.8 milli … Wikipedia
North Sea Radio Orchestra — (generally abbreviated to NSRO) is an English contemporary music ensemble and cross disciplinary chamber orchestra (plus chorus). The NSRO was set up mainly as a vehicle for the compositions of its musical director, Craig Fortnam, but has also… … Wikipedia
North Dakota State Bison — University North Dakota State University Conference(s) The Summit League Missouri Valley Football Conference NCAA … Wikipedia