- Viva Laughlin
Viva Laughlin intertitle
Created by Peter Bowker
Written by Elizabeth Davis
Directed by Matt Earl Beesley
Starring Lloyd Owen
P. J. Byrne
Theme music composer Trevor Morris Composer(s) Patrick Milligan
John E. Nordstrom
Country of origin United States Language(s) English No. of seasons 1 No. of episodes 8 (6 unaired) Production Executive producer(s) Peter Bowker
Producer(s) Don Kurt Editor(s) Quincy Z. Gunderson
Cinematography Paul M. Sommers Running time 42 min Broadcast Original channel CBS Original run October 18, 2007– October 21, 2007
Viva Laughlin is an American musical–dramedy series adapted by Bob Lowry and Peter Bowker (creator of the original series) from the popular BBC British serial, Blackpool. They also served as executive producers alongside Hugh Jackman, John Palermo, Paul Telegdy and Gabriele Muccino. The latter also directed the pilot. It was filmed on location in part at the Morongo Casino Resort & Spa in Cabazon, California for most of the inside casino shots.
Produced by BBC Worldwide, CBS Paramount Network Television, Sony Pictures Television and Seed Productions, the series was greenlit and given a thirteen-episode order on May 14, 2007. Excerpts from the series were aired in subsequent previews throughout the CBS telecast of the 61st Annual Tony Awards on June 10, 2007. CBS aired a preview of the pilot on October 18, 2007 following an episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation before broadcasting its official season premiere on October 21, 2007 in its regular timeslot on Sunday nights at 8:00/7:00c, following 60 Minutes.
CBS cancelled Viva Laughlin on October 22, 2007 after airing two episodes, with the Nine Network (in Jackman's home country of Australia) following suit the next day by canceling the show after airing only one episode Both CBS and Nine filled the show's time slot with episodes of CSI, with The Amazing Race then taking Viva Laughlin's place on CBS on November 4.
Viva Laughlin is a mystery drama musical about businessman Ripley Holden, whose ambition is to run a casino in Laughlin, Nevada. It occasionally has the actors break into contemporary song. Ripley has invested all his money into opening a casino that is nowhere near completion, when his financing suddenly falls through. Needing an investor, Ripley approaches his rival, wealthy casino owner Nicky Fontana; but Fontana wants to own the casino himself, and Ripley turns down the deal. Ripley becomes embroiled in a murder investigation after the body of his ex-business partner is found at his casino.
- Lloyd Owen - Ripley Holden
- Mädchen Amick - Natalie Holden
- Ellen Woglom - Cheyenne Holden
- Carter Jenkins - Jack Holden
- Eric Winter - Peter Carlyle
- D.B. Woodside - Marcus Henckman
- Hugh Jackman - Nicky Fontana
- Melanie Griffith - Bunny Baxter
- P. J. Byrne - Jonesy
Critical reaction to the show was mostly negative. The musical numbers themselves were not criticized as much as the plot, the dialogue and the acting.
Newsday's review started with, "The stud is a dud. And that's only the first of a dozen problems with CBS' admirably ambitious but jaw-droppingly wrongheaded new musical/murder mystery/family drama Viva Laughlin. Let us count the ways it bombs..."
The following broadcasters purchased the series:
Country TV Network(s) Series Premiere Weekly Schedule Australia Nine Network 22 October 2007 Cancelled after first episode Canada E! October 2007 Cancelled after second episode; was seen Sundays at 7PM ET United Kingdom Virgin 1
Virgin 1: To be announced
United States CBS October 18, 2007 Cancelled after second episode
In pop culture
- A few days after the cancellation, a clip of Viva Laughlin was featured on The Soup. The show's host Joel McHale described it as "the show that was loved by hundreds". McHale also sarcastically remarked that "we need that" for easy jokes.
- Cop Rock - A poorly received 1990 ABC series which attempted to combine the genres of musical theater and police procedural
- Glee - A more successful television musical that debuted in 2009
- Hull High - A 1990 NBC "musical soap opera"
- Fame (1982 TV series) - Ran for 5 seasons, inspiration for Glee
- List of television series cancelled after one episode
- ^ a b "Viva Laughlin at The Futon Critic". http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch.aspx?id=viva_laughlin. Retrieved 2006-06-26.
- ^ Sullivan, Brian Ford (2007-05-14). "CBS picks up Bang, Power, plus four dramas". http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7387. Retrieved 2007-06-26.
- ^ "CBS to use The American Theatre Wing's 61st Annual Tony Awards" to showcase multiple promos for Viva Laughlin, a new drama premiering in the fall, executive produced by Tony Award and Emmy Award winner Hugh Jackman". The Futon Critic. 2007-06-07. http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20070607cbs01.
- ^ Andreeva, Nellie (2007-07-18). "CBS announces premiere week lineup". Archived from the original on 2007-08-20. http://web.archive.org/web/20070820093134/http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3ie5f8bddafc23b9d8cd631f69e4234572. Retrieved 2007-07-19.
- ^ "CBS announces 2007-2008 primetime schedule". The Futon Critic. 2007-05-16. http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20070516cbs02. Retrieved 2007-06-26.
- ^ a b "Hugh Jackman's show Viva Laughlin dumped by Channel Nine". The Daily Telegraph. 2007-10-23. http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22634823-5012990,00.html. Retrieved 2007-10-29. [dead link]
- ^ a b "Back from the dud". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2007-10-25. http://www.smh.com.au/news/tv--radio/we-took-a-gamble--furness/2007/10/24/1192941127545.html. Retrieved 2007-10-29.
- ^ Schneider, Michael (2007-10-22). "CBS cancels Viva Laughlin". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117974484.html?categoryid=14&cs=1. Retrieved 2007-10-22.
- ^ . http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22634823-5012990,00.html. [dead link]
- ^ Alessandro Stanley (2007-10-18). "Singing in the Casino? That's a Gamble". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/18/arts/television/18stan.html. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- ^ Diane Werts (2007-10-18). "Review: CBS' Viva Laughlin a train wreck". Newsday. Archived from the original on 2007-10-20. http://web.archive.org/web/20071020034800/http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/ny-ettell5415699oct18,0,5351094.story. Retrieved 2007-10-30.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Laughlin, Nevada — Infobox Settlement official name = Laughlin, Nevada settlement type = CDP imagesize = image caption = Laughlin at night, with the Colorado River in foreground mapsize = 250px map caption = Location of Laughlin in Clark County, Nevada mapsize1 =… … Wikipedia
List of television series canceled after one episode — While the cancellation of a television program after only one season, or even during it, is a common occurrence in the business of network television programming, the following is a list of programs of a rare yet similar occurrence. On these… … Wikipedia
Список американских телепрограмм по дате начала показа — Содержание 1 2010 е 1.1 2011 1.1.1 Январь 1.1.2 Февраль … Википедия
Список телесериалов по наименованию — Содержание 1 Русскоязычные 2 На других языках 3 0 9 4 Латиница … Википедия
Hugh Jackman — Infobox Actor name = Hugh Jackman imagesize = 220px caption = Jackman signing autographs in 2003. birthname = Hugh Michael Jackman birthdate = birth date and age|1968|10|12|df=yes birthplace = Sydney, New South Wales, Australia spouse = Deborra… … Wikipedia
Anna Kendrick — 2011 auf dem Tribeca Film Festival Anna Kendrick (* 9. August 1985 in Portland, Maine) ist eine US amerikanische Schauspielerin. Bekannt wurde sie durch die Rolle der Jessica Stanley in den Verfilmungen der … Deutsch Wikipedia
Джекман, Хью — В Википедии есть статьи о других людях с такой фамилией, см. Джекман. Хью Джекман Hugh Jackman … Википедия
2007–2008 United States network television schedule — The following article details the developing fall prime time schedules for the United States six major English language broadcast networks. Following are lists of what programs have been either renewed or cancelled by their networks, the new… … Wikipedia
Blackpool (TV serial) — Infobox British television show name = Blackpool caption = The UK DVD Cover format = Drama runtime = 60 mins each (360 mins total) creator = Peter Bowker starring = David Morrissey David Tennant Sarah Parish directors = Coky Giedroyc Julie Anne… … Wikipedia
Melanie Griffith — at Cannes in 2000 Born Melanie Richards Griffith August 9, 1957 (1957 08 09) (age 54) New York City, New York, U … Wikipedia