- UK National Inventory of War Memorials
The UK National Inventory of War Memorials (UKNIWM) was founded in
1989to build a comprehensive record of every war memorialin the United Kingdom(including England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Manand the Channel Islands).
Based at the
Imperial War Museumin London, the project has so far recorded around 60,000 war memorials. This work has largely been carried out by a nation-wide group of volunteer fieldworkers. Details of over 55,000 memorials are available on the online database. Further information is stored in a paper archive.
Details collected include: description, photographs, inscription, location, materials, craftsmen and architects, details of unveiling ceremonies, any repairs or alterations, references and further information about those commemorated.
War memorials are defined as any physical object erected to commemorate both those killed in, or as a result of war, and those who served and returned alive. This includes memorials to civilian casualties and animals. While most memorials commemorate the
First World Warand Second World War, all conflicts are covered, from the Roman Occupation of Britain to current day actions in Iraqand Afghanistan.
The UKNIWM is a registered charitable company and also works to promote the appreciation, use and preservation of war memorials.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
British War Memorial Project
* [http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/ UKNIWM home page and database portal]
* [http://ukniwm.wordpress.com/ UKNIWM blog - news and articles about UK war memorials]
* [http://www.hlf.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1C68EDFE-0469-42B1-91A2-33A3A83FFD0A/1026/MAINRELEASEwarmemorial.doc National Heritage Memorial Fund information sheet (Word doc)]
* [http://www.intute.ac.uk/artsandhumanities/cgi-bin/fullrecord.pl?handle=humbul8388 UKNIWM listing at Intute]
* [http://www.rcahmw.gov.uk/initiatives/war_memorials.shtml Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales: UKNIWM listing]
* [http://www.archaeology.co.uk/directory/viewsoc.asp?cat=2&soc=140 Archaeology Information Centre (UK): UKNIWM listing]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
War memorial — Contents 1 Symbolism 1.1 Historic usage 1.2 Modern usage 2 … Wikipedia
National Mall — U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
Commonwealth War Graves Commission — Logo of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Abbreviation CWGC Formation 21 May 1917 Legal status Commission … Wikipedia
Monument to the Women of World War II — United Kingdom National Monument to the Women of World War II in London … Wikipedia
Dover Marine War Memorial — The Dover Marine War Memorial Dover Marine War Memorial stands in the old Dover Marine Station in the Western Docks, Dover, England. The port has effectively been closed for several years; it is currently used as a berthing station for cruise… … Wikipedia
Jefferson National Expansion Memorial — (Gateway Arch) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Hamilton Grange National Memorial — Hamilton Grange National Memorial … Deutsch Wikipedia
Memorial to Japanese-American Patriotism in World War II — Artist Nina Akamu Year 2000 … Wikipedia
Liste der National Historic Landmarks in New York — Elihu Root House auf dem Campus des Hamilton College Diese Liste der National Historic Landmarks in New York umfasst alle zu einer National Historic Landmark erklärten Schutzgebiete im Bundesstaat New York und bestimmte andere von der… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Civil War Memorial (Sycamore, Illinois) — Civil War Memorial U.S. Historic district Contributing property … Wikipedia