- Latin American Britons
Infobox Ethnic group
group = Latin American Britons
poptime = Unknown
London, Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, Bristol, Edinburghand Milton Keynescite book|last=Kyambi|first=Sarah|title=Beyond Black and White: Mapping New Immigrant Communities|url=http://www.ippr.org/publicationsandreports/publication.asp?id=308|date=2005|location=London|publisher=Institute for Public Policy Research]
Roman Catholic(predominantly)· Protestant· Jewishminority
Hispanics· Spanish Britons·Italians·Portuguese·Greek Britons Italian British· Latino Australians
Latin American Britons are
British peoplewho were either born in Latin Americaor who have Latin American ancestors.
Significant migration from Latin America to the
United Kingdombegan in the 1970s, at a time of much political turmoil and civil unrest in Latin America. In recent times, Latin American culturehas become more prominent in British life, mainly through the growing popularity of Salsa music, with clubs and bars all over the UK catering to this form of dance.
The size of the Latin American British population is highly debatable. According to the
2001 UK Census, 76,412 UK residents were born in South Americaand 8,827 in 'Other North America',cite web|url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/born_abroad/countries/html/overview.stm|title=Born Abroad - Countries of birth|publisher=BBC News|accessdate=2008-04-12] which includes Central America(but also Greenland), [cite web|url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/born_abroad/countries/html/other_north_america.stm|title=Born Abroad - Other North America|publisher=BBC News|accessdate=2008-04-26] bringing the Latin American born population in 2001 to around 85,000. At the start of the millennium, there was likely to be at least double the above figure of Latin American descent. [Living in Latin London: How Latin American Migrants Survive in the city [http://www.geog.qmul.ac.uk/staff/pdf/mcilwaine2007.pdf] ] The numbers recorded in the 2001 census may have been underestimates of the true Latin American population. For example only 5,000 Colombians were recorded by the census, whilst it was thought that at least 90,000 Colombians were actually residing in the UK at the time. [cite news|url=http://www.migrationinformation.org/Profiles/display.cfm?ID=344|title=Colombia: In the crossfire|publisher=Migration Information Source|date=November 2005|accessdate=2008-04-27] In 1991, 10,000 Brazilians were living in the UK,Fact|date=April 2008 whereas recent estimates suggest that there may now be some 200,000cite web|url=http://www.untoldlondon.org.uk/news/ART40460.html|title=Crossing borders: Latin American exiles in London|author=Sofia Buchuck|publisher=untoldLondon|accessdate=2008-04-12] (with around 60,000 in London alone). [cite news|url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2005/05/27/brazilian_london_feature.shtml|title=Brazilian London|publisher=BBC London|date=2007-10-26|accessdate=2008-04-27] It is impossible to tell how people with Latin American ancestry are living in the UK, since the UK census does not collect ancestry data and there is no Latin American option in the ethnicity section of the census. There could be in excess of 1,000,000 Latin American Britons, although these statistics are described as " guesstimates" and rely largely on embassy estimates. It should be noted that there are also around 32,480 Hispanic American Britons.
For the purposes of this article, "Latin America" comprises the
Hispanic American countries and Brazil.
Notable Ecuadorian Britons
Ulises de la Cruz, Footballer
Lawrie Sanchez, Manager of Fulham F.C.
Antonio Valencia, Footballer
Notable Mexican Britons
Paloma Baeza, Actress
Ernesto Cantu, Actor & voice artist
Liliana Domínguez, model
Iliana Fox, Actress
Azela Robinson, Actress
A large number of Cubans have emigrated to the UK as an alternative to the US. The majority are refugees from the Castro regime in the 1960s and 1970s.Many have settled in London and have come together through the enjoyment of Salsa. The 2001 Census recorded 1,083 Cuban-born people. Cuban British population consists of Spanish and
Notable Cuban Britons
Sienna Guillory, Actress
Dane Bowers, Singer
* Lourdes Maria Ciccone Leon, daughter of Madonna and
The rest of the Latin American Briton community is made of
Central Americans and Paraguayans.
Other Notable Latin American Britons
Carlos Lopez-Barillas, Guatemalan photographer
Jade Jagger, Nicaraguan model
Jeremias, Venezuelan singer-songwriter
Culture and influence
The early 1980s saw the
Latin American(or "Ibero-American") and Spanish communities coming together, getting organised and setting up cultural and social organisations. Examples are the Latin American House (since 1980), the Latin American Writers Group (since 1983) and the Latin American Research and Studies Centre, founded in 1987. Recently, this centre has been revived under the name of Latin American Foundation UK.
Nowadays, the Latin experience, Latin style, Latin restaurants, culture, the Lifestyle, salsa music & dance, live gigs, salsa weekenders, salsa clubs & classes, have impacted on the British way of life. In
Lambeththe Latin American community has grown massivley within the last five years or so with Spanish being one of the main languages spoken in the borough. There are various festivals celebrating Latin American culture, with the two biggest (in Europe not just the UK) being the Carnival de Cubaand the Carnaval Del Pueblo, both held in London every July and August respectively.
According to a 2005 report by the
Institute for Public Policy Research, based on data from the 2001 Census, the ten census tracts with the largest South American-born populations are all in London. Hyde Park had the highest number of South Americans, followed by VauxhallNorth, Kensington, Chelsea, Vauxhall South, Regent's Park, StreathamNorth, Hammersmith, Streatham South and HackneySouth. [cite web|url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/born_abroad/countries/html/south_america.stm|title=Born Abroad - South America|publisher=BBC News|accessdate=2008-04-12] Outside of London, the largest South American populations were to be found in Oxford, Cambridge, central Manchester, central Bristol, central Edinburghand Milton Keynes.
Hispanic American British
British Latin American
Welsh settlement in Argentina
* [http://www.uklatino.co.uk/ UK Latino]
* [http://www.carnavaldelpueblo.co.uk/ Carnaval Del Pueblo, Europe's biggest festival of Latin American Culture]
* [http://www.carnival-de-cuba.com Carnival de Cuba]
* [http://www.latinamericanfilmfestival.com/ London Latin American Film Festival]
* [http://www.latinamericabureau.org/?lid=3320 Latin American Bureau - NOTICIAS LATIN AMERICA (NLA the longest established Latin American Spanish language newspaper in London, U.K. since August 1992]
* [http://www.visitlondon.com/maps/multicultural_london/latin_american/index Visit London - Latin American section]
* [http://www.lcuk.net/ Latin Connection UK]
* [http://latino.meetup.com/34/?gj=sj5 The London Latino/a Community Meetup]
* [http://salsa.meetup.com/173/?gj=sj17 Salsa Meetup]
* [http://www.uklatinos.com/ UK Latin American forum]
* [http://www.exilio.co.uk/exilio_video_gallery_index.htm London Salsathon]
* [http://cubanculture.meetup.com/cities/gb/london/ Cuban social forum]
* [http://www.sadlerswells.com/whats_on/2005_2006/carnival.asp Brazilian Carnival, London]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2005/05/26/hispanic_london_feature.shtml BBC Hispanic London]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/specials/177_food/page6.shtml Latin American Food in London]
* [http://www.latinosderichmond.org/ Latinos de Richmond - a Latin Association in Richmond and Twickenham]
* [http://www.latinalternativa.co.uk LatinAlternativa - a website promoting Latin artists in the UK]
* [http://www.canninghouse.com/content/ Canning House, home of the Hispanic & Luso Brazilian Council, a non-political, non-profit organisation founded in 1943 to strengthen the links between Britain and Latin America]
* [http://americas.sas.ac.uk/postgraduate_study/structure.htm#la Institute for the Study of the Americas (University of London)]
* [http://www.untoldlondon.org.uk/news/ART40466.html History of Latin Americans in the UK]
* [http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/Collections/OnlineResources/RWWC/Themes/1272/ Reassessing what we collect website – Central and South American London (History of Central and South American London with objects and images)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Latin American migration to the United Kingdom — For Latin Americans of British descent, see British Latin American. Latin American migration to the United Kingdom … Wikipedia
American cuisine — For other uses, see American cuisine (disambiguation). See also: Global cuisines … Wikipedia
Luso-Britons — ( pt. Luso Británico) are British people born to or migrated from Portuguese speaking areas.Luso Britons are composed of Portuguese Britons who have ethnicity directly from Portugal, Brazilian Britons, and people with racial background from other … Wikipedia
List of Spanish Britons — This is a list of notable Spanish Britons, ordered by surname ( es. Apellido) within section.ListArtists*Philip Hermogenes Calderon (Spanish father) PainterEntertainers Actors * Fiona Allen (Spanish mother) Comedian and Actress * Helena Bonham… … Wikipedia
Brazilian British — Infobox Ethnic group group = Brazilian British britânico brasileiro flagicon|UK flagicon|Brazil caption = Notable Brazilian British: Taio Cruz, Phil Lynott, Juliano Belletti poptime = 15,215 (2001) [http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/18/23/34792376.xls … Wikipedia
Ethnic groups in Europe — See Demography of Europe for population statistics. The ethnic groups in Europe are the various ethnic groups that reside in the nations of Europe. European ethnology is the field of anthropology focusing on Europe. Pan and Pfeil (2004) count 87… … Wikipedia
White Other (United Kingdom Census) — Infobox Ethnic group group = White Other () caption = Clockwise from top left: Rachel Weisz• David Miliband• Sienna Miller Frankie Dettori• Amy Winehouse• George I George Michael population = Between 4,440,000 and 5,760,000 according to estimates … Wikipedia
Colombian British — Infobox Ethnic group group = Colombian British Ingleses colombianos caption = Notable Colombian Britons: Sonia Uribe, Jorge Castano poptime = Colombian born (2001 Census): 12,331 [http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/18/23/34792376.xls Place of birth… … Wikipedia
Colombians in the United Kingdom — Colombians in the United Kingdom … Wikipedia
Hispanic and Latino Americans — Infobox ethnic group group = Hispanic and Latino Americans estadounidenses hispanos y latinos poptime = Hispanic and Latino Americans 45,427,437cite web |url=http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/DTTable? bm=y ds name=ACS 2007 1YR G00 CONTEXT=dt… … Wikipedia