- Chronicles of Mann
Chronicles of the Kings of Mann and the Isles
Facsimile of the first page of the Chronicles.
Created ca. 1262 Location British Library in London
The main part of the manuscript is believed to have been composed and written in 1261 or 1262 at Rushen Abbey on the island, shortly after the time of the Cistercian abbey's dedication in 1257, which is the final event retold by the original scribe. The manuscript is illustrated ink on vellum, with pages roughly 15 cm (6 in) by 20 cm (8 in).
The Chronicles are a look back, year-by-year from 1016, over the significant events in Manx history of that tune. Written in Latin, it records the island's role as the centre of the Norse Kingdom of Mann and the Isles, and the influence of its kings and religious leaders, as well as the role of Rushen Abbey itself – which was founded at the invitation of Olaf, one of the Norse kings. The original scribe also included a list of popes which ends with Pope Urban IV (1261–4). It is probable that the Chronicles were written for the new abbey on its foundation.
Entries for the earlier years are notably shorter than those towards the end of the original section of the manuscript, no doubt due to later events having occurred within living memory of the time of writing, and thus more detail being available. Many of the dates of the earlier annals are put around fifteen years earlier than the actual event, and none of these entries before 1047 are directly related to the Isle of Man, having been copied from the Chronicle of Melrose.
Several further notes were later added by the abbey's Cistercian monks, taking the Chronicles up to 1316. After the abbey was dissolved in 1540 the manuscript is thought to have passed through a number of private hands until becoming the property of Sir Robert Cotton, whose collection of medieval works was one of the founding collections of the British Museum and are now cared for by the British Library in London.
There have been campaigns to move the Chronicles permanently to the Isle of Man.
Outline of contents
- 1016–1030: King Canute's marriage to Emma, the birth of their son Harthacanute, and Canute's journeys to Denmark and Norway.
- 1031–1066: Foundation of Bury St. Edmunds Abbey, and the death of Canute. Death of King Edward the Confessor.
- 1066–1079: Battle of Stamford Bridge, William the Conqueror's victory at the Battle of Hastings. Conquest of the Isle of Man by Godred Crovan.
- 1079–1098: Foundation of the Cistercian order at Cîteaux in France.
- 1102–1152: Commencement of reign of King Olaf. Foundations of Savigny Abbey, Furness Abbey, Rievaulx Abbey, Calder Abbey, Melrose Abbey, and Holme Cultram Abbey. Grant of land at Rushen to Furness Abbey by King Olaf.
- 1165–1187: Murder of Thomas Becket at Canterbury Cathedral. Capture of Jerusalem by Saladin. Visit by a papal legate to the Isle of Man. Marriage of King Godred, conducted by the Abbot of Rievaulx.
- 1228–1237: Death of King Olaf on St Patrick's Isle, and burial at Rushen Abbey.
- 1250–1256: Start of reign of King Magnus
- 1256–1274: Completion of the Abbey Church of St Mary's at Rushen, and dedication by Richard, Bishop of Sodor and Man.
- List of Bishops: A list of the Bishops of the Diocese of Sodor and Man until Simon Orcadensis, who had died in 1248. The bishop at the time of the writing of the manuscript, Richard, was not included.
- ^ Oliver, John Robert, ed. (1860), "Facsimile of the first page of the Chronicles", Monumenta De Insula Manniae, I, Douglas: The Manx Society, http://books.google.com/books?id=t4YNAAAAYAAJ&pg=PR4
- ^ a b The Years 1016–1030 In The Years In The Chronicles Of The Kings Of Man And The Isles ('The Manx Chronicle') – British Library
- ^ Chronicles of Mann return …… – Isle of Man Government
Editions and translations
- Broderick, G. (ed. and tr.). The Chronicles of the Kings of Mann and the Isles. 2nd ed. Douglas, 1995.
- Munch, P.A. (ed.) and Rev. Goss (tr.). Chronica regnum Manniae et insularum. The Chronicle of Man and the Sudreys. 2 vols. Manx Society 22-3. Douglas, 1874. Available in html
- British Library, online copies of original illustrated manuscript
- Text of the Chronicle of Mann – Manx Society; Latin with English translation
Scandinavian Scotland Rulers Notable womenAud the Deep-Minded · Bethóc, Prioress of Iona · Cacht ingen Ragnaill · Gormflaith ingen Murchada · Gunnhild Gormsdóttir · Ingibjörg Hákonardóttir · Ingibjörg the Earls'-Mother · Isabel Bruce · Máel Muire ingen Amlaíb · Margaret, Maid of Norway · Margaret, Queen of Norway · Margaret of Denmark, Queen of Scotland · Ragnhild Eriksdotter · Other notable men History Archaeology Artifacts and culture Althings Language Etymology Battles and treaties Associated clans and septs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
King of Mann and the Isles — The King of Mann and the Isles ruled over the Orkneys, Shetland, Hebrides and the Isle of Man, known collectively as the Kingdom of Mann and the Isles.Kings of Mann and the IslesIndependent kingdom (before 870)*Tutgual (c.467) *Dingat *Senyllt ap … Wikipedia
Valkyria Chronicles — Entwickler … Deutsch Wikipedia
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles — Seriendaten Deutscher Titel Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Sarah Connor Chronicles — Seriendaten Deutscher Titel: Terminator: S.C.C. Originaltitel: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Produktionsland: USA … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kiss Chronicles: 3 Classic Albums — Значимость предмета статьи поставлена под сомнение. Пожалуйста, покажите в статье значимость её предмета, добавив в неё доказательства значимости по частным критериям значимости или, в случае если частные критерии значимости для… … Википедия
Kiss Chronicles: 3 Classic Albums — Caja recopilatoria de Kiss Publicación 21 de Junio, 2005 Género(s) Hard rock Discográfica Mercury Records/Universal Records … Wikipedia Español
The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury — Se ha sugerido que este artículo o sección sea fusionado con [[Dark Fury]] (discusión). Una vez que hayas realizado la fusión de artículos, pide la fusión de historiales aquí. The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury … Wikipedia Español
Tomb Raider Chronicles — Tomb Raider – Die Chronik Entwickler: Core Design Verleger: Eidos Interactive Publikation: November 2000 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Spiderwick Chronicles — Die Spiderwick Geheimnisse ist eine achtteilige Fantasyreihe für Kinder ab 8 Jahren, die von der amerikanischen Autorin Holly Black geschrieben und von Tony DiTerlizzi illustriert wurde. Hauptfiguren sind die Geschwister Jared, Simon und Mallory … Deutsch Wikipedia
AMELANDER (also Amlander), MENAHEM MANN BEN SOLOMON HA-LEVI — (1698–1767?), Hebrew grammarian, publisher, translator, and historian. He was born in Amsterdam, went to a yeshivah in Prague, and was a student of moses frankfurter , a dayyan and publisher in Amsterdam, whose Mikra ot Gedolot edition of the… … Encyclopedia of Judaism