- Storm Lake, Iowa
Storm Lake, Iowa — City — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Iowa County Buena Vista Incorporated February 28, 1873  Area - Total 4.0 sq mi (10.4 km2) - Land 4.0 sq mi (10.4 km2) - Water 0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2) Elevation 1,421 ft (433 m) Population (2010) - Total 10,600 - Density 2,650/sq mi (1,023.2/km2) Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6) - Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) ZIP code 50588 Area code(s) 712 FIPS code 19-75630 GNIS feature ID 0462017
Storm Lake is a city in Buena Vista County, Iowa, United States. The population was 10,600 in the 2010 census, an increase from 10,076 in the 2000 census.  It is the county seat of Buena Vista County. Storm Lake is home to Buena Vista University, originally Buena Vista College. Tyson Foods operates a large hog slaughterhouse and meat packing plant here, and Sara Lee has a turkey processing plant. The financial company MetaBank is based in Storm Lake.
Storm Lake is located in the northwestern part of the state, near its namesake Storm Lake. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.0 square miles (10 km2), all of it land.
Year Pop. ±% 1880 1,034 — 1890 1,682 +62.7% 1900 2,169 +29.0% 1910 2,428 +11.9% 1920 3,658 +50.7% 1930 4,157 +13.6% 1940 5,274 +26.9% 1950 6,954 +31.9% 1960 7,728 +11.1% 1970 8,591 +11.2% 1980 8,814 +2.6% 1990 8,769 −0.5% 2000 10,076 +14.9% 2010 10,600 +5.2% Iowa Data Center 
The 2010 census recorded a population of 10,600 in the city, with a population density of 2,650/sq mi (1,023/km2). There were 3,791 housing units, of which 3,536 were occupied. 
The racial makeup of the city in the 2010 census was 68.4% White American, 6.5% African American, 0.4% Native Americans in the United States, 9.8% Asian American, 0.9% Native Hawaiians or Pacific Islander American, 13.6% other races and 1.2% were from two or more races. Of those 36.1% were Hispanic and Latino Americans. 
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,076 people, 3,466 households, and 2,207 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,521.2 people per square mile (972.6/km²). There were 3,706 housing units at an average density of 927.3 per square mile (357.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 79.68% White, 0.53% African American, 0.17% Native American, 7.82% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 9.55% from other races, and 2.23% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 21.05% of the population.
There were 3,466 households out of which 32.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.6% were married couples living together, 8.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.3% were non-families. 29.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.1% under the age of 18, 18.0% from 18 to 24, 24.9% from 25 to 44, 17.1% from 45 to 64, and 15.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 98.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $35,270, and the median income for a family was $42,236. Males had a median income of $27,321 versus $20,869 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,150. About 8.0% of families and 11.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.1% of those under age 18 and 7.9% of those age 65 or over.
Storm Lake has one main school district which is composed of 1 high school, 1 middle school (grades 5-8), and 1 elementary school (grades K-4), and an early childhood center. The new elementary school opened in 2009 and replaced four separate elementary buildings. There is also a private K-12 school district system run by St. Mary's Catholic Church.
The school district has an increasingly diverse community. As of the 2008-2009 school year the Storm Lake Community School District served 2028 students with four elementary schools (PK-4), one middle school (5-8), and one high school (9-12). Since 1994-95, the school has experienced an increase in enrollment and the racial makeup of the district has changed from 82% white to 31% white and the number of ELL students has increased from 319 to 1110. Approximately 67% of the district’s students receive free or reduced lunch and 12% receive special education services. In the school district, over 50% of students are hispanic, and over 10% are Asian. Most students are coming from California and rural areas of Mexico because of new job opportunities. And because 40% of the district's students are migrant, the schools struggle to match needs set by the No Child Left Behind Act. However, the school district is known throughout the state for its excellence in fine arts. In 2003, the Iowa Music Educators Association (IMEA) awarded Storm Lake the Exemplary Music Program of the year. In 2006, Buena Vista University created a documentary about the Storm Lake music program and its accomplishments called "Notes: A Noteworthy Story of Music." Storm Lake schools also excel in art, speech, and the National History Day competition.
The Storm Lake Police Department (SLPD) provides law enforcement services to the city of Storm Lake, Iowa. The department currently consists of 19 sworn officers, 2 community services officer, and 2 park rangers. The department responded to 51,148 calls of service in 2009. The current Chief is Mark Prosser.
The department is headquartered at 401 E. Milwaukee Ave., Storm Lake, IA 50588.
The SLPD patrol division has 13 officers. Each patrol is supervised by a lieutenant. These officers patrol in a patrol vehicle, on bike, or on foot. There is currently one K9 officer who assists the department as well as partner agencies with narcotics detection, suspect apprehension, evidence and subject searches, building searches, and crowd control.
The department also has a investigative division, administrative division, narcotics unit, and a SWAT team.
The police department also has a park ranger program. These rangers patrol the parks around the lake in the city. They serve as the eyes and ears of the department in these areas and report any crimes. They also provide backup to police officers in the area.
The department was also honored by the VERA Institute for best practices in a multilingual community.
Storm Lake Police Department
Storm Lake is served by Buena Vista Regional Medical Center, a 54-bed critical access hospital.
Storm Lake was mentioned in an episode during the second season of M*A*S*H, in which Radar sold shoes from the Style Right Shoe Company. The fictional company was based in Storm Lake.
- Joe Decker (1947–2003) Major League Baseball player 
- Janet Dailey, Romance novelist
- George B. French, actor
- Edmund B. Gregory, Lieutenant General in the United States Army
- Gene Hackman, Actor resided in 1945. Reference Storm Lake "Breeze" yearbook 1945 10th grade
- Winton Hoch, cinematographer
- Marjorie Holmes (1910–2002) author of hundreds of magazine articles and several novels most notable Two From Galilee 
- ^ "National Football League". Mike Stensrud. http://www.nfl.com/players/mikestensrud/profile?id=STE330330. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ a b c "Population & Housing Occupancy Status 2010". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST13&prodType=table. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- ^ a b "Data from the 2010 Census". State Data Center of Iowa. http://www.iowadatacenter.org/archive/2011/02/feb10. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ U.S. Census Bureau. Census 2000, Summary File 1. GCT-PH1. Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2000 by county subdivision and place, "Buena Vista County". American FactFinder. <http://factfinder.census.gov>. http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTable?_bm=y&-ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&-mt_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U_GCTPH1_CO1&-tree_id=4001&-geo_id=05000US19021&-format=CO-2&-_lang=en GCT-PH1. Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2000 by county subdivision and place,. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Race and Hispanic or Latino Origin in Iowa's Incorporated Places: 2010". State Data Center of Iowa. http://www.iowadatacenter.org/archive/2011/02/cityrace.pdf. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Storm Lake Comprehensive School Improvement Plan". p 1. Division of PK-12 Education. http://www.storm-lake.k12.ia.us/SLCSD/Central_Office/2010CSIP.pdf. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ "Student-Produced Documentary Wins at Festival". http://www.bvu.edu/about/news/detail.dot?id=1003.
- ^ "Joe Decker". BASEBALL-Reference. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/deckejo01.shtml. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
- ^ Longden, Tom (December 25, 2004). "Holmes, Marjorie". The Des Moines Register. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/99999999/FAMOUSIOWANS/41225014/Holmes-Marjorie. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- Storm Lake Portal style website City government, Chamber of Commerce, Business and more
- School district website
- Storm Lake Times
- Storm Lake Fishing
- City Data Comprehensive Statistical Data and more about Storm Lake, Iowa
Municipalities and communities of Buena Vista County, IowaCounty seat: Storm Lake Cities Townships
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Storm Lake (Iowa) — Storm Lake Ciudad de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
St. Mary's High School (Storm Lake, Iowa) — St. Mary;s High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school in Storm Lake, Iowa. It is located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Sioux City.BackgroundExternal links* [http://www.stmarys storm.pvt.k12.ia.us/ School Website] Notes and references … Wikipedia
Storm Lake — may refer to:Places*Storm Lake, IowaLakes*Storm Lake (Colorado), a lake in Boulder County, Colorado *Little Storm Lake (Colorado), a lake in Boulder County, Colorado *Storm Lake (Idaho), a lake in Idaho County, Idaho *Storm Peak Lake, a lake in… … Wikipedia
Storm Lake — 42° 38′ 37″ N 95° 12′ 07″ W / 42.643611, 95.201944 … Wikipédia en Français
Storm Lake — Storm Lake, IA U.S. city in Iowa Population (2000): 10076 Housing Units (2000): 3706 Land area (2000): 3.996567 sq. miles (10.351060 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 3.996567 sq. miles (10.351060… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Storm Lake, IA — U.S. city in Iowa Population (2000): 10076 Housing Units (2000): 3706 Land area (2000): 3.996567 sq. miles (10.351060 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 3.996567 sq. miles (10.351060 sq. km) FIPS… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Spirit Lake (Iowa) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Spirit Lake (homonymie). 43° 25′ 23″ N 95° 06′ 15″ W … Wikipédia en Français
Iowa District West (LCMS) — The Iowa District West is one of the 35 districts of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), and covers the western half of the state of Iowa including the state capital, Des Moines; the rest of the state forms the Iowa District East. The Iowa … Wikipedia
Iowa — • One of the North Central States of the American Union, and is about midway between the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Iowa Iowa … Catholic encyclopedia
Iowa City, Iowa — Iowa City Pour les articles homonymes, voir Iowa (homonymie). Iowa City … Wikipédia en Français