- Mareen Duvall
He was born Marin duVal, at Nantes, France in 1625 and arrived in the Province of Maryland on August 28, 1650. He received a patent from the first proprietors of the Maryland Colony, the Calvert family on that day for La Val, named after his family's estate in the County of Laval situated between County of Maine, Duchy of Brittany, Duchy of Normandy and Duchy of Anjou in France, on the south side the South River in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
He died in 1699 and his third and final wife, Mary Stanton, administered his substantial estate. Duvall had purchased sizeable tracts of land, including Catton, later known as Belair as well as owning Middle Plantation in Davidsonville, Maryland. Combined, he owned several thousand acres in Anne Arundel and Prince George's Counties.
In 1705, his son, John Duvall and his wife Mary deeded land to Queen Anne Parish to construct St. Barnabas Church. Mareen Duvall's widow, Mary went on to marry Henry Ridgely and later after his death, Reverend Jacob Henderson.
Notable descendants include U.S. Presidents Harry S. Truman and Barack Obama, and former American Vice-President Dick Cheney, Bessie Wallis Warfield Simpson (for whom Edward VIII gave up the throne), U.S. Associate Supreme Court Justice Gabriel Duvall, billionaire Warren Buffett, Confederate spy Betty Duvall, Nathan Duvall and actor Robert Duvall.
- ^ Baltz, Shirley Vlasak (1984). A Chronicle of Belair. Bowie, Maryland: Bowie Heritage Committee. pp. page 5. LCCN 85165028.
- ^ a b c d Williams, T. J. C.; Folger McKinsey (1910,1979). History of Frederick County, Maryland, Vol 2. L.R. Titsworth & Co./Clearfield Co. pp. page 948. ISBN 0806380128. http://books.google.com/books?id=a-M8wQ27_NsC&pg=RA1-PA948&dq=%22Mareen+Duvall%22+Mary+Stanton&as_brr=3&ie=ISO-8859-1&sig=3wm1OuhXkpuyU-W9yPxP2u_qICU.
- ^ Richardson, Hester Dorsey (1903). Side-lights on Maryland History: With Sketches of Early Maryland Families. Baltimore, Maryland: Williams and Wilkins Company. pp. 96. ISBN 0806302968. http://books.google.com/books?id=l_oMAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA191&dq=Anne+Tasker+Samuel+Ogle#PPA96,M1. [unreliable source?]
- ^ Warfield, Joshua Dorsey (July 1905). The Founders of Anne Arundel And Howard Counties, Maryland. Baltimore, Maryland: Kohn & Pollock. pp. 106. ISBN 0806379715. http://books.google.com/books?id=vgINAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA78&dq=%22Mareen+Duvall%22+Mary+Stanton&as_brr=1&ie=ISO-8859-1#PPA106,M1.
- ^ a b Baltz, Shirley Vlasak (1984). A Chronicle of Belair. Bowie, Maryland: Bowie Heritage Committee. pp. pages 1–8. LCCN 85165028.
- ^ "First Generation". A Partial Listing of Descendants of Mareen Duvall "the Emigrant". http://www.rootsweb.com/~mdannear/firstfam/duvall/d18610.htm. [unreliable source?]
- ^ Hasani Gittens (October 17, 2007). "Dissing cousins: Obama. Cheney, Bush related". New York Post. http://www.nypost.com/seven/10172007/news/regionalnews/dissing_cousins__obama__cheney.htm. Mentions Chicago Sun-Times article from early September as the source.
- ^ "Obama and Cheney, Making Connections". The Washington Post: p. A06. October 17, 2007. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/16/AR2007101602362.html.
- ^ a b "Notable Descendants of Mareen Duvall". http://www.duvallsociety.org/notables.html. [unreliable source?]
- William P. Doepkins, Excavations at Mareen Duvall's Middle Plantation of South River Hundred (Baltimore: Gateway Press, 1991)
- Mareen Duvall (c1630-1694) on Familypedia
- Duvall Society
- A Partial Listing of Descendants of Mareen Duvall "the Emigrant"
- Elizabeth Duvall, Dau of Mareen Duvall the younger, granddaughter of Mareen Duvall, the Emigrant, married William Alexander Denune
- The item in french of the newspaper "Presse Ocean" of Nantes (France): birthplace of Marin Duval
- Mareen Duvall's Genealogy Page
- Family Group Sheet for Mareen DUVALL
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mareen Duvall — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Duval. Marin Duval ou encore Mareen Duvall (1625, Nantes? ou Laval? 5 août 1694, Mid Plantation, Anne Arundel, Maryland) était un protestant français et un des premiers émigrés américai … Wikipédia en Français
Duvall (surname) — Duvall (also DuVall) is a surname, and may refer to: Betty Duvall Carol Duvall Clea DuVall Gabriel Duvall, American jurist in the 18th and 19th centuries Lacey Duvall(e), African American porn actress Len Duvall Marcus Duvall Mareen Duvall Mike… … Wikipedia
Duvall, Gabriel — ▪ United States jurist born Dec. 6, 1752, Marietta, near Buena Vista, Md. [U.S.] died March 6, 1844, Prince George s county, Md., U.S. associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States (1811–35). Duvall, the great grandson… … Universalium
Marin Duval — Mareen Duvall Pour les articles homonymes, voir Duval. Marin Duval ou encore Mareen Duvall (1625, Nantes? ou Laval? 5 août 1694, Mid Plantation, Anne Arundel, Maryland) était un protestant français et un des … Wikipédia en Français
Jacob Henderson — was an Irish clergyman and philologist that emigrated to the colonial Provinces of Pennsylvania, then Maryland where he became a prominent land owner and church leader.Life before MarylandVery little is known about Henderson before 1710. On June… … Wikipedia
Dick Cheney — 46th Vice President of the United States … Wikipedia
Madelyn and Stanley Dunham — Infobox Person name = Madelyn and Stanley Dunham image size = caption = Stanley Dunham birth name=Madelyn Lee Payne Stanley Armour Dunham occupation = parents = Rolla Charles Payne and Leona McCurry [… … Wikipedia
Family of Barack Obama — Index: A · B · C · D · E · F · G … Wikipedia
Colonial families of Maryland — The Colonial families of Maryland were the leading families in the Province of Maryland. Several also had interests in the Colony of Virginia, and the two are sometimes referred to as the Chesapeake Colonies. Many of the early settlers came from… … Wikipedia
Belair Mansion — Infobox nrhp name = Belair Mansion nrhp type = imagesize=260px caption = Front of Belair Mansion, August 2007 lat degrees = 38 built = c. 1745 lat minutes = 57 lat seconds = 57 lat direction = N long degrees = 76 long minutes = 44 long seconds =… … Wikipedia