- John Harris (curator)
John Frederick Harris
OBE(1931- ) is an English curator, historian of architecture, gardens and architectural drawings, and the author of more than 25 books and catalogues, and 200 articles. He is a Fellow and Curator Emeritus of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects, founding Trustee of SAVE Britain's Heritageand SAVE Europe's Heritage, and founding member and Honorary Life President of the International Confederation of Architectural Museums.
John Harris left school at the age of 14 in 1946. He travelled and took on miscellaneous jobs, before starting his proper career in 1954 working in an antiques shop, Collin and Winslow [ [http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=429&storycode=3093725 Building Design Online, Moving Stories article by John Harris on 24 August 2007] retrieved 31 October 2007] . In 1956 he joined the
Royal Institute of British Architects(RIBA) Library and Drawings Collection in London, becoming curator of its British Architectural Library's [http://www.architecture.com/LibraryDrawingsAndPhotographs/DrawingsAndArchives/Drawings.aspx Drawings Collection] from 1960-86 [ [http://www.gardenvisit.com/b/harris.htm Garden Visit and Travel Guide] retrieved 31 October 2007] . This included the establishment in 1972 of a permanent home for the Drawings Collection in the James Adam designed house at 21 Portman Square (moved to the V&AHenry Cole Wing in 2002), next door to and sharing with the Courtauld Instituteat Home House, 20 Portman Square (moved to Somerset Housein 1989). Harris founded and organised 42 exhibitions at the Heinz Gallery, on the ground floor of 21 Portman Square, opened in 1972, designed by Stefan Buzas and Alan Irvine, given by Mr and Mrs Henry J Heinz II [ [http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/diad/article.php?year=1972&title=283&article=d.283.29 Design 1972 Journal article "Architecture in embryo"] retrieved 12 November 2007] , being the first purpose built gallery for the display ofarchitectural drawings in the English speaking world [ [http://www.iarc.ie/annual_reports/iaa_annual_report_2000.pdf Irish Architectural Archive, Annual Report 2000, page 16] retrieved 12 November 2007] . The Gallery was purchased in 2000 by the Irish Architectural Archiveand moved in 2003-4 to the ground floor of their relocated premises at 45 Merrion Square, Dublin, which opened to the public in 2005 [ [http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=429&storycode=3093725 Building Design Online, Moving Stories article by John Harris on 24 August 2007] retrieved 31 October 2007] . RIBA's Drawings Collection Gallery was re-established in 2004 as part of the joint V&Aand RIBA[http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/architecture/va_riba/index.html Architecture Partnership] , creating the [http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/architecture/galleries/128/index.html Architecture Gallery] in Room 128 at the V&A.
Harris was a co-curator of the seminal exhibition [http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/26533-popup.html The Destruction of the Country House] held at the
V&Ain 1974, with Sir Roy Strongand Marcus Binney, which gave impetus to the movement to conserve British country houses [Wikipedia on Marcus Binney retrieved 31 October 2007] and the founding in 1975 of SAVE Britain's Heritage. He was editor of "Studies in Architecture" 1976-99. In 1996 he was a visiting scholar at the Getty Research Center, Getty Villa, Santa Monica [ [http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780300069402 Yale University Press, 1996 publication] retrieved 31 October 2007] . Harris also played a crucial role in the establishment of the Canadian Centre for Architecturein Montreal and the Heinz Architecture Centre in the Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh [ [http://www.savebritainsheritage.org/english/english.htm Trustees of SAVE Europe's Heritage] retrieved 31 October 2007] . He was a member for ten years of Mr Paul Mellon’s London Acquisitions Committee. Harris worked on the Victoria and Albert Primary Galleries Project (1996-2001). He is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London.
Harris is married to American historian and author Dr
Eileen Harris(from circa 1961), has a son, Lucian, and a daughter, Georgina, and lives in London and Badminton, Gloucestershire.
Books - Author (in reverse chronology)
* [http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780300124200 Moving Rooms: The Trade in Architectural Salvages] (2007) Yale University Press, ISBN-10: 0300124201, ISBN-13: 978-0300124200.
*Badminton: The Duke of Beaufort, His House (2007).
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0719564832 Echoing Voices: More Memories of a Country House Snooper] (2002) John Murray, ISBN-10: 0719564832, ISBN-13: 978-0719564833. [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0753199084 Large print edition] (2003) Ulverscroft, ISBN-10: 0753199084, ISBN-13: 978-0753199084. [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0719564921 Paperback edition] (2003) John Murray, ISBN-10: 0719564921, ISBN-13: 978-0719564925. [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0753199092 Paperback large print edition] (2004) Ulverscroft, ISBN-10: 0753199092, ISBN-13: 978-0753199091.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0719555671 No Voice from the Hall: Early Memories of a Country House Snooper] (1998) John Murray, ISBN-10: 0719555671, ISBN-13: 978-0719555671. [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0753154528 Large print edition] (1998) ISIS Large Print Books, ISBN-10: 0753154528, ISBN-13: 978-0753154526. [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0719561493 Paperback edition] (2000) John Murray, ISBN-10: 0719561493, ISBN-13: 978-0719561498.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1851771824 Sir William Chambers: Catalogues of Architectural Drawings in the Victoria and Albert Museum] (1997) with Stephen Astley, Janine Barrier, and Gertrud Siedmann, edited by Michael Snodin, V&A Publications, ISBN-10: 1851771824, ISBN-13: 978-1851771820.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0302006087 Inigo Jones: Complete Architectural Drawings] (1989) Studies in Architecture, Zwemmer, ISBN-10: 0302006087, ISBN-13: 978-0302006085.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0910503206 Architectural Drawings in the Collection of the Cooper-Hewitt Museum] (1987) with Nancy Aakre and Lisa Taylor,
Cooper-Hewitt Museum, ISBN-10: 0910503206, ISBN-13: 978-0910503204.
* Carlo Fontana: The Drawings at Windsor Castle (1987).
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0862940672 The Design of the English Country House] (1985) Trefoil Publications Ltd, hardcover, ISBN-10: 0862940672, ISBN-13: 978-0862940676.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0913962759 The Architect and the British Country House, 1620-1920] (1985) American Institute of Architects Press, paperback, ISBN-10: 0913962759, ISBN-13: 978-0913962756.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0862940362 Great Drawings from the Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects] (1983) with Jill Lever and Margaret Richardson, Trefoil Publications Ltd, ISBN-10: 0862940362, ISBN-13: 978-0862940362. [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0862940370 Also] ISBN-10: 0862940370, ISBN-13: 978-0862940379.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0047200243 William Talman: Maverick Architect] (1982) Genius of Architecture Series, Allen and Unwin, ISBN-10: 0047200243, ISBN-13: 978-0047200243. [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0047200251 Paperback edition] (1982) ISBN-10: 0047200251, ISBN-13: 978-0047200250.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0847804208 The Palladians] (1982) Rizzoli, paperback, ISBN-10: 0847804208, ISBN-13: 978-0847804207.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0905978056 Lost Houses of Scotland] (1980) with Marcus Binney and Emma Winnington, Save Britain's Heritage, ISBN-10: 0905978056, ISBN-13: 978-0905978055.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0856670537 The Artist and the Country House] (1979) Sotheby Parke Bernet, ISBN-10: 0856670537, ISBN-13: 978-0856670534.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0706410823 A Garden Alphabet] (1979) compiled by John Harris in association with The Victoria and Albert Museum for the Garden Exhibition, Octopus Books, ISBN-10: 0706410823, ISBN-13: 978-0706410822.
* [http://www.antiqbook.co.uk/boox/keogh/28730.shtml Gardens of Delight, The Rococo English Landscape of Thomas Robins The Elder] (1978) with natural history notes by Dr Martyn Rix, 2 volumes, Basilisk Press, limited edition of 515 copies, based on the 1975-6 RIBA exhibition.
* [http://www.amazon.com/dp/0500240949 The Destruction of the Country House: 1875-1975] (1974) with Roy Strong and Marcus Binney, Thames & Hudson Ltd, ISBN-10: 0500240949, ISBN-13: 978-0500240946.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0576155624 Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: Colen Campbell] (1973) Gregg Revivals, ISBN-10: 0576155624, ISBN-13: 978-0576155625.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0576155594 Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: Inigo Jones and John Webb] (1973) Gregg Revivals, ISBN-10: 0576155594, ISBN-13: 978-0576155595.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0901262102 A Country House Index] (1971) An index to over 2000 country houses illustrated in 107 books of country views published between 1715 and 1872, together with a list of British country house guides and country house art collection catalogues for the period 1726-1880, Pinhorns Handbooks No 7, ISBN-10: 0901262102, ISBN-13: 978-0901262103. [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0901262218 2nd edition] (1979) Pinhorns, ISBN-10: 0901262218, ISBN-13: 978-0901262219.
* [http://www.amazon.com/dp/083980766X Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening In American Collections 1550-1900] (1971) Irvington Pub, ISBN-10: 083980766X, ISBN-13: 978-0839807667.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0302020764 Sir William Chambers: Knight of the Polar Star] (1970) with J. Mordaunt Crook and Eileen Harris, Zwemmer, ISBN-10: 0302020764, ISBN-13: 978-0302020760.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0600431525 Georgian Country Houses] (1968) Royal Institute of British Architects Drawings Series, Country Life Books, ISBN-10: 0600431525, ISBN-13: 978-0600431527.
* [http://www.pevsner.co.uk/pages/books/bk23.html Lincolnshire] (1964) Buildings of England series, with Nikolaus Pevsner, Penguin. Revised by Nicholas Antram in [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0140710272 1970] and [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0300096208 1989] .
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0854586385 Regency Furniture Designs from Contemporary Source Books, 1803-26] (1961) Master Hands Series, Tiranti, ISBN-10: 0854586385, ISBN-13: 978-0854586387. [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000CKZQR A collection of pattern books with various comparative plates of 1744 to 1812] (1961) Tiranti, ASIN: B0000CKZQR.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0854586083 English Decorative Ironwork from Contemporary Source Books, 1610-1836] (1960) Master Hands Series, Tiranti, ISBN-10: 0854586083, ISBN-13: 978-0854586080. [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000CKJ8B A collection of drawings and pattern books] (1960) Tiranti, ASIN: B0000CKJ8B.
Books - Editor
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0198173628 Catalogue of the Drawings by Inigo Jones, John Webb and Isaac De Caus at Worcester College, Oxford] (1979) edited with A.A. Tait, Oxford University Press, ISBN-10: 0198173628, ISBN-13: 978-0198173625.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0853621047 The Rise and Progress of the Present Taste in Planting: Parks, Pleasure Grounds, Gardens, etc: A Facsimile] (1970) Oriel Press, ISBN-10: 0853621047, ISBN-13: 978-0853621041.
* [http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/0713901136 Country Seat: Studies in the History of the British Country House] (1970) Presented to Sir John Summerson on His Sixty-Fifth Birthday Together with a Select Bibliography of His Published Writings, edited with Howard Colvin, published by Allen Lane (the Penguin Press), ISBN-10: 0713901136, ISBN-13: 978-0713901139.
Books - Exhibition Catalogues
* [http://www.soane.org/archive.html#passionforbuilding A Passion for Building: the Amateur Architect in England 1650-1850] (2007) with Robert Hradsky, for
Sir John Soane's Museum, ISBN-13: 978-0954904166.
* [http://www.soane.org/shop.html William Kent (1685 - 1748): A Poet on Paper] (1998) Sir John Soane's Museum.
* [http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780300069402 Sir William Chambers: Architect to George III] (1996) Yale University Press, ISBN-10: 0300069405.
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0962258822 The Artist and the Country House: From the Fifteenth Century to the Present Day] (1996) Exhibition to Benefit the Prince of Wales's Institute of Architecture, Sotheby's, ISBN-10: 0962258822, ISBN-13: 978-0962258824.
* [http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780300059847 The Palladian Revival: Lord Burlington, His Villa and Garden at Chiswick] (1994) Yale University Press, ISBN-10: 0300059841, which won the Architectural Exhibition Catalogue Award of the Society of Architectural Historians in 1995.
* [http://www.architecture.com/LibraryDrawingsAndPhotographs/Publications/HeinzGallery.aspx Silent Cities] (1977) An Exhibition of the Memorial and Cemetery Architecture of the Great War, with Gavin Stamp, at the RIBA Heinz Gallery, London.
* [http://www.artfact.com/catalog/viewLot.cfm?lotCode=X0CVFTL1 Gardens of Delight: The Art of Thomas Robins] (1975) RIBA Heinz Gallery, exhibition 9th December 1975 to 20th March 1976.
*Headfort House and Robert Adam (1973) Drawings from The Collection of Mr and Mrs Paul Mellon, at the RIBA Heinz Gallery, London.
*The King's Arcadia: Inigo Jones and the Stuart Court (1973) with Stephen Orgel and Roy Strong, a quatercentenary exhibition at the Banqueting House, Whitehall, London.
Books - Contributor
* Precedents and Various Designs Collected by C.H. Tatham (1982) in [http://www.amazon.com/dp/0262192098 In Search of Modern Architecture: A Tribute to Henry-Russell Hitchcock] , edited by Helen Searing, Architectural History Foundation/Mit Press Series, ISBN-10: 0262192098, ISBN-13: 978-0262192095.
Books - Introduction
* [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0953965309 Inside Out: Historic Watercolour Drawings, Oil Sketches and Paintings of Interiors and Exteriors 1770-1870] (2000) by Frederick Michael Pick, Stair & Company, ISBN-10: 0953965309, ISBN-13: 978-0953965304. Introduction titled "Architectural Drawings: A Short Historiography".
* [http://siris-libraries.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?uri=full=3100001~!49788!0#focus Vitruvius Britannicus, or The British architect...] (1967-72), 4 volumes, reproduced works by Colen Campbell, J. Badeslade, John Rocque, James Gandon, John Woolfe, George Richardson, Denise Addis and Paul Breman, published by Benjamin Blom, New York.
*A Dying Breed of Connoisseur, The Art Newspaper, April 2002.
*Diverting Labyrinths, Country Life magazine, 11 January 1990.
* [http://www.soane.org/annuallecture.htm The Annual Soane Lecture] (2007) Sir John Soane's Museum, London, on Moving Rooms: The Trade in Architectural Salvages.
* [http://www.apollo-magazine.com/issue/january-2006/86766/remembering-the-treasure-houses-of-britain.thtml The Andrew W Mellon Lectures] (1981) on Palladian architecture in England.
* [http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=429&storycode=3093725 Photos of John Harris and the Heinz Gallery, in his "Moving Stories" article, BD Magazine 24 August 2007]
* [http://salvonews.blogspot.com/2007/10/harris-descends-into-hades-to-launch.html Salvo News article on "Moving Rooms" book launch at Lassco on 24 October 2007]
* [http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/court_and_social/article2424618.ece The Times book review of "Moving Rooms", by Marcus Binney, 11 September 2007]
* [http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/houseandgarden/0,,2151183,00.html The Guardian book review of "Moving Rooms", by Sir Simon Jenkins, 18 August 2007]
* [http://www.npg.org.uk/live/search/person.asp?LinkID=mp71444 National Portrait Gallery, portrait of John Harris by Derry Moore, 12th Earl of Drogheda, 1985]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
John Harris — may refer to:Politics and government*John Harris (New York) (1760–1824), United States Congressman from New York *John S. Harris (1825–1906), United States Senator from Louisiana *John T. Harris (1823–1899), United States Representative and… … Wikipedia
John Ruskin — This article is about the art critic, John Ruskin. For the painting of John Ruskin by Millais, see John Ruskin (painting). John Ruskin Coloured engraving of Ruskin Born 8 February 1819( … Wikipedia
Noel Kelly (curator) — Noel Kelly (born 1964) is an Irish art curator, critic, and art management specialist working in contemporary visual art. In 2004, Kelly curated the NSK (Neue Slowenische Kunst) Dublin Event 2004. Kelly curated an exhibition of works by Alice… … Wikipedia
J. Rendel Harris — James Rendel Harris (Plymouth, Devon, January 27, 1852 – March 1, 1941) was an English biblical scholar and curator of manuscripts, who was instrumental in bringing back to light many Syriac Scriptures and other early documents. His contacts at… … Wikipedia
Institute of Jazz Studies — The Institute of Jazz Studies is the largest and most comprehensive library and archive of jazz and jazz related materials in the world, located at the Newark campus of Rutgers University.HistoryThe Institute of Jazz Studies was founded by… … Wikipedia
Captain Beefheart — Don Van Vliet At Convocation Hall, Toronto, in 1974 Background information Birth name Don Glen Vliet Also known as … Wikipedia
Saison 2 de X-Files — Série X Files : Aux frontières du réel Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
St. George Littledale — in late middle age. Born 8 December 1851 … Wikipedia
List of United States Supreme Court cases, volume 35 — This is a list of all the United States Supreme Court cases from volume 35:SCOTUSTable | data =SCOTUSRow case name = John Dubois Lessee of Oliver Wolcott v. Andrew D Hepburn page = 1 decision date = decision year =SCOTUSRow case name = Owings et… … Wikipedia
Marcus Binney — Marcus Binney, CBE (b. 21 September 1944) is a British architectural historian and author. He is best known for his conservation work regarding Britain s heritage. Contents 1 Early and family life 2 Career 3 Books 4 Re … Wikipedia