- Noël (Josh Groban album)
Noël Studio album by Josh Groban Released October 9, 2007 Recorded 2007 Genre Pop / Classical / Vocal / Holiday / Gospel Length 56:01 Label WEA/Reprise Records Producer David Foster Josh Groban chronology Awake
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  ARTISTdirect 
Noël is a Christmas album by singer Josh Groban that was released on October 9, 2007. In the United States, the album is available as a single CD release in most retail stores. However, Target stores released a limited edition version of the album with a bonus DVD that features a "Making of" documentary entitled The Making of Noël.
According to Nielsen/SoundScan, the album sold over 3.6 million copies during the first eleven weeks after its release, making it the overall best-selling album in the U.S. for all of 2007. As of October 16, 2011, the album has sold a total of 5,280,000 copies in the United States according to SoundScan, making it the second best-selling holiday album in the U.S. during the Nielsen/SoundScan era (March 1991 – present) behind Kenny G's 1994 holiday set Miracles: The Holiday Album.
- "Silent Night" - 4:11
- "Little Drummer Boy" - 4:20 (featuring Guitarist Andy McKee and Gigi Hadid)
- "I'll Be Home for Christmas with Messages from real soldiers and voice by Gigi Hadid" - 4:15
- "Ave Maria" - 5:17
- "Angels We Have Heard on High" - 3:32 (duet with Brian McKnight)
- "Thankful" - 4:50
- "The Christmas Song" - 3:54
- "What Child Is This?" - 3:53
- "The First Noël" - 4:34 (duet with Faith Hill)
- "Petit Papa Noël" - 4:05
- "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" - 4:13
- "Panis Angelicus" - 4:19
- "O Come All Ye Faithful" - 4:38 (with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir)
Seven weeks after its release, Noël reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard 200 on the chart dated December 8, 2007. The album sold about 405,000 copies in the week it reached number one, rising from the number two position with an 81% sales increase. The week's sales corresponded to an appearance by Groban on The Oprah Winfrey Show during the highly anticipated annual Oprah's Favorite Things feature.
In the next week, the album stayed at #1 on the Billboard 200 and its sales increased further, by 33%, with 539,000 copies being sold that week.
In its 9th week, the album held the top spot with another 8% increase in sales, moving 581,000 copies, and increased yet again in its tenth week selling 669,000 copies, and again holding the number one spot.
The album has set numerous Billboard 200 records, starting with being the first Christmas album to spend four consecutive weeks at #1 in the charts 51 year history, as well as being only the second Christmas album to ever spend four weeks at #1, tying it with Elvis Presley's Elvis' Christmas Album. It is also the first album to spend four consecutive weeks at #1 and experience a sales increase each of those weeks since No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom album did so in December 1996. The 669,000 copies the album sold in its tenth week was the biggest single week tally for a Christmas album since Kenny G's Miracles: The Holiday Album sold 819,000 copies in the Christmas week of 1994. By its tenth week the album had already become the best selling album of 2007, scanning 2.8 million copies in only a little over two months of release, a rarity in the fast declining physical album market of the past few years.
In its 11th week it became the first album of 2007 to hold #1 for 5 weeks, and the first Christmas album ever to hold #1 on the Billboard 200 for 5 weeks in a row. In that fifth week at #1 it outsold Mary J. Blige's Growing Pains, selling about 757,000 copies. It has so far sold at least 5,280,000 copies in the US according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Certifications, peaks and sales
Country Peak Position Certification (If Any) Sales/shipments Australia 33 Gold 35,000+ Canada 1 3x Platinum 300,000+ France 24 Ireland 26 The Netherlands 26 Poland 1 Gold 10,000+ Sweden 4 Gold 20,000+ USA 1 5x Platinum 5,000,000+
Chart (2010) Position US Billboard 200 85
- ^ Allmusic review
- ^ ARTISTdirect review
- ^ http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=SEARCH_RESULTS
- ^ a b "Ask Billboard: What Are The Best-Selling Holiday Albums?". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 2011-10-16. http://www.billboard.com/#/column/chartbeat/ask-billboard-what-are-the-best-selling-1005413232.story. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- ^ a b "RIAA Searchable Database - Gold & Platinum Certifications". Recording Industry Association of America. http://riaa.org/goldandplatinumdata.php?resultpage=1&table=SEARCH_RESULTS&action=&title=Noel&artist=Groban,_Josh&format=ALBUM&debutLP=&category=SOLO&sex=&releaseDate=&requestNo=&awardDescription=Multi_Platinum&after=&before=&startMonth=1&endMonth=12&startYear=1958&endYear=2010&sort=Artist&perPage=25. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- ^ Katie Hasty, "'Oprah' Visit Helps Groban Soar To No. 1", Billboard.com, November 28, 2007.
- ^ Katie Hasty, "Groban Remains No. 1 In Slow Release Week", Billboard.com, December 5, 2007.
- ^ Katie Hasty, "Groban Ties Elvis With Third Week At No. 1", Billboard.com, December 12, 2007.
- ^ a b Geoff Mayfield, "Groban's 'Noel' Makes Chart History", Billboard.biz, December 18, 2007.
- ^ a b Chris M. Walsh, "Groban, Blige Enjoy Huge Weeks On Album Chart", Billboard.com, December 27, 2007.
- ^ a b c d e f "Josh Groban - Noel worldwide chart positions and trajectories". aCharts.us. Retrieved December 22, 2007.
- ^ "Best of 2010 - Billboard Top 200". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. http://www.billboard.com/#/charts-year-end/top-billboard-200?year=2010. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- ^ Nominations Announced for 39th GMA Dove Awards on CBN.com (February 14, 2008)
As I Am by Alicia Keys
Billboard 200 number-one album
December 8, 2007 - January 5, 2008
Growing Pains by Mary J. Blige
Taking Chances by Céline Dion
Canadian Albums Chart number-one album
December 15, 2007 - January 5, 2008
Taking Chances by Céline Dion
Some Hearts by Carrie Underwood
Billboard Top Albums of The Year
As I Am by Alicia Keys
Studio albums Live albumsAwake Live · "Live At The Greek" (2008) Greatest hits albumsA Collection (2008) Singles Concert toursCloser Tour (2004–05) · Awake Tour (2007) · Before We Begin (2010) · Straight to You Tour (2011) OtherDiscography · Reprise Records
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Awake (Josh Groban album) — Infobox Album | Name = Awake Type = Album Artist = Josh Groban Released = November 07, 2006 Genre = Pop / Classical / Vocal Length = Label = Reprise Records / 143 Records Reviews = * Allmusic Rating|4|5 [http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg… … Wikipedia
Closer (Josh Groban album) — Closer Studio album by Josh Groban Released November 11, 2003 … Wikipedia
Josh Groban — Surnom Josh Groban Nom Joshua Winslow Groban Naissance 27 février 1981 (1981 02 27) … Wikipédia en Français
Josh Groban — im Februar 2009 Chartplatzierungen (vorläufig) Vorlage:Infobox Chartplatzierungen/Wartung/vorläufige Chartplatzierung Erklärung de … Deutsch Wikipedia
Josh Groban — Datos generales Nombre real Joshua Winslow Groban Nacimiento … Wikipedia Español
Josh Groban — Infobox musical artist | Name = Josh Groban |250px Landscape = Background = solo singer Birth name = Joshua Winslow Groban Alias = Born = birth date and age|1981|2|27 Origin = Los Angeles, California, United States Voice type = unclear*see below… … Wikipedia
Noel (disambiguation) — Noel is another word for Christmas. Noel may also refer to: People: Noel (given name), people or fictional characters named Noel Bill Noël (1914 1987), Texas oil industrialist and philanthropist Christian Noël (born 1945), French fencer Claude… … Wikipedia
Noel (album) — Noel could refer to:* Noël (Joan Baez album) * Noël (Josh Groban album) * Noel (Noel album) … Wikipedia
Groban — Josh Groban im Februar 2009 Chartplatzierungen (vorläufig)Vorlage:Infobox Chartplatzierungen/Wartung/vorläufige Chartplatzierung Erklärung der Daten Singles … Deutsch Wikipedia
Groban, Josh — ▪ 2009 Joshua Winslow Groban born Feb. 27, 1981, Los Angeles, Calif. Just eight years after putting his dream of a college theatre degree on hold so that he could try his hand at a recording career, American singer Josh Groban began 2008 on a… … Universalium