- Roberto Paci Dalò
name =Roberto Paci Dalò
| caption =
office =| term_start =
term_end =| alongside =
birth_date =birth date and age|1962|01|27|df=y
relations =| children =
occupation =Director, Composer, Artist
profession =Director, Composer, Artist
website = [http://giardini.sm/rpd ]
Roberto Paci Dalò (born 27 January
1962in Rimini) is an Italian composer and musician, film and theatre director, visual artist.
After musical, visual, and architectural studies in Fiesole, Faenza and
Ravenna, in 1993 he has been recipient of the “Berliner Künstlerprogramm des DAAD” Fellowship [ [http://www.berliner-kuenstlerprogramm.de/en/gast.php?id=627 Berliner Künstlerprogramm ] ] . He taught "Media Dramaturgy" and "New Media" at the University of Siena[ [http://www.giardini.sm/research/index.htm [ Research & Development ] ] and he is member of the Internationale Heiner MüllerGesellschaft Berlin [ [http://www.ihmg.de/de/gesellschaft/mitglieder Internationale Heiner Müller Gesellschaft - Gesellschaft - Mitglieder ] ] . His work has won him international admiration from among others, John Cage[ [http://giardini.sm/rpd Roberto Paci Dalò Web Site ] ] and Aleksandr Sokurov.
A pioneer in the use of digital technologies and telecommunication systems in art, particularly interested in
performing artsas a meeting point of languages, he wrote, composed and directed since 1985 about 25 music-theatre works presented worldwide [ [http://www.giardini.sm/theatre.htm spettacoli / performing arts ] ] . He composed music for acoustical ensembles, electronics, voices and a large number of innovative radioworks produced by European broadcasting corporations. [ [http://www.giardini.sm/oradio.htm Opere radiofoniche, Radioworks, Hörspiele, and Telematic Radio Projects ] ] Parallel to his musical work there is a body of films and videos regularly presented in international festivals [ [http://www.giardini.sm/cinema Roberto Paci Dalò : Films & Documentaries ] ] [ [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2327955/bio Roberto Paci Dalò - Biography ] ] . His dramaturgical materials are frequently re-composed in sound and video installations – often site specific and interactive – presented in museums, galleries, and the public space. [ [http://www.giardini.sm/installa.htm roberto paci dalò ||| shows & installations 1982-2006 ] ]
Roberto Paci Dalò'has developed a multi-layered language out of his background in sound and visual arts, which combines the spoken language with body and architecture. The use of new technologies in combination with an analysis on classical tragic drama, makes his productions innovative in the way he combines on stage classicity and modernity.
He collaborates with a number of institutions and research centres including
University of Bologna, Domus Academy Milan [ [http://www.domusacademy.it Scuola di Design e Moda - Master in Design e Moda - Domus Academy ] ] , BreraFine Arts Academy Milan, Ascoli Piceno and Romeuniversities, and Great Northern Way Campus, where he develops projects between technology, art, and the urban space in collaboration with designers, architects, city planners, artists, programmers, theoreticians and hackers. Areas of work: robotics, cybernetics, man-machine interaction, psychoacoustics, realtime video and sound processing.
As performer he developed extended techniques on the
clarinetand with electronics and sampler. His performances range from solo to electro-acoustical ensembles and improvised music projects in collaboration with other artists. His interest in traditional cultures brought him into explorations and field researches through the Mediterranean, Eastern Europe, Balcans and the North West European islands.
He works on expansions of radio language(s) especially through his long term collaboration with ORF Kunstradio [ [http://kunstradio.at/BIOS/pacidalobio.html Roberto Paci Dalò ] ] . Among his on-site/on-air/on-line projects: La Natura Ama Nascondersi (Kunstradio 1992), Napoli (Nantes 1994, official selection Prix Italia), La lunga notte (1993, award EBU/UER), Lost Memories (Graz 1994, official selection Prix Futura), Many Many Voices (Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlino 1995, CD Edel Records / Akademie der Künste Berlin), Fuori Luogo (commissioned by SFB Sender Freies Berlin for the Prix Europa 98 opening), OZ (SFB / Sonambiente 1996), Italia anno zero (with
Olga Neuwirth, (2005) [http://italiaannozero.org] .
Paci Dalò is collecting soundscapes since the beginning of the 80's. His interest in urban spaces brought him to the creation of a corpus of sound and visual work based on this research. Some of this activity is documented on-line in the permanent website Atlas Linz (since 1998) created in collaboration with the
Ars Electronica Center Linz. The site is conceived as an open net space devoted to urban explorations and interventions. [http://www.aec.at/residence/atlas] His urban explorations are a fundamental aspect in his work.
In 1993 he “invented” the Publiphono a project – based on the public address system of the Rimini beach – used to created environmental audio performance along 15 km of the coast. Several artists were commissioned to produce pieces for it.
In 1994 with
Marina Abramovicand Barbara Bloom he has been invited to the project “Bildende Kunst auf dem Theater” at Hebbel-Theater Berlin. In 1995 the Kronos Quartetpremiered at the Vienna Opera House his composition Nodas.
In 1997 he created Trance Bakxai, a sort of artist's
raveinspired by Euripides. This project has been presented several times in industrial archeology venues. [ [http://giardini.sm/projects/bakxai BAKXAI ] ]
In 2001 he staged the performance work Metamorfosi created through a one month film scanning of the Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana in Roma EUR: the modernist icon from
1942[ [http://giardini.sm/projects/metamorfosi Metamorfosi ] ] . The performance became then a film which has been part of the official selection of the 54th Locarno Film Festival. In the same year he presented the film RAX, dedicated to the artist Robert Adrian X [ [http://giardini.sm/projects/rax RAX a video Roberto Paci Dalo' ] ] , at the ViennaKunsthalle.
In 2002 he created with the English artist and musician
Philip Jeckthe film and concert performance Mush Room. In 2004 he has created with the Austrian composer Olga Neuwirththe staged concert Italia anno zero after texts by Antonio Gramsci, Pier Paolo Pasoliniand Giacomo Leopardi.
He develops interfaces and software/hardware in different research centres & foundations. Artist-in-residence at Djerassi Foundation (
San Francisco), STEIM ( Amsterdam), Ars Electronica FutureLab (Linz), Montévidéo and GMEM ( Marseille), La Bellone (Bruxelles), Western Front ( Vancouver).
Since 2008 collaborates with Boeri Studio architecture studio in Milan [ [http://www.stefanoboeri.net Stefanoboeri.Net ] ] and ISFI International School Fashion & Industry (Misano Adriatico) [ [http://giardini.sm/isfi ISFI International School for Fashion & Industry ] ] .
Recent works include a series of
Berlinprojects based on Heiner Müller's texts: Greuelmärchen - sound/video installation (Internationale Heiner Müller Gesellschaft, Berlin), Schwarzes Licht, Roter Schnee. [ [http://giardini.sm/greuelmaerchen Greuelmaerchen ] ] In 2006 he created the music-theatre production Organo magico organo laico featuring Mouse on Marsand Icarus musicians at the REC Festival (Teatro Valli, Reggio Emilia) [ [http://giardini.sm/organolaico/ ORGANO LAICO > home ] ] . In the same year he created the music-theatre work Cenere after texts by Amelia Rosselliand Gabriele Frasca(Teatro Comunale di Monfalcone). [ [http://giardini.sm/projects/cenere cenere > home ] ] In 2007 he has presented his solo exhibition City Works - urban explorations and interventions in the cities of Berlin, Ciudad de México, Linz, Napoli, Rimini, Rome, Vancouver- at the Gallery SESV (University of Florence- Department of Architecture) [ [http://giardini.sm/projects/cityworks/ ::: C I T Y W O R K S ::: ] ] . In the same year he presented his solo exhibition Sparks (site-specific installation and drawings on paper) at the contemporary arts centre Palazzo delle Papesse Siena[ [http://giardini.sm/projects/sparks/ S P A R K S ] ] and the videoinstallation Shadows at Studio Zero, the exhibition space of Duomo Hotel created by Ron Aradin Rimini [ [http://giardini.sm/projects/shadows/ ::: S H A D O W S ::: ] ] . In the same year he presented a triple project at the Ars ElectronicaFestival in Linz. In that occasion he performed Napoli (the historical work created in 1993 and already presented in Linz in 1995). Napoli is an immersive multi-channel sound portrait of the Italian city. Within the festival he premiered the film IMA Fiction #3 Heidi Grundmann[ [http://www.ima.or.at/?page_id=483&language=en ima.or.at » portrait #3 07 ] ] (a portrait of the seminal figure in radio and telecommunication world) and the latpop performance Elektra.
As curator, he created in 1990 the non-profit organization Amici della Musica Rimini. Between 1991 and 1998 he created and curated in Rimini the International radio + art festival LADA L’Arte dell'Ascolto. In the frame of the festival several projects were created and some of them are still reference for today's art & technology's activities. He brought to Rimini artists like
Heiner Goebbels, Ensemble Modern, Llorenç Barber, Soldier String Quartet, Scanner, David Moss, Rupert Huber (Tosca), Sam Auinger, Hannes Strobl, Tibor Szemzo a.o. [http://www.giardini.sm/lada]
Since 1990 curator and co-ordinator of international projects based on telecommunication systems and the Internet as working places (i.e. trustee of the Mediterranean network of Horizontal Radio, Ars Electronica 1995; Rivers & Bridges).In 1994 creation the Giardini Pensili Web Site (www.giardini.sm).In 1995 creation of Radio Lada - web art radio. Between 1999 and 2001 curator of Itaca - the electronic stage of the Teatro di Roma - working together with Mario Martone.Co-curator of the project Aria-Net (Marseille,
Lisbon, Rimini, Vienna).In 2000 he curated — invited by RAI — part of the Radio and Internet programme within the Prix Italia(Bologna-Rimini).In 2004 he created the label LADA L’Arte dell’Ascolto devoted to electronics, spoken words, soundscape and urban explorations.Since 2006 artistic director of the contemporary arts centre Velvet Factory (Rimini). [http://velvet.it Velvet Club & Velvet Factory / space for the arts ] ] Since 2007 Video Designer for Nomi Club / Duomo Hotel created by Ron Aradin Rimini. [ [http://www.nomiclub.com noMi promotion club ] ]
Authors and writings
Since the end of the 80's he composes and directs radio works commissioned by European broadcasting corporations (RAI, ORF, DeutschlandRadio, WDR among others) working on texts by Predrag Matvejevic',
Samih al-Qasim, Yehuda Amichai, Ingeborg Bachmann, Walter Benjamin, Giorgio Agamben, Antonio Pizzuto, Heiner Müller, Giacomo Leopardi, Antonio Gramsci. He has been working on texts by Samuel Beckett, Euripides, Gabriele Frasca, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Alexandra Petrova, Colette Tron, Tommaso Ottonieri, Emily Dickinson, Daniel Varujan, Amelia Rosselli, Alexandra Petrova. Alessandro Dal Lago, Jolanda Insana, Tommaso Ottonieri, Lello Voce, Piergiorgio Odifreddi, Stefano Boeri, Giacomo Lubrano, Patrizia Valduga.
He was awarded the Prix Ars Electronica Award of Distinction for Interactive Arts in 1994 and 1999.Recipient of the
Berliner Künstlerprogrammdes DAAD Fellowship in 1993-94.
“Roberto Paci Dalò's concert at the Experimental Intermedia (NYC) was a surprise and a pleasure for me. His attention to details is exactly what we need right now. The concert was a wonderful example in the nuances intonation and in the representation of the clarinet as a solo instrument and in the joining of music to words”."
"...if the new multimedia is going anywhere at all, Paci Dalò's "Animalie" is leading the way, a truly great show!!!!"
"I enjoyed your music very much and wish you great success in your future projects. With best regards and much respect"."
Contemporary Arts Centre. A large scale creation lab and a residence place in Rimini. From sound to cinema (with a particular attention on documentary, animation and live cinema), passing through performing arts (dance, music, theatre), radio, visual arts, design, architecture, words, fashion, philosophy. For a culture of the creative city and the cultural district, mixed media and project culture, dramaturgy, contemporary arts’ language and electronics within a Time Based Arts approach. Velvet Factory it's multidisciplinary space, which allows a daily work, open to both well-known artists and young talented artists. Within the project operates the Velvet-Lab think-tank and creative studio.
His music has been performed by musicians like
David Moss, Kronos Quartet, Philip Jeck, Rupert Huber (Tosca), Esti Kenan-Ofri, Giorgio Magnanensi, Sainkho Namtchylak, Icarus Ensemble, Gerfried Stocker, Giancarlo Cardini, Stefano Scodanibbio, Tenores di Bitti, Gordon Monahan, Joelle Leandre, Roberto Lucanero.Other collaborations include musicians Olga Neuwirth, Alvin Curran, Fred Frith, Scanner, Tom Cora, Mouse on Mars, Terry Riley; artists Peter Courtemanche, Kurt Hantschläger (Granular Synthesis), Salvo Cuccia, Richard Long, Tullio Brunone, Patrizio Esposito, Oreste Zevola, Maurizio Cattelan, Robert Adrian X, Paolo Rosa / Studio Azzurro; writers Yehuda Amichai, Samih al-Qasim, Predrag Matvejevic', Gabriele Frasca, Giorgio Agamben, Alexandra Petrova; dancers Caterina Sagna and Valentina Buldrini. He directed actors like Umberto Orsini, Massimo Popolizio, Saverio La Ruina, Enzo Moscato, Franco Branciaroli, Silvio Orlando, Nicoletta Fabbri, Anna Bonaiuto, Sandro Lombardi, Rita Maffei, Fabiano Fantini, Marcello Sambati, Heiko Senst,
Theatre and Music-Theatre
* Sentieri Segreti, 1985
* Corrispondenze Naturali, 1986
* Sound House, 1986
* Un cantico / partiture sonore, 1986
* A Harmonic Walk, 1987
* Cave di pietra, 1987
* Il calore della terra, 1987
* Nel fondo del giardino, 1987
* Terre Unite, 1988
* Terre Separate, 1988
* Temporale, 1989
* Terrae Motvs, 1991
* Niemandsland, 1992
* Terra di Nessuno, 1993
* Auroras, 1994
* Metrodora, 1996
* Scanning Bacchae, 1997
* Trance Bakxai, 1997
* Nishmat Hashmal, 1998
* Cieli altissimi retrocedenti, 1998
* Enigma, 1998
* Stasimi, 1998
* Sophon Sophia, 1998
* Il Cartografo, 1999
* Affreschi / due porte per Tebe, 1999
* Sirene, 2000
* Shir, 2000
* Animalie, 2002
* Blue Stories, 2001
* Metamorfosi, 2001
* Local & Long Distance, 2003
* Petrolio / Rose, 2003
* Stelle della sera, 2004
* Filmnero, 2004
* Altri fuochi, 2005
* Porpora, 2005
* Italia anno zero, 2005
* Petroleo México, 2005
* Tremante omaggio, 2005
* Roter Schnee, 2006
* Qual è la parola, 2006
* Organo magico organo laico, 2006
* Words, 2006
* Cenere, 2006
* L'assedio delle ceneri, 2008
Radio and Telematic Projects
* 1989 "Segnali radio sulla costa atlantica". ORF / Kunstradio, Vienna. ORF 1, 26.1.1989.
* 1989 "Quattro canti sulla circolarità del tempo". RAI Radiouno / Audiobox. RAI Radiouno, 16.2.1989.
* 1991 "Combattimento tra Marsia e Apollo". Opera radiofonica by Roberto Paci Dalò and Jon Rose. SFB Sender Freies Berlin, SFB, June 1991.
* 1992 "La natura ama nascondersi: Mozart in Budapest 1791-1832". Giardini Pensili,
ORFVienna "Geometrie des Schweigens", Vienna, Palais Lichtenstein Museum Moderner Kunst- Innsbruckl, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum in interactive video and sound connection, 1992
* 1992 "Niemandsland". ORF Kunstradio Vienna, with the collaboration of Transit Innsbruck and Giardini Pensili Innsbruck, Tiroler Landesmuseum and Landesstudio Tirol, 1992
* 1993 "La lunga notte" Halaila Ha'aroch / Leilun Tauil. Österreichischer Rundfunk / Kunstradio, RAI Radiotelevisione Italiana / Audiobox, L'Arte dell'Ascolto. 30.8.1993
* 1993 "Napoli". Giardini Pensili, ORF Kunstradio, L'Alfabeto Urbano in collaboration with RAI Radiouno Audiobox, October 1993
* 1994 "Lost Memories". Giardini Pensili Rimini, ESC Graz, ORF Kunstradio with the collaboration of RAI Radiotre Audiobox, Graz ESC / ORF1, 29.9.1994
*1995 "Realtime". ORF Kunstradio. 1.12.1995
* 1995 "Many Many Voices". SFB Sender Freies Berlin, Giardini Pensili Rimini, ORF Kunstradio Vienna, RNE Radio-2 Madrid,
YLEYleisradio Helsinki with the collaboration of: Institut Français de Berlin, Italienischer Kulturinstitut Berlin, Österreichischer Generalkonsulat Berlin, Elektronisches Studio der TU. Simultaneous Live Broadcasting. SFB 4 MultiKulti and YLEFinland in performance from the Haus der Kulturen der Welt Berlin. 29.1.1995
* 1995 "Horizontal Radio". 23.6.1995.
* 1996 "Oz". Akademie der Künste Berlin, Sender Freies Berlin, Giardini Pensili. Berlin, SFB Lichthof, 7.3.1996
* 1996 "Terra di nessuno". Giardini Pensili, RAI Audiobox. RAI Radiotre Audiobox
* 1996 Shpil. Phonurgia Nova Arles, Giardini Pensili, RAI Audiobox, San Marino RTV, Kunsthochschule für Medien Cologne, Kol Israel. RAI Radiotre Audiobox 10.8.1996
* 1998 "Atlanti invisibili". Giardini Pensili, RAI Audiobox. ORF Kunstradio. 3.9.1998
* 1998 "Genetliaco". RAI Audiobox, July 1998
* 2001 "Blue Stories - Vienna Remix". Giardini Pensili in collaboration with ORF Kunstradio, RaiNet. ORF Kunstradio,
* 2002 "Devolve into II". Oesterreich 1 and Radio Oesterreich International. 17.3.2002Kunstradio Live radio version in conjunction with the on site installation in Vienna. From studio RP4, Vienna Broadcastinghouse. Klangtheater Live radio.
March 24.3.2002Bayern2Radio/ hr2 /WDR 3/ Oe1/ NordwestRadio/ SR2.Intermedium 2 - radio broadcast (mix from the Klangtheater installation in Vienna).ZKM Radio/Intermedium2 Radio piece. Oesterreich 1 and Radio Oesterreich International. March 31.3.2002
* 2002 "Transfert". musikprotokoll im steirischen herbst, Transcultures Bruxelles und
Wien Modernin Zusammenarbeit mit dem Ö1 Kunstradio. ORF Kunstradio, 3.11.2002
* 2004 "Italia Anno Zero". By Olga Neuwirth and Roberto Paci Dalò. Giardini Pensili & Wien Modern in collaboration with
Budapest Autumn Festival, ORF Kunstradio, Terra Gramsci supported by Réseau Varèse and the European Commission (Culture 2000). ORF Kunstradio, 28.10.2004
* 2005 "Kol Beck - Living Strings". WDR Studio Akustische Kunst, Cologne, 24.9.2005
* Napoli (1994)
* Horizontal Radio (1994)
* Many Many Voices (1995)
* Sumi (2000)
* Ozio (2000)
* City Sonics (2003)
* In Two Worlds (2004)
* Pneuma (2005)
* AVN+RPD (2005)
* Sparks (2007)
* 2001 "Camera Obscura" - based on the music-theatre performance Metamorfosi starring Anna Bonaiuto (Official selection Locarno Film Festival)
* 2001 "RAX" - a documentary - interview to Canadian artist Robert Adrian X (Official selection Locarno Film Festival)
* 2001 "Blue Stories" - live cinema (Official selection Locarno Film Festival)
* 2002 "EMN40" - film after the audio-video installation commissioned by the Ensemble Musiques Nouvelles for its 40th anniversary
* 2003 "Dust" - film created as a contribution to the Rome Quadriennale (Official selection Locarno Film Festival)
* 2005 "Petroleo México" - filmed in Ciudad de México (Official selection Locarno Film Festival)
* 2007 "Shadows" - after the videoinstallation for the Duomo Hotel created by Ron Arad
* 2007 "IMA Portrait #3 Heidi Grundmann" - a documentary - interview to Kunstradio's founder and former producer Heidi Grundmann
* 2008 "Nitschland Napoli" - film created under invitation of the Fondazione Morra Napoli on the occasion of the Museo
Hermann Nitsch's opening
* La porta aperta 2. Roma: Teatro di Roma, 1999.
* Bazzichelli, Tatiana. Networking. Milano: Costa & Nolan, 2007.
* Dehò, Valerio. Silenzio. Sei meditazioni oltre il rumore. Reggio Emilia: Comune di Reggio Emilia, 1997.
* Gemini, Laura. L'incertezza creativa, Milano: Franco Angeli, 2003.
* La Motte-Haber, Helga de, ed. Klangkunst. Munich: Prestel, 1996.
* Mango, Lorenzo and Morra Giuseppe. Living Theatre: labirinti dell'immaginario. Napoli: Edizioni Fondazione Morra, 2003.
* Montecchi, Leonardo, ed. Officine della dissociazione. Bologna: Pitagora, 2000.
* Ortoleva, Peppino and Scaramucci, Barbara, ed. le Garzantine. Radio. Milano: Garzanti, 2003.
* Paci Dalò, Roberto and Fragliasso, Savina. Pneuma. Giardini Pensili un paesaggio sonoro. Monfalcone: Teatro Comunale di Monfalcone, 2005.
* Paci Dalò, Roberto and Quinz, Emanuele, ed. Millesuoni. Deleuze, Guattari e la musica elettronica. Napoli: Cronopio, 2006. Contributions by Paul D. Miller aka DJ Spooky, Guy-Marc Hinant, Achim Szpeanski, Christopher Cox, Timothy S. Murphy.
* Paracchini, Fabio. Cybershow. Cinema e teatro con Internet. Milano: Ubulibri, 1996.
* Quinz, Emanuele, ed. Digital Performance. Paris: Anomos, 2002.
* Storch, Wolfgang and Ruschkowski, Klaudia, ed. Sire, das war ich. Leben Gundlings Friedrich von Preußen Lessings Schlaf Traum Schrei Heiner Müller Werkbuch. Berlin: Theater der Zeit, 2007.
* Roberto Paci Dalò Official website http://giardini.sm/rpd
* Roberto Paci Dalò films and music on myspace http://myspace.com/robertopacidalo
* Giardini Pensili Official Website http://giardini.sm
* Velvet Factory http://velvet.it
* Internationale Heiner Müller Gesellschaft http://www.ihmg.de
* Roberto Paci Dalò - Sparks - Audio Interview on Radio Papesse http://radiopapesse.org
* John Cage's mesostic dedicated to Roberto Paci Dalò http://giardini.sm/rpd
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kronos Quartet — performing in Warsaw, Poland in the summer of 2006 Background information Origin Seattle, Washington, United States … Wikipedia
January 27 — Events* 98 Trajan becomes Roman Emperor after the death of Nerva. *661 Rashidun Caliphate ended with death of Ali. *1142 Wrongful execution of noted Song Dynasty General Yue Fei. *1186 Henry VI, the son and heir of the Holy Roman Emperor… … Wikipedia
Carola Unterberger-Probst — (born 9 May 1978 in Salzburg), aka [cup] or Carola Unterberger, is an internationally known Austrian media artist and philosopher of art. In addition to video installations and experimental films, her work contains Objet d art, paintings and… … Wikipedia
Stone, Brick, Glass, Wood, Wire — Infobox Album Name = Stone, Brick, Glass, Wood, Wire Type = Live album Artist = Fred Frith Background = orange Released = 1999 Recorded = North America and Europe between 1992 and 1995 Genre = Experimental rock Improvisation Length = 1:34:36… … Wikipedia
Radio FRO — Allgemeine Informationen Empfang analog terrestrisch, Kabel, Internet Live Stream … Deutsch Wikipedia
Gordon Monahan — (born 1956 in Kingston, Ontario) is a Canadian pianist and composer of experimental music. He has been active since at least 1978. Along with his own work, he has performed works by other composers such as John Cage, James Tenney, Udo Kasemets… … Wikipedia