- Technology education
Technology education is a study of technology, which provides an opportunity for students to learn about the processes and knowledge related to technology. As a study, it covers the human ability to shape and change the physical world to meet needs, by manipulating materials and tools with techniques. As education, the goal is to teach the knowledge and techniques to develop
technological literacywhich is accomplished by bringing laboratory activities to students. Technacyeducation is an innovative approach to technology education in Australia, which differs in that it is accomplished by situating students in the context of the need. The term "technology education" is frequently shortened to "tech ed".
History of Technology Education
In many countries, in the last century, technology education has evolved through craft, or technical skills, education - from
Industrial Artsand Manual Training. Industrial Arts programs were also known as "shop classes", a derivation of "workshop". Today, technology education students generally work in labs and perform laboratory activities. In the past, many referred to the work areas used in technology education as "shops", however, many teachers have encouraged students to use the term "lab". That follows the hierarchy of science (knowing about the world) > technology (applying that knowledge to solve problems, ie to improve the world) > engineering (applying that knowledge on a large scale to develop systems and structures).
Britain was perhaps the first country to include the field of technology in the national curriculum for schools, from 1989 - compulsory for most learners from Year 1 (Grade 1, age 5) to Year 11). (At the same time, information technology was made compulsory for all from Year 1 to (more recently) Year 13.)
The school subject of technology in Britain includes the traditional craft areas of "craft, design and technology" (working with resistive materials and with pliant materials, and technical drawing) and "domestic science" or "home economics" (working with textiles and food). However, there is an explicit intention to view technology as the all-encompassing human activity of problem-solving; the Government introduced the concept of secondary schools (Years 7-11 or 7-13) called city technology colleges in the 1980s and technology colleges in the 1990s. This is to encourage a problem-solving approach to tech study of ALL subjects; even so, it is very rare to find that in practice.
Association for Science Education(ASE) and the Royal Societywere highly influential in these developments, as were some of the educational IT professional groups. The Design and Technology Association(DATA) is perhaps Britain's most influential association as regards technology education now.
Association for Career and Technical Education(ACTE) is the largest American national education association dedicated to supporting technology education.
Objectives of Technology Education
Technology education allows learners to explore a variety of activities related to many areas of human endeavor. Learners can develop problem solving strategies and work habits that will be useful in almost any career and or occupation. Learners should develop a greater appreciation for the work of craft workers and the skill required of that work.
Within the scope of this educational program is the effort to develop “soft skills” within the learner, as well as an opportunity for the learner to see how systems work together and the chance to put much of the academic class instruction to work in an applied way.
Many of the skills that are to be taught in technology education classes are identified in the 1991 SCANS Secretary's Commission on Achieving Necessary Skills Report. Many of these soft skills may be better developed in a lab, problem solving setting than in a typical academic classroom.
Technology education versus
The goal of technology education is different from
technical education. Technical education teaches specific skills directed toward a specific type of work, for example, carpentry, automotive maintenance, welding, or computer network administration, whereas technology educationhas a more generalized approach.
Technology education is often confused with the term
educational technology, which denotes technological devices and methods of delivering or developing educational information.
Science, Technology, Society and Environment Education
National Center for Engineering and Technology Education
Statistics Online Computational Resourcefor Education
* [http://www.iteaconnect.org International Technology Education Association]
* [http://www.mos.org/nctl/ National Center for Technological Literacy] at the
Museum of Science, Boston
* [http://teched.vcsu.edu Valley City State University Department of Technology]
* [http://www.melroseschools.com/mms/tech_ed Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School Tech Ed]
* [http://www.technology-education.org Technology Education Online Classroom]
* [http://www.okcareertech.org Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education]
* [http://www.nystea.com New York State Technology Education Association]
* [http://www.iteaconnect.org International Technology Education Association]
* [http://www.oswego.edu/tech State University of New York at Oswego Department Of Technology]
* [http://www.epsilonpitau.org Epsilon Pi Tau - International Honor Society for Technology]
* [http://www.ltsa.org Louisiana Technology Student Association, USA]
* [http://www.courselist.org New York City Technology Course Search Organization]
* [http://www.scu.edu.au/technologyeducation Australian University Example of Technology Education Unit]
* [http://www.oswego.edu/~waite SUNY Oswego, Dept. of Technology, Dr. William Waite's Academic Web Site]
* [http://www.mrdeleon.com Technology Education, Clarksville Middle School]
* [http://www.oswego.edu/~waite/OUP-MainPage.html 23 Course Outlines for High School Technology Education Courses]
*Nuuanu Elementary School Example of Technology Education
* [http://www.angelfire.com/trek/bmsteched Blackhawk Middle School Technology Education Virtual Hub]
* [http://www.acteonline.org Association of Career and Technical Education (ACTE)]
* [http://www.njtea.org New Jersey Technology Education Association]
* [http://studentorg.georgiasouthern.edu/techedu Georgia Southern University - Tech Ed]
* [http://www.teap-online.org/ Technology Education Association of Pennsylvania]
* [http://www.patsa.org/ Pennsylvania Technology Student Association]
* [http://sai.cup.edu/sai/clubs/teac/ Technology Education Association of California]
* [http://www.iteaconnect.org/TAA/TAA.html Technology for All Americans Project]
* [http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JTE/ Journal of Technology Education]
* [http://www.tiesmagazine.org/ The Magazine of Design and Technology]
* [http://www.techdirections.com/ Technology Directions Magazine]
* [http://studentorg.georgiasouthern.edu/techedu/ Georgia Southern University Technology Education]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education — Great Seal of Oklahoma … Wikipedia
Minnesota Technology Education Association — (MTEA) is the professional organization of technology education and industrial technology teachers in Minnesota; an affiliate of the International Technology Education Association (ITEA). Membership averages about 250 teachers. Though membership… … Wikipedia
National Center for Engineering and Technology Education — The National Center for Engineering and Technology Education is a partnership of four land grant research universities (Utah State University, the University of Minnesota, the University of Illinois and the University of Georgia), five technology … Wikipedia
Information and Communication Technology (education) — In the United Kingdom, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is a subject in education, and a part of the National Curriculum. Other countries, such as the Philippines, also have ICT as an educational subject. In South Australia, ICT is… … Wikipedia
Advanced Technology & Education Park — Infobox University name = Advanced Technology Education Park native name = latin name = motto = established =2007 type =Public, Community College endowment = staff = faculty = president =Glenn R. Roquemore, Irvine Valley College provost =… … Wikipedia
Career and Technology Education Centers of Licking County — The Career and Technology Education Centers (CTEC) is a public school thats main focus is on preparing high school student for future careers. It also has an Adult education center located in the building. Programs The following is a list of… … Wikipedia
(the) Business and Technology Education Council — the Business and Technology Education Council [the Business and Technology Education Council] ; » ↑BTEC … Useful english dictionary
Institute of Industrial Arts Technology Education — This is the professional association for New South Wales (NSW) Industrial Arts educators.External links * [http://www.iiate.asn.au/index.php Institute of Industrial Arts Technology Education] … Wikipedia
Business and Technology Education Council — ➡ BTEC. * * * … Universalium
Business and Technology Education Council — BTEC See vocational training … Big dictionary of business and management