- Frank Land
Frank F Land
FBCSis an information systemsresearcher and was the first UK Professor of Information Systems. He is currently emeritus professorin the Department of Information Systems at the London School of Economics(LSE).
After graduating in
Economicsfrom the LSE in 1950, Land joined the London food and catering enterprise J. Lyons, working on the first electronic computer designed for business use, the LEO I.
In 1967 Land was selected for a newly established post in what later became the Department of Information Systems at LSE. Here he became involved with the development and definition of the subject and its curriculum. He chaired working parties for the
British Computer Society, the National Computing Centreand the Council for National Academic Awardsconcerned with curriculum development. He worked with an international group to establish the International Federation for Information Processing's (IFIP) curriculum for information systems designers. At the LSE he set up the ADMIS (Analysis, Design and Management of Information Systems) Masters course and developed a Ph.D. program.
In 1982 Land was appointed as the UK's first professor of Information Systems. In 1986 he moved to the
London Business Schoolas Professor of Information Management. He has served as Visiting Professor at the University of Pennsylvania(the Wharton School), Sydney University, Bond University, Curtin University, and the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad(IIMA).
He has been awarded an honorary doctorate in science and the IFIP award for distinguished service. He has served as technical advisor to House of Commons
Select Committeesexamining IT in the UK.
Land retired from full time academic work in 1992 and is currently Visiting Professor of Information Management at the LSE and at
Leeds Metropolitan University. [cite web |url=http://www.aisnet.org/award/bios/land.html |title=Frank Land |accessdate=2008-01-15 |publisher=Association for Information Systems ]
In 2003 Land was jointly awarded the
Association for Information Systems' LEO Award with Dr Jack F Rockart of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, for lifetime exceptional achievement. The award recognised seminal contributions to research, theory development, and practice in Information Systems. [cite web |url=http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/pressAndInformationOffice/newsAndEvents/archives/2004/LEOAward_2003.htm |title=Professor Frank Land receives 2003 award for lifetime exceptional achievement in Information Systems |accessdate=2008-01-15 |date=2004-01-05 |work= |publisher=LSE ]
* Caminer, D.T., Aris, J.B.B., Hermon, P.M.R., Land, F.F. (1996). " [http://www.jpbowen.com/publications/thes-leo.html User-Driven Innovation: The World’s First Business Computer] ". London:
McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-009501-9.
* Land, F.F. (1996). "Systems Analysis for Business Applications", "Resurrection", Summer issue 1996.
* Land, F.F., (1997). "LEO, the First Business Computer: A Personal Experience". In Glass, R.L., editor. "In the Beginning: Recollections of Software Pioneers", pages 134–153.
IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA.
* Caminer, D.T., Aris, J.B., Hermon, P.M., Land, F.F. (1998). "LEO: The Incredible Story of the World’s First Business Computer". New York:
McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-009501-9.
* Land, Frank.,(1999). "A contingency based approach to requirements elicitation and systems development.", "Journal of Systems and Software" 40, no. 1, pp. 3-6.
* Land, Frank.,(1999). "A historical analysis of implementing IS at J. Lyons." In "Rethinking management information systems." Edited by Currie, W. L.; Galliers, R. D.
Oxford University Press, pp. 310-325, ISBN 0-198775334.
* Land, Frank.,(1999). "From IT application to organisational transformation", "Journal of Systems and Software" 40, no., pp. 183-184.
* Land, Frank; Farbey, B.; Targett, D.,(1999). "Evaluating investments in IT: Findings and a framework." In "Beyond the productivity paradox: Assessment issues." Edited by Willcocks, L. P.; Lester, S., pp. 183-215.
Wiley, ISBN 0-471986925.
* Land, Frank; Farbey, B.; Targett, D.,(1999). "IS evaluation: A process of bringing together benefits, costs and risk." In "Rethinking management information systems." Edited by Currie, W. G.; Galliers, R. D., pp. 204-228. Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-471986925.
* Land, Frank; Farbey, B.; Targett, D.,(1999). "Moving IS evaluation forward: Learning themes and research issues", "Journal of Strategic Information Systems" 8, no. 2, pp. 189-207.
* Land, Frank; Farbey, B.; Targett, D.,(1999). "The moving staircase: Problems of appraisal and evaluation in a turbulent environment", "Information Technology and People" 12, no. 3, pp. 238-242.
* Land, Frank (1999). "A Historical Analysis of Implementing IS at J. Lyons." In Currie, W.G.; Galliers, R.D., editors. "Rethinking Management Information Systems", pp. 310–325. Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-471986925.
* Land, Frank.,(2000). "Evaluation in a Sociotechnical Context." In ."Organizational and Social Perspectives on Information Technology", Edited by Baskerville, R.; Stage, J.; DeGross, J. I., pp. 115-126, Kluwer Academic, ISBN 0-792378369
* Land, Frank.,(2000). "The first business computer: A case study in user-driven innovation", "IEEE Annals of the History of Computing" 22, no. 4, pp. 16-26.
* Land, F.; Mathiassen, L.; Galliers, Robert D.; Cushman, M.; Baskerville, R.,(2001). "Collaboration between academics and practitioners using action research." Paper presented at IFIP TC8/WG8.2 Working Conference on "Realigning Research and Practice in Information Systems Development: The Social and Organizational Perspective", Boise, Idaho, 27-29 July 2001.
* Land, Frank; Mathiassen, L.; Galliers, B.; Cushman, M.; Baskerville, R.,(2001). "Collaboration between academics and practitioners using action research." In "Realigning research and practice in information systems development: The social and organizational perspective." Edited by Russo, N. L.; FitzGerald, B.; DeGross, J. I. pp. 467-470. Kluwer Academic, ISBN 0-792374207.
* Land, Frank; Clegg, C. W.; Chu, C.; Smithson, S.; et al.,(2002). "E-business Prospects: Findings from an Expert Panel."
Department of Trade and Industry.
* Land, Frank; Aris, J. B.; Mellor, A.,(2003). "LEO Conference Report", "Journal of Strategic Information Systems" 12, no. 4, pp. 253-398.
* Land, Frank.,(2004). "The darker side of knowledge management", "The Software Practitioner" 14, no. 5.
* Land, F.; Baskerville, R. L.,(2004). "Socially Self-destructing Systems." In "The Social Study of ICT: Innovation, Actors and Contexts." Edited by Avgerou, C.; Ciborra, C.; Land, F., pp. 263-285. Oxford University Press.
* Land, Frank; Damodaran, L.; Nicholls, J.; Henney, A.; et al.,(2004). "Sociotechnical explorations of e-Government in the UK - report on a scoping study led by the e-Democracy Study Team of the British Computer Society Sociotechnical Group." Paper presented at "Proceedings of 4th European E-Government Conference", Dublin, June 2004.
* Avgerou, Chrisanthi; Ciborra, C.; Land, F (eds.).,(2004). "The social study of ICT: Innovation, actors and contexts." Oxford University Press, 2004.
* Land, Frank.,(2005). "Leo II and the Model T Ford", "Resurrection" 36, pp. 17-23.
* Land, Frank; Mitleton-Kelly, E.,(2005). "Complexity and information systems." In "Management information systems." 2nd edition. 1. Edited by Davis, G.
* Land, Frank; Nolas, S-M.; Amjad, U.,(2005). "Introducing knowledge management as both desirable and undesirable processes." In "Encyclopedia on knowledge management." Edited by Schwartz, D.G. Idea Group, 2005.
* Land, Frank; Nolas, S-M.; Amjad, U.,(2005). "Theoretical and practical aspects of knowledge management: broadening the view." In "Encyclopedia on Knowledge Management." Edited by Schwartz, D.G. Idea Group, 2005.
* Land, Frank.,(2006). "Foreword." In "Thinking informatically: A new understanding of information, communications, and technology.", pp. 4-12. Edited by Bryant, A. Edwin Mellen Press, ISBN 0-773457046.
* Land, Frank.,(2006). "Leo II and the Model T Ford", "Computer Journal" 49, no. 6, pp. 650-656.
* Land, Frank; Sørensen, Carsten; Avison, D.; Bjørn-Andersen, N.; et al.,(2006). "Enid Mumford: a tribute", "Information Systems Journal" 16, no. 4, pp. 343-382.
* Land, Frank; Amjad, U.Q.; Nolas, S-M.,(2006). "The ethics of knowledge management", "International Journal of Knowledge Management" 3, no. 1, pp. 1-9.
* Land, Frank; Nolas, S-M.; Amjad, U.Q.,(2007). "Knowledge management: the darker side of KM", "Ethicomp Journal" 3, no. 1.
[cite web |url=http://firstname.lastname@example.org/publications.htm
title=Professor Frank Land - Publications |accessdate=2008-01-15 |publisher=LSE ]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Land — may refer to: The part of the Earth that is not covered by water Ecoregion Landscape Landform, physical feature comprises a geomorphological unit Land (economics), a factor of production comprising all naturally occurring resources Land law Real… … Wikipedia
Frank Ferera — (* 12. Juni 1885 in Honolulu, Königreich Hawaiʻi; † 26. Juni 1951; eigentlich Frank Ferreira II.) war der erste hawaiische Musiker, der außerhalb Hawaiis mit seinen Platten Erfolg hatte. Er gilt als einer der einflussreichsten Musiker der… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Frank Hamilton Cushing — July 22, 1857 April 10, 1900 was born in Northeastern Pennsylvania, later moving with his family to western New York. As a boy he took an interest in the Native American artifacts in the surrounding countryside and taught himself how to knap… … Wikipedia
Frank P. Lashlee — (June 30, 1937 – June 18, 2008) was a Tennessee politician and a member of the Tennessee General Assembly. He was a Democrat.Lashlee was born June 20, 1937, in Camden, Tennessee, to John W. and Mildred Jolly Lashlee,Jennifer Brooks,… … Wikipedia
Frank S. Land — Frank Sherman Land Born:June 21, 1890 in Kansas City, Missouri Died:November 8, 1959 The great founder of DeMolay Facts: Was called “The boy Preacher” in St. Louis Went to Sunday school at Fountain Park Congregational Church Sunday School At 21… … Wikipedia
Frank McDonough — (* 17. April 1957) ist ein britischer Historiker und Buchautor, dessen Forschungsschwerpunkte u. a. auf den deutsch britischen Beziehungen des 20. Jahrhunderts und der Geschichte des Dritten Reichs liegen. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Biografie 2… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Frank Vincent — (* 4. August 1939 in North Adams, Massachusetts; eigentlich Frank Vincent Gattuso) ist ein US amerikanischer Schauspieler italienischer Abstammung. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Biografie 2 Auszeichnungen 3 Sonstiges … Deutsch Wikipedia
Frank-Walter Steinmeier — Frank Walter Steinmeier, en 2011. Mandats … Wikipédia en Français
Frank Howson — Born Frank Michael Howson 1952 Melbourne, Australia Other names … Wikipedia
Frank McCourt — bei einer Lesung in Köln im September 2006 … Deutsch Wikipedia