- Pious Fund of the Californias
The Pious Fund of the Californias ("Fondo Piadoso de las Californias") was a fund, originating in 1697, to sponsor Catholic
Spanish missions in California. It later became the object of litigation between the US and Mexican governments, making legal history in The Hague.
It originated with voluntary donations made by individuals and religious bodies in Mexico to members of the
Society of Jesus, to enable them to propagate the Catholic Faith in the area then known as California. The early contributions to the fund were placed in the hands of the missionaries, the most active of whom were Juan María de Salvatierraand Francisco Eusebio Kino. The later and larger donations took the form of agreements by the donors to hold the property donated for the use of the missions, and to devote the income therefrom to that purpose. In 1717 the capital sums of practically all the donations were turned over to the Jesuits, and from that year until the expulsion of the Society of Jesus from Mexico the Pious Fund was administered by them.
In 1768, with the expulsion of all the members of the Society from Spanish territory by the
Pragmatic Sanctionof Charles III of Spain, the crown of Spain assumed the administration of the fund and retained it until Mexican independence was achieved in 1821. During this period (1768-1821) missionary work in California was divided, the territory of Upper Californiabeing confided to the Franciscans, and that of lower California to the Dominicans. Prior to the expulsion of the Jesuits, thirteen missions had been founded in Lower California, and by the year 1823 the Franciscans had established twenty-one missions in Upper California. In 1821 the newly established Government of Mexico assumed the administration of the fund and continued to administer it until 1840.
In 1836 Mexico passed an Act authorizing a petition to the
Holy Seefor the creation of a bishopricin California, and declaring that upon its creation, "the property belonging to the Pious Fund of the Californias shall be placed at the disposal of the new bishop and his successors, to be by them managed and employed for its objects, or others similar ones, always respecting the wishes of the founders". In response to this petition, Gregory XVI, in 1840, created the Californias into a dioceseand appointed Francisco Garcia Diego y Moreno(then president of the missions of the Californias) as the first bishop of the diocese. Shortly after his consecration, Mexico delivered the properties of the Pious Fund to Bishop Diego, and they were held and administered by him until 1842, when Antonio L%C3%B3pez de Santa Anna, President of Mexico, promulgated a decree repealing the above-mentioned provision of the Act of 1836, and directing that the Government should again receive charge of the fund.
The properties of the fund were surrendered under compulsion to the Mexican Government in April, 1842, and on 24 October of that year a decree was promulgated by General Santa Ana directing that the properties of the fund be sold, and the proceeds incorporated into the national treasury, and further provided that the sale should be for a sum representing the annual income of the properties capitalized at six per cent per annum. The decree provided that "the public treasuries will acknowledge a debt of six percent per annum on the total proceeds of the sale", and specially pledged the revenue from tobacco for the payment of that amount "to carry on the objects to which said fund is destined".
Controversy between the US and Mexico
There then ensued the
Mexican-American War, which was brought to an end by the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, 2 Feb., 1848. Under its terms, Upper Mexico was ceded to the United States by Mexico, and all claims of citizens of the United States against the Republic of Mexico which had theretofore accrued were discharged by the terms of the treaty. After the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (and indeed for some years before) Mexico made no payments for the benefit of the missions. The archbishop and bishops of California claimed that, as citizens of the United States, they were entitled to demand and receive from Mexico for the benefit of the missions within their diocese a proper proportion of the sums which Mexico had assumed to pay in its legislative decree of 24 October, 1842.
By a convention between the United States and Mexico, concluded 4 July, 1868, and proclaimed 1 Feb., 1869, a Mexican and American Mixed Claims Commission was created to consider and adjudge the validity of claims held by citizens of either country against the Government of the other which had arisen between the date of the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and the date of the convention creating the commission. To this commission the
prelates of Upper California, in 1869, presented their claims against Mexico for such part of twenty-one years' interest on the Pious Fund (accrued between 1848 and 1869) payable under the terms of the Santa Ana decree of 1842, as was properly apportionable to the missions of Upper California (Lower California having remained Mexican territory).
Upon the submission of this claim for decision the Mexican and American commissioners disagreed as to its proper disposition, and it was referred to the umpire of the commission, Sir Edward Thornton, then British Ambassador to Washington. On 11 Nov., 1875, the umpire rendered an award in favour of the archbishop and bishops of California. By that award the value of the funds at the time of its sale in 1842 was finally fixed at $1,435,033. The annual interest on this sum at six per cent (the rate being fixed by the decree of 1842) amounted to $86,101.98 and for the twenty-one years between 1848 and 1869 totalled $1,808,141.58. The umpire held that of this amount, one-half should equitably be held apportionable to the missions of Upper California, located in American territory, and therefore awarded to the United States for the account of the archbishop and bishops of California $904,070.79. This judgment was paid in gold by Mexico in accordance with the terms of the convention of 1868, in thirteen annual installments.
Mexico, however, then disputed its obligation to pay any interest accruing after the period covered by the award of the Mixed Claims Commission (that is, after 1869), and diplomatic negotiations were opened by the Government of the United States with the Government of Mexico, which resulted, after some years, in the signing of a protocol between the two Governments on 22 May, 1902, by which the question of Mexico's liability was submitted to the
Permanent Court of Arbitrationin The Hague. This was the first International controversy submitted to the tribunal. By the terms of the protocol, the Arbitral court was to decide first whether the liability of Mexico to make annual payments to the United States for the account of the Roman Catholic bishops of California had been rendered res judicata by the award of the Mixed Claim Commission, and second, if not, whether the claim of the United States, that Mexico was bound to continue such payments, was just.
On 14 October, 1902, the tribunal at The Hague mad an award judging that the liability of Mexico was established by the principal of "
Res judicata", and by virtue of the arbitral sentence of Sir Edward Thornton, as umpire of the Mixed Claim Commission; that in consequence the Mexican Government was bound to pay the United States, for the use of the Roman Catholic archbishop and bishops of California the sum of $1,402,682.67, in extinguishmentof the annuities which had accrued from 1869 to 1902, and was under the further obligation to pay "perpetually" an annuity of $43,050.99, in money having legal currency in Mexico.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Pious Fund of the Californias — The Pious Fund of the Californias † Catholic Encyclopedia ► The Pious Fund of the Californias (Fondo Piadoso de las Californias) The Pious Fund of the Californias had its origin, in 1697, in voluntary donations made by individuals … Catholic encyclopedia
Pious Fund of the Californias, The — • Originated in 1697 in voluntary donations made to Jesuits in Mexico for the propagation of the Faith in California Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006 … Catholic encyclopedia
The Restored Jesuits (1814-1912) — Society of Jesus, History of the (1814 1912) † Catholic Encyclopedia ► The Jesuits After the Restoration (1814 1912) Pius VII had resolved to restore the Society during his captivity in France; and after his return to Rome he did so… … Catholic encyclopedia
San Francisco — • Archdiocese established 29 July 1853 to include multiple counties in the State of California, U.S.A Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. San Francisco San Francisco … Catholic encyclopedia
Spanish missions in California — Part of the Spanish missions in the Americas series Arizona … Wikipedia
Francisco García Diego y Moreno — Styles of Francisco García Diego y Moreno Reference style The Most Reverend Spoken style Your Excellency … Wikipedia
Juan María de Salvatierra — (November 15, 1648 ndash;July 17, 1717) was a Catholic missionary to the Americas.His family was of Spanish origin, the name being written originally Salva Tierra. Born in Milan, Italy, he studied in the Jesuit college of Parma. It was there that … Wikipedia
Stephen Mallory White — Stephen Mallory White † Catholic Encyclopedia ► Stephen Mallory White American statesman; born at San Francisco, California, 19 January, 1853; died at Los Angeles, California, 21 February, 1901. His parents were William F. White and… … Catholic encyclopedia
California — • Includes history, population, education, resources, and religion Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. California California † … Catholic encyclopedia
Monterey and Los Angeles — • Comprises that part of the State of California which lies south of 37 deg. 5 min. N. lat. and covers an area of 80,000 square miles Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Monterey and Los Angeles Monterey and Los … Catholic encyclopedia