- Montgomery Street
It runs about 16 blocks from the Telegraph Hill neighborhood south through downtown, terminating at Market Street. South of Columbus Avenue, Montgomery Street runs through the heart of San Francisco's Financial District. For this reason, it is sometimes called "the Wall Street of the West". South of Market Street, the street continues as New Montgomery Street for two more blocks to terminate at Howard Street in the SOMA district.
In the 1830s, the land which is now Montgomery Street lay at the edge of San Francisco Bay. Intense land speculation during the Gold Rush created a demand for more usable land in the rapidly growing city, and sandy bluffs near the waterfront were leveled and the shallows filled with sand (and the ruins of many ships) to make new building lots. Between 1849 and 1852, the waterfront advanced about four blocks. At present, Montgomery Street is about seven blocks from the water.
The corner of Montgomery and Clay is where John B. Montgomery landed when he came to hoist the U.S. flag after the Bear Flag Revolt of 1846. In 1853 the Montgomery Block, a center of early San Francisco law and literature, was built at 600 Montgomery, on land currently occupied by the Transamerica Pyramid.
Many banks and financial-services companies have had offices in the buildings on or near Montgomery Street, especially between Market Street and Sacramento Street:
- The world headquarters of Wells Fargo are at 420 Montgomery.
- 555 California Street, between Kearny and Montgomery, served as Bank of America's world headquarters prior to its merger with NationsBank and was (from 1969 to 2005) officially called the Bank of America Building.
- The Transamerica Pyramid (600 Montgomery, at Columbus Avenue) was the headquarters of Transamerica Corporation and still appears in the company's logo.
- ^ "F-Market & Wharves Streetcar Line - Market Street Railway". http://www.streetcar.org/f-line.html. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- ^ Prentice, Carol S. (2006). "Walk 3:Montgomery Street to Jackson Square". 1906 San Francisco earthquake centennial field guides. Geological Society of America. p. 17. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CwchZE54dWYC&lpg=PA17&ots=5-QLS8FuZY&dq=montgomery%20street%20%22wall%20street%20of%20the%20west%22&pg=PA17#v=onepage&q=montgomery%20street%20%22wall%20street%20of%20the%20west%22&f=false. Retrieved 31 July 2010.
- ^ "San Francisco - Before the Gold Rush - 1847". http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist1/early.html. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- ^ a b "Office of Historic Preservation: San Francisco". http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21482. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- ^ "EDGAR Online: Wells Fargo & Co/MN (WFC) - 8-K - 7/27/2010". http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/displayfilinginfo.aspx?FilingID=7376060-1063-6229&type=sect&dcn=0001193125-10-167482. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- ^ "555 California St., San Francisco, CA". http://www.emporis.com/application/?nav=building&lng=3&id=118721. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- ^ "Transamerica Pyramid". http://www.emporis.com/application/?nav=building&lng=3&id=118715. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- ^ "BART - Montgomery St.". http://www.bart.gov/stations/mont/index.aspx. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
Streets in San Francisco Numbered streets North-south streets East-west streets Diagonal streets Alleyways see also: San Francisco street toponymy
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Montgomery Street — 37°47′43″N 122°24′11″O / 37.79528, 122.40306 Montgomery Street est une rue de San Franc … Wikipédia en Français
Montgomery Street — В Сан Франциско центром финансового района является Монтгомери стрит. Этот район находится в трех кварталах от центральной площади Юнион сквер. Здесь сосредоточено большинство контор и банков города … Словарь топонимов США
Montgomery Street-Columbus Circle Historic District — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. Historic district … Wikipedia
Montgomery Street (disambiguation) — Montgomery Street may refer to: Montgomery Street in the heart of the Financial District, San Francisco, and home to Montgomery Street Station Montgomery Street (Baltimore), home to Little Montgomery Street Historic District Montgomery Street in… … Wikipedia
Montgomery Street School — U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
Montgomery Street Station — For other similarly named stations, see Montgomery station (disambiguation). Montgomery Street Rapid transit (BART) Light rail (Muni) Mont … Wikipedia
44 Montgomery Street — Infobox Skyscraper building name = 44 Montgomery Street caption = 44 Montgomery Street (left), overshadowing the neighboring Hobart Building. antenna spire = location = 44 Montgomery Street San Francisco status = Completed use = Office roof =… … Wikipedia
Julia Montgomery Street — was born in Concord, North Carolina, in 1898, and was raised in Apex and Raleigh. She graduated from Woman s College, now the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, in 1923 with a degree in English. She went on to complete graduate studies… … Wikipedia
120 Montgomery Street — is an office tower located in San Francisco s Financial District, near the Montgomery Street BART station. The tower, completed in 1955, was originally home to the Equitable Life Insurance headquarters. The building stands 108 m (354 ft) tall,… … Wikipedia
Montgomery-Grand-Liberty Streets Historic District — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. Historic district … Wikipedia