- Martha Tilston
Martha Tilston Origin Brighton, East Sussex Genres Folk Years active 2000-present Labels Squiggly, Other Tongues Associated acts Mouse
Martha Tilston and the Woods
Website Martha Tilston Official Website Members Martha Tilston
Martha Tilston (born 1975 or 1976) is an English folk-based singer-songwriter.
Martha Tilston is the daughter of singer-songwriter Steve Tilston and stepdaughter of Irish folk performer Maggie Boyle. Trained as an artist and dramatist, she began her musical career in 2000 as an active presence in Britain's alternative festival scene, particularly as part of the traveling troupe called "The Small World Solar Stage". She formed the duo Mouse with guitarist Nick Marshall, releasing two albums, "Helicopter Trees" (2000) and Mouse Tales (2001) and touring as a supporting act with Damien Rice. Her first solo album "Rolling" was issued in 2002 on her own label, Squiggly, followed by Bimbling in 2004.
Her next album Ropeswing (2005) featured an expanded group of backing musicians named The Woods, and was available as a free download. It contains her two most politically-explicit songs, "Artificial", which speaks of the deadliness of office life, and "Corporations" which is a critique of corporate rule and the corporate-education complex. She has also appeared on several compilations, including her song "The Saddest Game" about child soldiers in Africa, on The Big Issue's "Peace Not War" CD. Her song "Good World" is among several that she has written and performed on environmental subjects. However, much of her work is not political, focusing instead on personal freedom, love, inner peace and the natural world. Songs such as "Simple" on Ropeswing, "By the Lake" on Mouse Tales, and "Firefly" on Bimbling are examples of these.
Throughout her career she has played regularly throughout Britain, ranging from unaccompanied solo gigs to larger concerts with up to 6-piece backing band The Woods. She also toured Australia in spring 2008. Following a maternity break she resumed playing live in April 2009, appearing on the fourth Zero7 studio album Yeah Ghost.
Her third solo album Lucy and the Wolves was released in April 2010.
- 2000 Mouse: Helicopter Trees (with Nick Marshall)
- 2001 Mouse: Mouse Tales (with Nick Marshall)
- 2003 Rolling
- 2005 Bimbling
- 2006 Ropeswing (credited to Martha Tilston and The Woods)
- 2007 Of Milkmaids and Architects
- 2008 Till I Reach the Sea (compilation EP)
- 2010 Lucy and the Wolves
- ^ Kirstie May (25 July 2010). "Martha Tilston". Morning Star. http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/index.php/news/content/view/full/93209. Retrieved 13 June 2011. "At 34, Tilston …"
- ^ Small World Solar Stage  accessed 18 February 2008
- ^ Biographical details found at Irwin, Colin  Martha Tilston Biography at allmusic.com, accessed 18 February 2008; Irwin, Colin, interview in fRoots Magazine #297, March, 2008; Tilston, Martha  official website
- ^ Peace Not War  accessed 18 February 2008
- ^ Friends of the Earth UK  Interview, accessed 18 February 2008
- ^ Peter Culshaw Martha Tilston: The folk singer who's come in from the cold The Guardian, 21 January 2007. Accessed 18 February 2008.
- Official Martha Tilston website
- Official Wupadupa Music Collective website
- Squiggly Records website
- Small World Solar Stage website
- Biography from Pond Life Studios, which distributes Ropeswing
- Biography from Woven Wheat Whispers, which distributes Ropeswing
- Nominees for 2007 BBC 2 Folk Awards
- Myspace site for Martha's Australian label, THINK
- Biography by Colin Irwin at Allmusic.com
- Review from The Argus
- Peter Culshaw, Martha Tilston: The folk singer who's come in from the cold, The Guardian, 21 January 2007. Accessed 18 February 2008.
- Review of Of Milkmaids and Architects by David Kidman
- Review from BBC Norfolk
- Short Interview from Friends of the Earth
- Interview with Colin Irwin of fRoots Magazine (subscription) No. 297, March 2008
- Martha Tilston on Folk Radio UK
- (Artist's newsletter, January 6, 2010)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Steve Tilston — (born 6th March, 1950) is an English singer songwriter. Early years Steve Tilston was born in Liverpool and raised in Leicestershire. Tilston was a graphic designer before taking up music in 1971. In the early eighties he ran a folk club with… … Wikipedia
Jon Thorne — (born 12 February 1967 in Bishop s Stortford, Hertfordshire) is an English double bassist.Born in Bishop s Stortford, Hertfordshire he lived in Zimbabwe from the age of 6 to 11 and is now based in Whalley Range, Manchester. He started playing in… … Wikipedia
Legacy (band) — Legacy Was the original name of the bay area thrash metal band what is now Testament with Exodus s lead singer.Legacy was formed in 1997 on the south coast of England near the town of Chichester.The critical members were: Mal Simms (vocals,… … Wikipedia
Hush The Many — Infobox musical artist Name = Hush The Many Img capt = Nima of Hush the Many at the 100 Club 7th November 2007 Background = group or band Origin = London, England Genre = Twisted Folk Years active = 2004 ndash; 2008 Label = Alcopop! Associated… … Wikipedia
Zero 7 — en una presentación junto a Sia Furler Datos generales Origen … Wikipedia Español
Zero 7 — Zero 7 … Википедия
Destiny (Zero 7 song) — Destiny Single by Zero 7 from the album Simple Things Released 6 August … Wikipedia
Rounder Records — Fondé en 1970 Fondateur Ken Irwin, Bill Nowlin et Marian Leighton Levy. Statut Indépendant Maison de disques Concord Music Group … Wikipédia en Français
St Michael's Church, Shotwick — St Michael s Church, Shotwick, from the southeast … Wikipedia