- Burnley Mechanics
Burnley Mechanics City Burnley Designation Listed building Grade II* Architect James Green (1854–55)
William Waddington (1888)
Opened 1855 www.burnleymechanics.co.uk/
The Burnley Mechanics is a theatre and former Mechanics' Institute in the market town of Burnley, Lancashire, England. It was built 1854–55 and converted to a theatre in 1979. English Heritage has designated the theatre a Grade II* listed building.
The Mechanics' Institute was built 1854–55 to a design by Todmorden architect James Green. Sir Charles Towneley opened the institute in 1855. It was a club for "reading and discussion by an 'earnest few'". As the town grew, the institute increasingly became a social and cultural community centre. Architect William Waddingtone enlarged the building in 1888. Burnley Borough Council bought the building in 1959 and leased it to companies for a variety of leisure purposes. In 1979, the interior was reconstructed as a theatre.
Burnley Mechanics was designated a Grade II* listed building by English Heritage on 29 September 1977. The Grade II* designation—the second highest of the three grades—is for "particularly important buildings of more than special interest". It is described by Hartwell and Pevsner as "one of Burnley's best buildings". John Champness calls its façade "certainly the finest Classical façade in Burnley and among the very best of its date in the country".
Bunley Mechanics is built in the Palazzo style in sandstone ashlar. Green's original construction is on a rectangular plan with five bays at the front; it is on two storeys. The ground floor has Venetian-style windows with round, rusticated arches. Waddington's extension at the rear of the building is on a slightly lower level. Its design matches that of the rest of the building, but the newer windows have architraves with pilasters.
- Listed buildings in Lancashire
- ^ a b c "Burnley Mechanics — Outline", www.burnley.gov.uk (Burnley Borough Council), http://www.burnley.gov.uk/site/scripts/services_info.php?serviceID=690, retrieved 13 June 2011
- ^ Tylecote, pp. 112–113
- ^ a b c d e f "Burnley Mechanics", National Heritage List for England (English Heritage), http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1244905, retrieved 13 June 2011
- ^ a b c d e f g Hartwell & Pevsner, pp. 180–181
- ^ "Listed Buildings", National Heritage List for England (English Heritage), http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/caring/listing/listed-buildings/, retrieved 13 June 2011
- ^ Champness, p. 134
- Champness, John (1989), Lancashire's Architectural Heritage: An Anthology of Fine Buildings, Lancashire County Planning Dept., ISBN 0902228714
- Hartwell, Clare; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2009) , Lancashire: North, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, ISBN 0300126670
- Tylecote, Mabel Phythian (1957), The Mechanics' Institutes of Lancashire & Yorkshire Before 1851, Manchester University Press, OCLC 458433074
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Burnley — For the larger local government district, see Burnley (borough). For other meanings see Burnley (disambiguation) Coordinates: 53°47′20″N 2°14′53″W / … Wikipedia
Mechanics' Institutes — The Leeds City Mechanics Institutes Buildings Historically, Mechanics Institutes were educational establishments formed to provide adult education, particularly in technical subjects, to working men. As such, they were often funded by local… … Wikipedia
Cultureshock at the 2002 Commonwealth Games — Cultureshock was the 2002 Commonwealth Games Cultural Programme which ran alongside the Games themselves. The events ranged from images of the athlete as hero in sculpture and photography (Go! Freeze, which ran at Turton Tower in Bolton to a Zulu … Wikipedia
Mitchell and Kenyon — The Mitchell Kenyon film company was a pioneer of early commercial movies based in Blackburn in Lancashire, England at the start of the 20th century. They were originally best known for minor contributions to early fictional narrative film and… … Wikipedia
Мики Муди — Имя при рождении Майкл Джозеф Муди Дата рождения 30 августа 1950 (58 лет)(19500830) Место рождения М … Википедия
Микки Муди — Мики Муди Имя при рождении Майкл Джозеф Муди Дата рождения 30 августа 1950 (58 лет)(19500830) Место рождения М … Википедия
Муди Мики — Мики Муди Имя при рождении Майкл Джозеф Муди Дата рождения 30 августа 1950 (58 лет)(19500830) Место рождения М … Википедия
Valley Parade — Full name Coral Windows Stadium Location Bradford, West Yorkshire, England … Wikipedia
University of Manchester — The University of Manchester Arms of the University of Manchester. The Manchester bee is the main symbol of Manchester. Motto Latin: Cognitio, sapientia, humanitas Motto in English Knowledge, Wisdom, Humanity … Wikipedia
Earthquake — For other uses, see Earthquake (disambiguation). Global earthquake epicenters, 1963–1998 … Wikipedia