- Moonflower (album)
Moonflower Studio album partially live by Santana Released October 1977 Recorded December 1976 (live tracks / Europe)
1977 (studio tracks / San Francisco)
Genre Latin rock Length 86:50 Label Columbia Producer Carlos Santana, Tom Coster Santana chronology Festival
Singles from Moonflower
- "She's Not There"
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Robert Christgau (B+) Rolling Stone (not rated)
Moonflower is a 1977 studio and live double album by Santana. The recording features both studio and live tracks, which are interspersed with one another throughout the album. It is perhaps the group's most popular live album, because Lotus did not receive a U.S. domestic release until the early 1990s. It displays a mix between the fusion of Latin and blues-rock styles of the late 1960s and early 1970s, and the much more experimental and spiritual jazz fusion sound that characterized the band's mid-1970s work. The live material was recorded during the supporting tour for the Festival album, which displayed a similar mix of styles, and many of the album's songs are featured here – namely, the three song medley which opens Festival.
A cover version of the Zombies' mid-1960s hit song "She's Not There" was released as a single and peaked at #27. The song was the first Santana recording to hit the Top 40 of the Billboard charts since "No One to Depend On" reached #36 in 1972. The album reached #10 on the Billboard charts and was eventually certified platinum, neither of which occurred again until the star-studded Supernatural in 1999.
- "Dawn/Go Within" (Coster, Santana) – 2:44 (studio)
- "Carnaval" (Coster) – 2:17 (live)
- "Let the Children Play" (Santana) – 2:37 (live)
- "Jugando" (Santana) – 2:09 (live)
- "I'll Be Waiting" (Santana) – 5:20 (studio) (also issued on single)
- "Zulu" (Santana, Coster) – 3:25 (studio)
- "Bahia" (Santana, Coster) – 1:37 (studio)
- "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen" (Green, Szabo) – 6:32 (live)
- "Dance Sister Dance (Baila Mi Hermana)" (Chancler, Coster, Rubinson) – 7:45 (live)
- "Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile)" (Santana, Coster) – 6:07 (live)
- "She's Not There" (Argent) – 4:09 (studio) (also issued on single)
- "Flor d'Luna (Moonflower)" (Coster) – 5:01 (studio)
- "Soul Sacrifice/Head, Hands & Feet" (Santana Band, Lear) – 14:01 (live)
- "El Morocco" (Coster, Santana) – 5:05 (studio)
- "Transcendence" (Santana) – 5:13 (studio)
- "Savor/Toussaint L'Overture" (Santana Band, Santana) – 12:56 (live)
Bonus tracks on 2003 reissue
- "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen" (single edit) (Green) – 2:37
- "I'll Be Waiting" (single edit) (Santana) – 3:12 (studio)
- "She's Not There" (single edit) (Argent) – 3:19 (studio)
- Carlos Santana: Guitar, Vocals, Percussion
- Greg Walker: Vocals
- Tom Coster: Keyboards
- Pablo Tellez: Bass, Vocals (live tracks)
- David Margen: Bass (studio tracks)
- Graham Lear: Drums
- Raul Rekow: Percussion
- José "Chepito" Areas: Percussion (live tracks)
- Pete Escovedo: Percussion (studio tracks)
- ^ Ruhlmann, William (2011 [last update]). "Moonflower - Santana | AllMusic". allmusic.com. http://www.allmusic.com/album/moonflower-r48673. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- ^ Christgau, Robert (2011 [last update]). "Robert Christgau: Album: Santana: Moonflower". robertchristgau.com. http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_album.php?id=7721. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- ^ Swenson, John (2011 [last update]). "Santana: Moonflower : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone". web.archive.org. http://web.archive.org/web/20090211183642/http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/santana/albums/album/217345/review/5941473/moonflower. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "She's Not There"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Moonflower (album) — Moonflower Album par Santana Sortie octobre 1977 Enregistrement 1976 1977 Durée 86:50 Genre Rock Producteur Carlos Santana, Tom Coster … Wikipédia en Français
Moonflower — may refer to: Plants A common name for several night blooming plants, some with white flowers, including: Nightblooming cereus species, including Hylocereus. Datura species, including D. inoxia Ipomoea species previously separated in Calonyction … Wikipedia
Moonflower Lane — Studio album by Ty Tabor Released 1998 Genre Rock … Wikipedia
Firefly (TNT album) — Infobox Album | Name = Firefly Type = Album Artist = TNT Released = 1997 Recorded = StudioStudio, Norway Genre = Hard rock, Alternative metal Length = 51:26 Label = Norske Gram Producer = TNT Reviews = Last album = Till Next Time (1996) This… … Wikipedia
Festival (album) — Festival Album par Carlos Santana et son groupe Sortie janvier 1977 Enregistrement 1976 Durée 45:32 Genre rock Producteur David Rubinson Friends, Inc … Wikipédia en Français
Abraxas (album) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Abraxas. Abraxas Album par Santana Sortie septembre 1970 Enregistrement 17 avril … Wikipédia en Français
Supernatural (album) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Supernatural. Supernatural Album par Santana Sortie 15 Juin 1999 Enregistrement 1998 1999 Durée … Wikipédia en Français
Caravanserai (album) — Caravanserai Album par Santana Sortie 11 octobre 1972 Enregistrement Février Mai 1972 Durée 51 : 21 Genre Rock Jazz fusion … Wikipédia en Français
Milagro (Santana album) — Milagro Studio album by Santana Released May 1992 Genre … Wikipedia
Welcome (album) — Welcome Album par Santana Sortie Novembre 1973 Enregistrement 1973 Durée 51 : 21 Genre Rock Jazz fusion Producteur … Wikipédia en Français