- New Young Pony Club
New Young Pony Club Also known as NYPC Origin London, England Genres New Wave, new rave, electropop, synthpop, dance-punk, post-punk revival, indie rock Years active 2004–present Labels Island, Modular, The Numbers Website newyoungponyclub.com Members Tahita Bulmer
Past members Igor Volk
New Young Pony Club are influenced by many different bands and acts, and try not to risk becoming too close to the sound of any one other band. Their own take on their music is "We marry the dance ethic with the pop ethic, and make something that you can dance to and sing along to".
Forming and signing
Mutual friends introduced now London-based vocalist Tahita Bulmer and producer Andy Spence, who shared a love of punk rock and dance music. The founding pair began writing together, originally only for Bulmer to perform. Spence later assumed a larger role when they decided to form a proper band, so the duo recruited the single-monikered Lou (keyboards), Igor Volk (bass), and Sarah Jones (drums). The band formed in 2005, and released two limited edition 7" singles ("The Get Go" and "Ice Cream") on indie label Tirk Recordings  before being discovered by more established Australian label Modular Recordings, and signing a worldwide deal.
The band's name came from lead singer Bulmer's desire to be a part of a club or team at school. Her original idea for the band name was the more concise "Pony Club", which she describes as "quirky and kinky and fun". A pre-existing Irish band had already claimed the name, and the prefix "New Young" was added to reflect that the band are "a newer, younger and kinkier Pony Club".
The band has enjoyed success in their early years. Their highest chart placing for a first release was number 47 for second official single "The Bomb", though a re-release of "Ice Cream" reached number 40. They put their lack of chart success down to not having the "desire to make really radio friendly singles", but also claim that they "don't want to be the biggest band in the world". New Young Pony Club have been successful in Australia, the home of their label, where they have received airplay on radio station Triple J.
The band's song "Ice Cream" got very wide play in 2009 as a 30 second soundtrack for the TV and Internet advertisement for the Cube Mobile Device from the Nissan car company.
The band's debut album, Fantastic Playroom, was released on Modular Recordings on 9 July 2007 in the UK and 28 August in the U.S. Although the band had an album's worth of material, they decided to create an entirely new album.
Since its release, Fantastic Playroom has received generally positive reviews from the music press in Britain. Mixmag awarded it Album of the Month in its July issue. On 17 July Fantastic Playroom was shortlisted for the 2007 Mercury Prize.
The new album The Optimist was released in the UK on 8 March 2010.
According to the We Smoke Fags final MySpace blog posting, their bassist Lee has joined New Young Pony Club after We Smoke Fags have decided to go on an indefinite hiatus 
Lee has since been replaced on bass by Remy Mallet who previously played with Josh Weller amongst others.
The band toured extensively in 2006 and 2007. A support tour with Lily Allen was followed by a place on the 2007 NME Indie Rave Tour along with CSS, The Sunshine Underground and Klaxons. The band went on to their first headline tour to promote their debut album, Fantastic Playroom. The sold-out tour launched on 25 May 2007 at the Gloucester Guildhall, and concluded at Winter Gardens in Eastbourne on 9 June 2007. The band continued to play festivals throughout 2007. The band brought in the 2008 New Year at the Rhythm & Vines festival in Gisborne, New Zealand.
2010 has seen NYPC tour even more extensively around the world taking in new territories such as Croatia, Slovenia and Bosnia as well as revisiting Australia and mainland Europe. They also featured on several UK festival lineups including Reading and Leeds, Underage, Wireless, Bestival and Lovebox. In October the band headlined the Rocking the Daisies and Rocking the Gardens festivals in South Africa.
In 2011 New Young Pony Club are supporting Katy Perry on her California Dreams Tour in continental Europe.
- Tahita Bulmer – vocals
- Andy Spence – guitar
- Lou Hayter – keyboards
- Sarah Jones – drums
- Remy Mallet – bass
- Fantastic Playroom (2007)
- The Optimist (2010)
- New Young Pony Club (2006)
- "Ice Cream" (February 2005)
- "The Get Go" (27 June 2005)
- "Get Lucky" (20 March 2006)
- "Ice Cream" (18 September 2006) (first re-release)
- "The Bomb" (19 March 2007) – UK #47
- "Ice Cream" (2 July 2007) (second re-release) – UK #40
- "Get Lucky" (29 October 2007) (re-release)
- "Chaos" (28 February 2010)
- "We Want To" (30 May 2010)
- "The Mirror Man" (New Young Pony Club Remix) – Spektrum (2006)
- "Tears Dry on Their Own" (NYPC's Fucked Mix) – Amy Winehouse (2007)
- "Jealous Girls" (New Young Pony Club Remix) – Gossip (2007)
- "Leave It Alone" (New Young Pony Club Remix) – Operator Please (2007)
- "Marlon J.D." (NYPC's The Wire Up Mix) – Manic Street Preachers (2009)
- ^ "Play Louder Interview". http://playlouder.com/feature/+class-of-2007-ne/. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- ^ a b "My Brum Interview". http://www.mybrum.co.uk/birmingham/fe-music_interview-new-young-pony-club.htm. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- ^ "Wessex Scene Interview". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. http://web.archive.org/web/20070927000122/http://www.wessexscene.co.uk/article.php?sid=1871. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- ^ "Spin Article". http://www.spin.com/features/band_of_the_day/2006/12/061215_newyoungponyclub/. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- ^ "Band of the Day profile". http://www.bandoftheday.com/cards/451-NewYoungPonyClub.swf. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- ^ "Tirk Recordings Discography". Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. http://web.archive.org/web/20070928221157/http://www.tirk-recordings.com/discography.htm. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- ^ "Peta2.com/uk interview". http://www.peta2.com/uk/uk-nypc.asp. Retrieved 2006-11-17.
- ^ a b "I Like Music Interview". http://www.ilikemusic.com/interviews/New_Young_Pony_Club_Tahita_Bulmer_interview-3675. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- ^ "Play.com Predorder Information". http://www.play.com/Music/CD/6-/Search.html?searchstring=new+young+pony+club&searchtype=cdartisttitle&searchsource=0. Retrieved 2007-06-11.
- ^ "We Smoke Fags Myspace Blog Entry". http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=36568667&blogId=494282245. Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- ^ "New Young Pony Club website". http://www.nypc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/nypc/tourdates.htm).. Retrieved 2007-06-12. [dead link]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
New Young Pony Club — Datos generales Origen Londres, Inglaterra Estado … Wikipedia Español
New Young Pony Club — est un groupe de rock indépendant/new wave formé à Londres. Le nom du groupe, selon la chanteuse et leader du groupe Tahita Bulmer, vient d un groupe irlandais Pony Club . Le New Young Pony Club signe chez le label Modular Records. Ils font… … Wikipédia en Français
New Young Pony Club — Tahita Bulmer 2007 in Paris New Young Pony Club ist eine 2004 gegründete Londoner Band, die Indie Rock mit tanzbarem Electropop verbindet. Die Band besteht aus den fünf Mitgliedern Tahita Bulmer (Gesang), Andy Spence (Gitarre), Lou Hayter… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Pony Club Association of New South Wales — Young members of pony clubs at a gymkhana in New South Wales. The Pony Club Association of New South Wales is the controlling body for Pony Clubs in New South Wales (NSW) where young people can ride and learn all disciplines of equestrian sports … Wikipedia
Pony Club Australia — is an association which teaches young people to ride horses through over 850 member clubs.Related organizations also exist in including New Zealand, the United States Of America, Canada and Australia, In Australia, there are over 850 clubs… … Wikipedia
Pony Club Secrets — is a series of intermediate reader children s books published by HarperCollins in the UK. The series was created by author and journalist Stacy Gregg, and is loosely based on her experiences as young rider growing up in New Zealand. It blends… … Wikipedia
Pony Club Association of Victoria — Monash Pony Club, located in Melbourne, Australia The Pony Club Association of Victoria, commonly abbreviated as PCAV, is the controlling body for Pony Clubs in Victoria where young people can ride and learn all disciplines of equestrian sports.… … Wikipedia
New York Noise — Genre Indie rock Music Television Format Music Video Series Created by Shirley Braha … Wikipedia
New rave — Stylistic origins Post punk revival Dance punk Indie rock Electronic rock Breakbeat hardcore Bastard pop Experimental Hip house New Wave Typical instruments guitar, bass, drums … Wikipedia
New Rave — (sometimes labelled Nu Rave or Neu Rave) is a term applied to several types of music that go from fusing elements of electronic, rock, indie, to techno, hip house, electro, breakbeat. [ [http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1922523,00.ht… … Wikipedia