- Council of the Republic of Belarus
Council of the Republic of Belarus
Type Type Upper house Leadership Speaker Anatoli Rubinov
since 24 May 2010
Members 64 Elections Last election 31 October 2008 Meeting place The House of Government, Minsk Website Official Web-site Belarus
This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
- Prime Minister
- National Assembly
- Council of the Republic
- House of Representatives
- All Belarusian People's Assembly
- Foreign relations
- Administrative divisions
- Political parties
Any Bill must be initially considered in the House of Representatives and then in the Council of the Republic. Bills adopted by the House of Representatives shall be sent to the Council of the Republic for consideration within five days, where they shall be considered within no more than twenty days.
Special powers that accorded only to the Council of the Republic are:
- Approve the nomination by the President of chairman of the Constitutional Court
- Approve the nomination by the President of chairman and judges of the Supreme Court
- Approve the nomination by the President of Chairman and judges of the Supreme Economic Court
- Approve the nomination by the President of chairman of the Central Commission of Belarus on Elections and National Referendums
- Approve the nomination by the President of the Prosecutor General
- Approve the nomination by the President of chairman and members of the Board of the National Bank
- Elect six judges of the Constitutional Court
- Elect six members of the Central Commission of Belarus on Elections and National Referendums.
- Annul decisions of local Soviets of Deputies (parliaments) that are at variance with the country’s legislation
- Decide on dissolution of a local Soviet of Deputies in case it regularly or seriously violates the country’s laws and in other cases envisaged by law
- Consider decrees of the President on declaring the state of emergency, martial law, complete or partial mobilization, and within a maximum of three days after the decrees have been submitted take an appropriate decision.
Decisions taken by the Council of the Republic in the form of Orders (Russian: постановлений). Orders shall be made on the condition that they voted for the majority of the whole Chamber, unless otherwise provided in the Belarusian Constitution.
The procedure of forming the Council of the Republic combines elements of election and appointment. Eight members of the Council of the Republic are appointed by the President of Belarus and the remaining members are elected by secret vote: eight members of the Council of the Republic are elected from each of the country's region and Minsk City at sessions of local Soviets of Deputies of the basic level. A citizen of Belarus aged 30 and more, who has lived on the territory of the respective region or Minsk City for at least five years may be a member of the Council of the Republic.
The Presidium of the Council of the Republic is a permanently operating body of the Council of the Republic. The Presidium of the Council of the Republic comprises the Speaker of the Council of the Republic (head of the Presidium), his/her deputy and the chairpersons of the Standing Committees.
Speakers of the Council of the Republic
- Pavel Shipuk January 13, 1997–December 19, 2000
- Alyaksandr Vaytovich December 19, 2000–July 28, 2003
- Henadz Navitski July 28, 2003–October 31, 2008
- Boris Batura October 31, 2008–May 20, 2010
- Anatoli Rubinov May 24, 2010–Present
Members of the Council of the Republic enjoy parliamentary immunity when making statements or exercising their mandate except for cases when their statements are slanderous or insulting. During the whole term of their office members of the Council of the Republic may be arrested or otherwise deprived of their personal liberty only upon a prior consent of their chamber, except for cases when they commit high treason or other grave crime, or if they are caught flagrante delicto. A criminal case in relation to a member of the Council of the Republic may be initiated only by the Prosecutor General of Belarus and considered by the Supreme Court of Belarus.
- List of Speakers of the Council of the Republic of Belarus
- "Official website of the Council of the Republic of Belarus". http://www.sovrep.gov.by/index_eng.php/.466....1.0.0.html. Retrieved 2010-03-30.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Council of the Republic — may refer to: Council of the Republic of the Soviet Union Council of the Republic of Belarus Council (Soviet) of the Republic of Russia Council of the Republic of France, the name for the Senate of France during the French Fourth Republic This… … Wikipedia
Council of the Nation — Algeria This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Algeria Constitution President (List … Wikipedia
Legal system of the Republic of Turkey — Republic of Turkey This article is part of the series: Politics and government of the Republic of Turkey … Wikipedia
Foreign relations of the Republic of Macedonia — Republic of Macedonia This article is part of the series: Politics and government of the Republic of Macedonia Constit … Wikipedia
National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Korea — The National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Korea, is the senior national organization of distinguished Korean scientists and scholars. It was founded to promote learning and research in all areas of sciences by conferring membership and… … Wikipedia
Foreign relations of the Republic of China — Building of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs in Taipei The Republic of China (ROC), commonly known as Taiwan, is recognized by 23 sovereign states. The course of the foreign relations of the ROC is dominated by maintaining diplomatic relations… … Wikipedia
Assembly of the Republic of Albania — Parliament of Albania Kuvendi i Shqipërisë Legislature XVIII Type Type … Wikipedia
National Council of the Slovak Republic — Type Type Unicameral Leadership Speaker Pavol Hrusovsky, Christian Democratic Movement since 13 October 2011 … Wikipedia
NUTS 3 statistical regions of the Republic of Ireland — Map of Ireland showing regions There are eight regions at NUTS III level in Ireland which came into existence in 1994, under the terms of the Local Government Act 1991. The geographical remit of each region is currently defined by combining the… … Wikipedia
Anthem of the Republic of Adygea — Адыге Республикэм и Гимн National anthem of Republic of Adygea Lyrics Iskhak Shumafovich Mashbash Music Umar Khatsitsovich Tkhabisimov Adopted 1992 The Anthem of the Republic of Adygea, a … Wikipedia