- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
National Institute of Technology Rourkela Established 1961 Type Public, Institute of National Importance Director Prof. Sunil Kumar Sarangi Location Rourkela, Orissa, India Campus Urban, Spread over 4.62 km²(1142 acre) beyond Sector-1, Rourkela Steel City Acronym NITR, NITRKL Website www.nitrkl.ac.in
National Institute of Technology – Rourkela (NIT) (Hindi: राष्ट्रीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान, राउरकेला), formerly known as the Regional Engineering College Rourkela (REC Rourkela), is a publicly funded institute of higher learning for engineering and technology located in the steel city of Rourkela, Orissa, India. It was established in the year 1961 by a joint undertaking of the Government of India and the Government of Orissa. Today it is one of the 30 National Institutes of Technology in India and has been recognized as an Institute of National Importance vide the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007. It has consistently been ranked among the top engineering institutes in the country and the best University in the state of Orissa. 
NIT Rourkela was established in 1961 under the then Chief Minister of Orissa, Biju Patnaik and its foundation stone was laid by the then Prime Minister Of India, Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru to cater to the country's need for growing manpower skilled in the areas of technology. While being a Regional Engineering College for all the preceding years, it was granted autonomy and functional independence by the Ministry of Human Resource Development in the year 2002 thus becoming one of the National Institutes of Technology.
The institute has two collaborative funding agencies, the Material theme in the Materials and Metallurgical Engineering department under Indo-U.K. REC project and the Computer Science and Electronics streams under World Bank cum Swiss Development Corporation IMPACT project. The current Director of the institute is Prof. S.K Sarangi.
The Rourkela steel city is a medium-sized metropolis, located in the Howrah-Mumbai and Ranchi-Bhubaneswar main railway routes, and also well connected to all parts of the country by road. The population of the city is about 7 lakhs. The institute is at a distance of about 7 km from the railway station. The campus of the institute consisting of the institute buildings, halls of residence and staff colony is situated at the eastern end of Rourkela steel city, beyond Sector-1 over an area of 462 hectares of land provided by the Government of Orissa.
The closest airport to Rourkela is Ranchi at a distance of 172 kilometers.
The campus of the institute is situated at the eastern end of Rourkela steel city, beyond Sector-1 over an area of 4.62 km² (1142 Acres) of land provided by the Government of Orissa which makes it the largest engineering campus in the country after IIT Kharagpur. The courses are mostly residential on a full-time basis.
The institute area is at the centre of the campus and surrounded by the residential areas. The main building of the Institute is central to the institute area and is surrounded by the departmental buildings. It houses all the classrooms, the Central library, and the Administrative and Academic sections. It also houses departments like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Humanities. All the departments, the lecture gallery, the workshops, the institute canteen and the audio-visual hall surround the main building.
Residential accommodation is provided to all faculty, staff and students. There are nine halls of residence for the students within the campus: Six for male graduates and postgraduates, two for female students and one for married students pursuing doctorate degrees and beyond or full-time research.
The residential campus is equipped with a stadium which has been host to several national level university tournaments and is named after Dilip Tirkey, the former Indian Hockey captain who hails from this part of Orissa. There are multiple courts near the hostels for playing lawn tennis, basketball and volleyball. A swimming pool and a stadium dedicated entirely for cricket have been constructed.The estimated cost of the aquatic centre has been estimated to be 6.5 crores.The cricket ground is well equipped with floodlights and a players' dressing room. The campus has all the amenities for developing personal, social and academic skills of the student community. The institute has been alma-mater to some prominent hockey, cricket, basketball, table tennis, football and athletics talents who have taken part in various state and national level games. Indoor gaming facility like table tennis, badminton, carom are all served in the respective hostels. Each hostel also has two volleyball courts.
The Student Activity Centre (SAC) within the central academic area is the hub of all all extra academic pursuits and is the main organizing office for all student symposiums, annual events and is served by the approximately 800 seater Bhubaneshwar Behera Audio Visual Auditorium and an approximately 800 seater open air theater.
The institute is served by an on campus dispensary and the fully equipped Community Welfare Service (CWS) Hospital for medical treatments. All residential and non-residential students are insured for all medical expenses by the institute.
The student co-operative store facilitates purchase of books and stationery at reduced prices. The on campus postal service is the state owned India Post. The official on campus banker to students and the institute is the state run State Bank of India (REC Campus).
Academics / Departments
The institute offers courses leading to the degree of B.Tech in Bio-Technology, Bio-Medical, Ceramic, Civil, Chemical, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical, Electronics and Communication, Electronics and Instrumentation, Industrial Design, Mechanical, Materials and Metallurgical, Mining.
The institute also offers Post Graduate courses in Engineering & Science leading to the degree of M.Tech in various disciplines. Recently, dual degree courses on various disciplines have been introduced. NIT Rourkela also offers Master of Sciences (in Physics, Chemistry, Life Science and Applied Mathematics). These Courses provide opportunity for advanced studies and specialization in selected subjects in various fields of engineering, technology and science. The institute also provides opportunity for part-time graduate studies in selected fields and doctoral research in various subjects.
There are sixteen academic and three support departments.
Image:Nit main building2.jpg|Nit main building2
The hostels, also known as the Halls of Residence, are presently nine in number. C.V Raman Hall of Residence and the Kiran Mazumdar Shaw Hall of Residence house the lady students and S.S.Bhatnagar Hall of Residence is for married scholars, the rest of the halls, M. Visvesvaraya (hall-2) Hall, G.D. Birla Hall, D. Ambani Hall, M.S. Swaminathan Hall, H. Bhabha Hall, V. Sarabhai Hall are for unmarried boys scholars. Every hostel is well equipped with DSL connections to every rooms, common rooms with large flat-screen TVs, a dining area, reading room, a day canteen, gymnasium and a music room with state-of-the-art music instruments.
NIT Rourkela has a very vibrant campus life with as many as 40 clubs or student organizations. These clubs spans a variety of interests such as Technical, Cultural, Literary, Debating, Quizzing, Sports, Social Service, etc.
In addition to that, NIT Rourkela hosts two major annual events, INNOVISION(formerly CONFLUENCE): The Technical festival and NITRUTSAV: The Cultural festival where students from all parts the country participate.
Along with this, there are many festivals that are organized by clubs such as
- VAHAAN: A national level technical symposium which is held annually by SAE, NIT-Rourkela chapter.
- VRITTANTA: Organized by E-CELL, NIT Rourkela, Vrittanta is the entrepreneurship meet in which many students from various national level institutes participates.
Student Activity Groups
- AMME - Association of Metallurgical and Materials Engineers
- CEC – Computer Education Club (http://www.cecnitrkl.co.nr)
- CYBORG – Club for robotics and automation (http://cyborgnitr.com)
- E-CELL - Entrepreneurship cell of NIT Rourkela (http://ecell.nitrkl.ac.in)
- IEEE STUDENT CHAPTER – Club for IEEE (USA) technical activities (http://ieee.nitrkl.ac.in)
- LAMP - Web, Application development club.Our motto "Efficiency=Parallelism+Communication".
- MATHEMATICS CLUB – Mathematics Club for cultivating a healthy interest in mathematics
- MICROSOFT CLUB - Student chapter of Microsoft International at NIT Rourkela (http://microsoftclubnitr.in)
- SAE-NITR – Society of Automotive Engineers, NITR chapter
- SLS - Society for Living Systems
- TECHNOPHILES - An organisation to spread knowledge and make others aware of latest technological developments that are taking place in the world. (http://technophiles.in/)
- UDAAN – The Aero-Modelling Club of NIT Rourkela
- VORTEX - Technical club to develop CFD related activities among students
Literary, Music and Cultural Clubs
- AASRA – An Exclusive group for Social Service Work (http://www.aasranitr.org)
- BUREAUCATS - The club dedicated to spread awareness for higher studies & promote innovation in NITR.
- CHITRAANG – The club for maintaining the graffiti wall of institute
- CLARION - The literary and debating club of NIT Rourkela
- D361 – The Institute Magazine managed by the student body
- EPISTEME - A Quiz club.
- EUPHONY – The oldest musical band of NIT Rourkela
- HEARTBEATS – A musical band of NIT Rourkela
- INQUIZITIVE – Club dedicated for increasing the general interest of students towards quiz(http://www.inquizitive.co.nr)
- LEO – Smaller counterpart of Lion's Club.
- MONDAY MORNING - The Official e-Newsletter of NIT Rourkela (http://mondaymorning.nitrkl.ac.in)
- PANTOMIME – The premier Drama club of NIT Rourkela.
- ROTARACT – Coterie affiliated to Rotary Club.
- YI NET – Young Indians Net promoted by CII(Confederations of Indian Industry).
- Ranjan Dash (1998, Ceramic), Founder and Chief Technology Officer of Y-Carbon, USA.
- Aakash Khurana (Chemical), Noted theater and film personality. He has acted in numerous films namely Sarfarosh, Saaransh, Trikaal.
- P.K.Mahapatra (1972, Chemical Engineering), President & CEO (Technology Business Sector), RPG Enterprises
- Ashok Kumar Tripathy (Electrical), Ex-Director General, CPRI, Bangalore.
- Anil Kochar (1983, Electrical), Technology Advisor, National Research Council of Canada.
- Zia Saquib (1985, Electrical Engineering), Executive Director, Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC)
- Vikas Srivastava (1988, Electrical), Vice - President, Wipro Ltd.
- S. Iyer (1995, Electrical Engineering), Executive Director, PABL Systems, USA
- Damodar Acharya (Mechanical), Chairman of AICTE and Director of IIT Kharagpur
- Sandip Das (Mechanical Engineering), Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer of Maxis Communications
- Lalatendu Rath, (1970, Mechanical Engineering), Noted Oriya Film maker and actor in Adi Mimansa and Aranya Rodana.
- Padmashri Nalini Ranjan Mohanty (1971, Mechanical Engineering), Ex. CMD, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- Vineet Vohra (1985, Mechanical Engineering), Regional Director, Citibank Singapore
- Prakash Patnaik, ( 1978, Metallurgical Engineering), Director of the Institute of Aerospace Research (IAR),Canada and a NATO Scientist
National Institutes of Technology (NITs) Institutes About Schools of Management Techfests Culfests Bizfests Education in Rourkela CollegesPadmanava College of Engineering · Purushottam Institute of Engineering and Technology · Rourkela Institute of Technology · Rourkela Institute of Management Studies · Purushottam School of Engineering and Technology · Kanak Manjari Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences · Municipal College · Utkalmani Gopabandhu Institute of Engineering · S.K.D.A.V. Polytechnic For Women · Government Autonomous College SchoolsDAV Public School · Desouza's School · Deepika English Medium School · Delhi Public School · Kendriya Vidyalaya · Saraswati Vidya Mandir · Ispat English Medium School · St. Joseph Convent School · Mt.Carmel School · Chinmaya Vidyalaya · St Paul's School · MGM English Medium School · Govt. Highschool Uditnagar · Music Circle UniversityNational Institute of Technology · Biju Patnaik University of Technology
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Institute of Technology, Silchar — Motto योगः कर्मसु कौशलम् (Yogah Karmasu Kaushalam) Established 1967 Type public … Wikipedia
National Institute of Technology, Warangal — NIT Warangal main building Established 1959 Type Institute of National Importance … Wikipedia
National Institute of Technology, Durgapur — NIT Durgapur Academic building Motto Udyog Purushya Lakhshnam Established 1960 Type Institute of Nati … Wikipedia
National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur — Administrative block, NIT Hamirpur Established 1986 Type Institute of National Importance, Public, Undergraduate, Postgraduate … Wikipedia
National Institute of Technology Meghalaya — Established 2010 Type Institute of National Importance Location Shillong, Meghalaya, India National Institute of Technology Meghalaya ( … Wikipedia
National Institute of Technology Calicut — Motto Tamaso Ma Jyotirgamaya Motto in English From darkness, Lead us unto Light Established 1961 … Wikipedia
National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli — Established 1964 Type Public, Institute of National Importance Director Dr.Srinivasan … Wikipedia
National Institute of Technology Karnataka — National Institute of Technology Karnataka,Surathkal ರಾಷ್ಟೀಯ ತಾಂತ್ರಿಕ ಮಹಾವಿದ್ಯಾಲಯ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ,ಸುರತ್ಕಲ್ राष्ट्रीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान कर्नाटक,सूरतकल Motto Kannada: ಕಾಯಕವೇ ಕೈಲಾಸ Hindi … Wikipedia
National Institute of Technology, Patna — Established 2004 Type Institute of National Importance Location Patna, Bihar, India Campus … Wikipedia
National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur — National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur Established 1960 Type Public Chairman B. Muthuraman … Wikipedia