- Craigieburn, Victoria
Population: 20,784 (2006) Postcode: 3064 Area: 11.3 km² (4.4 sq mi) Location: 26 km (16 mi) from Melbourne LGA: City of Hume State District: Yuroke Federal Division: Calwell Suburbs around Craigieburn: Mickleham Mickleham Wollert Yuroke Craigieburn Wollert Greenvale Roxburgh Park Somerton
Craigieburn is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 26 km north from Melbourne's central business district. Its Local Government Area is the City of Hume. At the 2006 Census, Craigieburn had a population of 20,784.
Craigieburn is always under constant development, be that of Delfin or Stockland, or even the council. Craigieburn ranges from halfway down Bridgewater Road to Mount Ridley. It is slowly becoming more and more urbanised and making its way further north. Most of the area is more than 200 metres above sea level (with Mount Ridley being the northernmost hill in northwestern metropolitan Melbourne), giving it clear views of Melbourne's central business district 29.7 km away.
Craigieburn takes its name from an old bluestone inn (its site located directly opposite modern day Kingswood Drive) that catered for travellers along the Old Sydney Road.)
Craigieburn Post Office opened on 26 February 1866.
The following demographic statistics come from the 2006 ABS Census data.
Craigieburn's population in June 2006 was 20,785. According to the ABS 2006 Census, the percentage of Craigieburn's citizens who have Australian citizenship is 87.7% compared to 86.8% for all of Hume.
Country of birth
English was stated as the only language spoken at home by 58.3% of persons usually resident in Hume.
In the 2006 Census, the most common responses for religious affiliation for persons usually resident in Craigieburn were Catholic 37.8%, No Religion 16.8%, Anglican 10.9%, Eastern Orthodox 4.9% and Islam 4.7%. Compared to Australia as a whole, Craigieburn has more Catholics (37.8% compared to 25.8%), fewer Anglicans (10.9% compared to 18.7%), more Eastern Orthodox (4.9% compared to 2.7%), and more Muslims (4.7% compared to 1.7%).
Compared to Hume as a whole, Craigieburn has more Catholics (37.8% compared to 36.9%), more Anglicans (10.9% compared to 9.7%), more Eastern Orthodox (4.9% compared to 4.7%), and fewer Muslims (4.7% compared to 13.3%).
Sport and recreation
Australian rules football is popular in Craigieburn. A local team, the Craigieburn Football Club plays in the Essendon District Football League. and is based at D.S. Aitken Reserve. AFL club Richmond Football Club as its second training base facility at Highgate Reserve on Grand Blvd. The Tigers held a community camp in 2009 in the suburb. Richmond's VFL affiliate the Coburg Tigers played three home games there in 2010.
The Craigieburn Leisure Centre is one of three major community based recreation facilities, fully owned and operated by the Hume City Council. The Leisure Centre's facilities include:
- Heated Indoor pool
- Spa and Sauna
- Outdoor Toddlers pool (Currently not in use)
- Cardio theatre
- Group fitness
- Basketball / Netball courts
- Squash courts
- Rooms for hire
The Craigieburn Leisure Centre is the home of the Craigieburn Eagles Basketball Team.
State Swim operate a swimming centre at 87 Grand Boulevard, focussing on teaching children (from 6 months of age to teenagers) to swim.
Six tennis courts and a dance hall are located on the western side of D.S. Aitken Reserve, on Selwyn Avenue.
The Craigieburn Bowling Club is located at 245 Craigieburn Road West.
A skate bowl is located at the south eastern corner of D.S. Aitken Reserve.
Craigieburn has at least 15 kilometres of hike and bike trails.
The Craigieburn Sporting Club is situated at the Craigieburn Public Golf Course on Craigieburn Road, Craigieburn. The Club was voted by the local community best Club/Pub in Hume for 2007.
Public barbecues and a children's playground are located in the Craigieburn Gardens, located behind the Craigieburn Leisure Centre and Community Centre.
Commerce and Industry
Craigieburn Shopping Plaza is located on Craigieburn Road West. The Australian Reserve Bank Note Printing Works is also located in Craigieburn. Located further north in the newer estate on Mareeba Way there is a pharmacy, doctors surgery, cafe, bakery, general store and other fast food outlets. A Bunnings Warehouse is located on the corner of Sydney and Amaroo Roads (opened 21 December 2010). A Woolworths, Tavern and specialty shops are expected to be completed by early 2011 on the Corner of Aitken and Grand Boulevards (Highlands Estate). An industrial estate is currently being developed on the eastern side of the Hume Highway, and a rail yarding, maintenance and cleaning facility is nearing completion between the highway and the rail line north of Craigieburn rail station.
Craigieburn Town Centre
In March 2008, the 65ha Craigieburn Town Centre site was purchased from Sydney-based Valad Property Group and funded by a co-investment between Lend Lease Shopping Centre Development Pty Ltd, Australian Prime Property Fund Retail and Delfin Craigieburn Pty Limited for $73.5 million. The developer said the end value of the 65-hectare greenfield town centre development is estimated at about $400 million. (Herald Sun)
Plans for the Craigieburn Town Centre were submitted by the site owners to the Hume City Council in June 2010, and were approved on 12 July 2010. Lend Lease are set to commence 'Stage One' of construction in early 2011. The $300m first stage of the town centre will include retail, commercial, entertainment and sporting facilities. The town centre will include a 32ha shopping centre, 12ha of open space and sports fields, and a 19ha 'village green'. (The Australian)
By July 2010, 1,700 people had joined a Facebook group, 'Hurry up and build a shopping centre in Craigieburn', run by the Craigieburn Town Watchers group which formed earlier in 2010. (Hume Weekly)
The Craigieburn Town Centre will feature major and specialty stores including:
- A major activity centre for Craigieburn.
- A town centre five times the size of the existing Craigieburn Shopping Centre.
- 55,000 square metres of retail floor space and the potential for 20,000 square metres of commercial/office space.
- A portion of the site designated for recreation facilities.
- Areas for community life, including a town square and street focused activity.
- Future expansion provision as the population grows.
A 24 hour Police Station and a Fire Station are located opposite D.S. Aitken Reserve.
The Craigieburn Youth Centre is located behind the Library.
Highlands Craigieburn, a residential area by Stockland, has been growing. Formally known as Mickleham Grand it used to range from Mount Ridley Road to Crestmont Terrace but now is connected to the urbanised areas of Craigieburn. It is soon[when?] to have an addition of schools and many more parks.
- Craigieburn Primary School
- Craigieburn South Primary School
- Aitken Creek Primary School
- Willmott Park Primary School
- Our Lady's Catholic Primary School
- Mother Teresa Catholic Primary School
- Craigieburn Secondary College
- Mount Ridley College (P-12)
- Hume Anglican Grammar School
The electrified railway service to Craigieburn station was opened on 30 September 2007. Craigieburn was previously serviced by five-car diesel locomotives and Sprinter Railcars on the Seymour / Albury line. The previous terminus was Broadmeadows.
Craigieburn has six Bus services, rather than its previous three;
- Route 544 : Runs from Craigieburn Station to Roxburgh Park Station, direct.
- Route 532 : Runs from Craigieburn Station to Broadmeadows via Upfield.
Local Bus Routes (all run every 30 minutes):
- Route 528 : Runs from Cragieburn Station to Craigieburn South ('Fairways Village' estate)
- Route 529 : Runs from Craigieburn Station to Craigieburn West ('Highlands' estate via Craigieburn Road)
- Route 533 : Runs from Craigieburn Station to Craigieburn North ('original Craigieburn', 'Creekwood estate')
This was one of the first local bus routes in Craigieburn, existing when "The Met" was still the Metropolitan Public Transport provider.
- Route 535 : Runs from Craigieburn Station to Craigieburn West ('Highlands' estate via Aitken Boulevard)
Craigieburn is also serviced by the Night Rider bus 954
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Craigieburn (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=SSC21187&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 2007-09-17.
- ^ http://www.chig.asn.au/old_hotel.htm
- ^ Premier Postal History, Post Office List, https://www.premierpostal.com/cgi-bin/wsProd.sh/Viewpocdwrapper.p?SortBy=VIC&country=, retrieved 2008-04-11
- ^ Censusdata
- ^ Censusdata
- ^ Censusdata
- ^ Censusdata
- ^ Censusdata
- ^ Censusdata
- ^ Censusdata
- ^ Censusdata
- ^ Full Points Footy, Craigieburn, http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/craigieburn.htm, retrieved 2009-04-15
- ^ Golf Select, Craigieburn, http://www.golfselect.com.au/armchair/courseView.aspx?course_id=652, retrieved 2009-05-11
- ^ Golf Select, Willmott Park, http://www.golfselect.com.au/armchair/courseView.aspx?course_id=701, retrieved 2009-05-11
- City of Hume
- Craigieburn Historical Interest Group
- Craigieburn - The Delfin Lend Lease Website
- Craigieburn Sporting Club
- Craigieburn Basketball Association - Craigieburn Eagles
- Craigieburn Football Club - Craigieburn Eagles
- Craigieburn Tennis Club
- State Swim Craigieburn
Suburbs of the City of Hume | Melbourne | Victoria
Attwood · Broadmeadows · Bulla · Campbellfield · Clarkefield · Coolaroo · Craigieburn · Dallas · Diggers Rest · Gladstone Park · Greenvale · Jacana · Kalkallo · Keilor · Meadow Heights · Melbourne Airport · Mickleham · Oaklands Junction · Roxburgh Park · Somerton · Sunbury · Tullamarine · Westmeadows · Wildwood · Yuroke
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Craigieburn — bezeichnet folgende Orte Craigieburn (Victoria), Australien Craigieburn (Canterbury), Neuseeland Craigieburn Range, Gebirgskette in Neuseeland Craigieburn (Waikato), Neuseeland Craigieburn (Südafrika), KwaZulu Natal, Südafrika Diese Seite ist… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Craigieburn — may refer to the following place names: Craigieburn, Victoria, Australia Craigieburn, New Zealand This disambiguation page lists articles about distinct geographical locations with the same name. If an … Wikipedia
Craigieburn railway station, Melbourne — MelbourneRailwayStation1 NAME=Craigieburn IMAGELINK=Craigieburn station platforms overview.jpg CAPTION=View from the suburban platform looking away from Melbourne, country platform in background CODE=CGB DISTANCE=27 km LINES=Albury, Craigieburn,… … Wikipedia
Craigieburn, New Zealand — This article is about Craigieburn in New Zealand. For Craigieburn, a suburb of Melbourne in Australia, see Craigieburn, Victoria. Craigieburn is the name of several geographic features in northwest Canterbury, in New Zealand s South Island. The… … Wikipedia
Craigieburn railway line — Craigieburn railway line, Melbourne Line details Commenced 1860 Completed 1872 Stations 15 … Wikipedia
Craigieburn Football Club — CRAIGIEBURN Full name Craigieburn Football Club Emblem The Eagles Colours Brown and white halves gold eagle Founded Senior Club 1970 League Essendon District Football League … Wikipedia
Craigieburn railway station — Craigieburn Station information Code … Wikipedia
Craigieburn Bypass Trail — Sign at Craigieburn at the start of the trail Craigieburn Bypass Trail … Wikipedia
Craigieburn — /ˈkreɪgibɜn/ (say kraygeebern) noun a town in southern central Victoria, north of Melbourne … Australian English dictionary
List of schools in Victoria, Australia — This is a list of schools in Victoria, Australia. (NOTE: This list is not complete) Contents 1 Government Primary Schools 1.1 A 1.2 B 1.3 C 1.4 … Wikipedia