- Double Fantasy
Double Fantasy Studio album by John Lennon and Yoko Ono Released 19 November 1980 Recorded The Hit Factory, NYC
4 August 1980 – late September 1980
Genre Rock Length 45:05
48:07 (Stripped Down)
Label Geffen Producer John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Jack Douglas John Lennon chronology Shaved Fish
The John Lennon Collection
Yoko Ono chronology A Story
Season of Glass
Singles from Double Fantasy Double Fantasy Stripped DownCover of the 2010 remix with stripped down production. Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic link Robert Christgau (A) link Rolling Stone (Reissue)
Double Fantasy is an album released by John Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono, in 1980. Though initially poorly received, the album is notable for its association with Lennon's murder three weeks after its release, whereupon it become a worldwide commercial success, and went on to win the 1981 Album of the Year at the 24th Annual Grammy Awards.
Following the birth of his son Sean in 1975, Lennon had put his career on hold to raise him. After five years of little musical activity aside from recording the occasional demo in his apartment in New York, Lennon felt ready to resume work. He was quoted as saying that when making the album, his ambition was to "do something as good as "Heroes", the 1977 album by David Bowie.
In the summer of 1980, Lennon made a sailing trip through treacherous waters from Newport, Rhode Island to Bermuda. Almost losing his life in that journey, he began to write new songs, occasionally reworking the earlier demos. He stated that he was the most content he had ever felt in all his years and he celebrated this and the love for his family in the lyrics of his new work.
Ono also wrote many songs, inspired with new confidence after Lennon had stated that he believed that contemporary popular music such as the B-52's "Rock Lobster" bore similarities to Ono's earlier work.
The couple decided to release their work on the same album, the first time they had done so since 1972's politically-charged Some Time in New York City. In stark contrast to that album, Double Fantasy (subtitled A Heart Play) was a collection of songs wherein husband and wife would conduct a musical dialogue. The album took its title from a species of freesia, seen in the Bermuda Botanical Gardens, whose name Lennon regarded as a perfect description of his marriage to Ono.
Ono approached producer Jack Douglas, with whom both Lennon and she had worked before, and gave him Lennon's demos to listen to. “My immediate impressions were that I was going to have a hard time making it better than the demos because there was such intimacy in the demos,” Douglas told Uncut's Chris Hunt in 2005.
They produced dozens of songs, enough to fill Double Fantasy and a large part of a projected second album, Milk and Honey.
Douglas brought Rick Nielsen and Bun E. Carlos of the band Cheap Trick  to play on Lennon's "I'm Losing You" and Ono's "I'm Moving On", but were eventually re-recorded with the studio musicians. (The Cheap Trick version of "I'm Losing You" was included on the John Lennon Anthology collection released in 1998.)
Unimpressed with its cosy domesticity, critical reaction to the album was largely scathing—"a self-obsessed disaster" according to one reviewer. However, three weeks after the album's release, Lennon was murdered and many of the poor reviews were withdrawn from publication.
In the UK album charts, the album had peaked at #14 then slipped to #46 whilst in the US, the album had slowly risen to #11. Upon Lennon's murder, the album jumped to #1 in the US chart, where it stayed for eight weeks and in the UK, it jumped to #2, where it remained for seven weeks before finally spending two weeks at #1.
In 1982, Douglas, Lennon and Ono won the 1981 Album of the Year for Double Fantasy at the 24th Annual Grammy Awards. In 1989 the album was ranked #29 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest albums of the 1980s.
In 2003, a copy of the album that Lennon had signed for his murderer only hours before his death was put on sale at a price of $525,000 (equivalent to $626,760 today).
In 2010, a two-CD set called Double Fantasy Stripped Down, which included a newly remastered copy of the original album along with an alternative version of the album featuring simpler arrangements, was released.
No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "(Just Like) Starting Over" John Lennon 3:56 2. "Kiss Kiss Kiss" Yoko Ono 2:41 3. "Cleanup Time" Lennon 2:58 4. "Give Me Something" Ono 1:35 5. "I'm Losing You" Lennon 3:57 6. "I'm Moving On" Ono 2:20 7. "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" Lennon 4:02 8. "Watching the Wheels" Lennon 3:35 9. "Yes, I'm Your Angel" Ono 3:08 10. "Woman" Lennon 3:22 11. "Beautiful Boys" Ono 2:55 12. "Dear Yoko" Lennon 2:34 13. "Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him" Ono 4:02 14. "Hard Times Are Over" Ono 3:20
2000 re-issue bonus tracks
No. Title Writer(s) Length 15. "Help Me to Help Myself" Lennon 2:37 16. "Walking on Thin Ice" Ono 6:00 17. "Central Park Stroll" (Dialogue) 0:17
2010 Stripped Down mixes
No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "(Just Like) Starting Over" Lennon 4:24 2. "Kiss Kiss Kiss" Ono 2:45 3. "Cleanup Time" Lennon 3:56 4. "Give Me Something" Ono 1:31 5. "I'm Losing You" Lennon 4:26 6. "I'm Moving On" Ono 2:28 7. "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" Lennon 3:50 8. "Watching the Wheels" Lennon 3:32 9. "Yes, I'm Your Angel" Ono 2:53 10. "Woman" Lennon 3:45 11. "Beautiful Boys" Ono 3:16 12. "Dear Yoko" Lennon 3:03 13. "Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him" Ono 4:46 14. "Hard Times Are Over" Ono 3:38
Year Nominated work Award Result 1982 Double Fantasy Album of the Year Won Best Pop Vocal Performance - Male Nominated "(Just Like) Starting Over" Record of the Year Nominated
Chart (1980/81) Position Australian Kent Music Report Chart 1 Austrian Albums Chart 1 Canadian RPM Albums Chart 1 Dutch Mega Albums Chart 4 French SNEP Albums Chart  2 Italian Albums Chart 6 Japanese Oricon LP Chart 2 New Zealand Albums Chart  1 Norwegian VG-lista Albums Chart 1 Swedish Albums Chart 1 UK Albums Chart  1 U.S. Billboard 200  1 West German Media Control Albums Chart  2
Chart (1980) Position UK Albums Chart 12 Chart (1981) Position Australian Albums Chart 1 Austrian Albums Chart 2 Canadian Albums Chart 3 Italian Albums Chart 9 Japanese Albums Chart 29 UK Albums Chart 10 U.S. Billboard 200 2
Certifications & Sales
Region Certification Sales/shipments France (SNEP) Platinum 533,900 Germany (BVMI) Gold 250,000^ Japan (Oricon Charts) 306,470 United Kingdom (BPI) Platinum 300,000^ United States (RIAA) 3× Platinum 3,000,000^
^shipments figures based on certification alone
xunspecified figures based on certification alone
- John Lennon – lead, harmony and background vocals; rhythm and acoustic guitars; piano and keyboards; arranger and producer.
- Yoko Ono – lead and background vocals; arranger and producer.
- Jack Douglas - arranger and producer.
- Earl Slick – lead guitar.
- Hugh McCracken – lead guitar.
- Tony Levin – bass.
- George Small – keyboards.
- Andy Newmark – drums.
- Arthur Jenkins – percussion.
- Ed Walsh – oberheim, synthesizer.
- Robert Greenidge – steel drum on "Beautiful Boy"
- Matthew Cunningham – hammer dulcimer on "Watching the Wheels"
- Randy Stein – English Concertina
- Howard Johnson – horns.
- Grant Hungerford – horns.
- John Parran – horns.
- Seldon Powell – horns.
- George "Young" Opalisky – horns.
- Roger Rosenberg – horns.
- David Tofani – horns.
- Ronald Tooley – horns.
- Tony Davillo – horn arrangements and musical associate.
- Michelle Simpson, Cassandra Wooten, Cheryl Mason Jacks, Eric Troyer, Benny Cummings Singers, The Kings Temple Choir – background vocals.
- Toshihiro Hamaya – production assistant.
- Frederic Seaman – production assistant.
- Julie Last – assistant engineer.
- George Marino – original mastering and remastering.
- Lee DeCarlo – engineer.
- Jon Smith – assistant engineer.
- Anthony Davilio – musical associate.
- James A. Ball – assistant engineer.
- Bob Gruen – photography.
- Kishin Shinoyama – cover photo and photography.
- Karla Merrifield – reissue art coordinator.
- Nishi F Saimaru – photography.
- David Spindel – photography.
- Lilo Raymond – photography.
- Christopher Whorf – artwork.
- Bruce Replogle - publicist.
- ^ Sheffield, Rob (2010), p. 101. Rolling Stone Magazine. Retrieved on 2010-10-10.
- ^ Pegg, Nicholas (2000). The Complete David Bowie. pp. 307–309.
- ^ a b "Just Like Starting Over" by Chris Hunt, Uncut John Lennon Special, 2005
- ^ a b "Double Fantasy by John Lennon | Rolling Stone Music | Music Reviews". Rollingstone.com. 2011-08-30. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/reviews/album/7480/37147. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- ^ Clarke, John Jr.. Paste. Whatever gets you through the storm; 9 January 2007 [cited 10 May 2010].
- ^ Starting Over: The Making of John Lennon & Toko Ono's Double Fantasy, Ken Sharp 2010
- ^ ""The Recording of Double Fantasy"". Chrishunt.biz. http://www.chrishunt.biz/features26.html. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- ^ "The ballad of Paul and Yoko". Dir.salon.com. http://dir.salon.com/story/ent/music/feature/2003/01/27/paul_yoko/index1.html. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- ^ a b c "John Lennon - Double Fantasy". Chart Stats. http://www.chartstats.com/release.php?release=39454. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- ^ http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/billboard-200?chartDate=1981-02-14
- ^ "Rocklist.net Rolling Stone Lists - Main Page". Rocklistmusic.co.uk. 2002-10-17. http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/rstone.html. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- ^ "Lennon killer's signed LP on sale". BBC News. 2003-11-28. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3247408.stm. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- ^ "Past Winners Search". grammy.com. http://www.grammy.com/nominees/search?artist=John+Lennon. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ a b "Rock On The Net: 24th Annual Grammy Awards - 1982". http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/1982/grammys.htm. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ a b Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0646119176.
- ^ "austriancharts.at John Lennon / Yoko Ono - Double Fantasy" (in German). Hung Medien. http://austriancharts.at/showitem.asp?interpret=John+Lennon+%2F+Yoko+Ono&titel=Milk+And+Honey&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 34, No. 7, January 24 1981". RPM. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/rpm/028020-119.01-e.php?&file_num=nlc008388.0278&type=1&interval=20&PHPSESSID=c6btf3r8hs459qqt5ln3o3dcv5. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "dutchcharts.nl John Lennon / Yoko Ono - Double Fantasy" (in Dutch). Hung Medien, dutchcharts.nl. MegaCharts. http://dutchcharts.nl/showitem.asp?interpret=John+Lennon+%2F+Yoko+Ono&titel=Double+Fantasy&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste" (in French). infodisc.fr. http://infodisc.fr/Album_L.php. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ a b "Hit Parade Italia - Gli album più venduti del 1981" (in Italian). hitparadeitalia.it. http://www.hitparadeitalia.it/hp_yenda/lpe1981.htm. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ a-ビートルズ "- Yamachan Land (Archives of the Japanese record charts) - Albums Chart Daijiten - The Beatles" (in Japanese). 2007-12-30. http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~yamag/album/al_beatles.html a-ビートルズ. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "charts.org.nz - John Lennon / Yoko Ono - Double Fantasy". Hung Medien, charts.org.nz. Recording Industry Association of New Zea Land. http://charts.org.nz/showitem.asp?interpret=John+Lennon+%2F+Yoko+Ono&titel=Double+Fantasy&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "norwegiancharts.com John Lennon / Yoko Ono - Double Fantasy". Hung Medien, norwegiancharts.com. VG-lista. http://norwegiancharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=John+Lennon+%2F+Yoko+Ono&titel=Double+Fantasy&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "swedishcharts.com John Lennon / Yoko Ono - Double Fantasy" (in Swedish). Hung Medien, swedishcharts.com. Sverigetopplistan. http://swedishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=John+Lennon+%2F+Yoko+Ono&titel=Double+Fantasy&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "allmusic ((( Double Fantasy > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r11538/charts-awards. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "Album Search: John Lennon" (in German). Media Control. http://www.charts.de/search.asp?search=John+Lennon&x=0&y=0&cat=a&country=de. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ a b "Complete UK Year-End Album Charts". http://chartheaven.9.forumer.com/a/complete-uk-yearend-album-charts_post21.html. Retrieved 2011-10-04.
- ^ "Austriancharts.st - Jahreshitparade 1981" (in German). Hung Medien. http://austriancharts.at/1981_album.asp. Retrieved 2011-10-04.
- ^ "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1981". RPM. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/rpm/028020-119.01-e.php?&file_num=nlc008388.4687&type=1&interval=20&PHPSESSID=c6btf3r8hs459qqt5ln3o3dcv5. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ 1981年アルバム年間ヒットチャート "Japanese Year-End Albums Chart 1981" (in Japanese). Oricon. http://entamedata.web.fc2.com/music/music_a1981.html 1981年アルバム年間ヒットチャート. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ "Year End Charts - Year-end Albums - The Billboard 200". Billboard.com. Archived from the original on 2008-02-10. http://web.archive.org/web/20080210060007/http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/yearend_chart_display.jsp?f=The+Billboard+200&g=Year-end+Albums&year=1981. Retrieved 2009-08-06.
- ^ "French album certifications – John Lennon & Yoko Ono – Double Fantasy" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. http://www.disqueenfrance.com/fr/pag-259165-CERTIFICATIONS.html&type=12.
- ^ "Les Albums Platine". infodisc.fr. SNEP. http://www.infodisc.fr/CDCertif_P.php?debut=500. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "German album certifications – John Lennon/Yoko Ono – Double Fantasy" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. http://www.musikindustrie.de/gold_platin_datenbank/?action=suche&strTitel=Double+Fantasy&strInterpret=John+Lennon%2FYoko+Ono&strTtArt=alben&strAwards=checked.
- ^ Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970-2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4871310779.
- ^ "British album certifications – John Lennon/Yoko Ono – Double Fantasy". British Phonographic Industry. http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx. Enter Double Fantasy in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- ^ "American album certifications – Lennon, John & Yoko Ono – Double Fantasy". Recording Industry Association of America. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?artist=%22Double+Fantasy%22. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- Double Fantasy at Graham Calkin's Beatles Pages
- Just Like Starting Over The Recording Of Double Fantasy by Chris Hunt, published in Uncut John Lennon Special, 2005
Chart procession and succession Preceded by
Greatest Hits by Kenny Rogers
Billboard 200 number-one album
27 December 1980 – 20 February 1981
Hi Infidelity by REO Speedwagon
Guilty by Barbra Streisand
Australian Kent Music Report number-one album
22 December 1980 - 1 March 1981
Zenyattà Mondatta by The Police
Guilty by Barbra Streisand
Austrian Chart number-one album
15 January - 1 February, 1981
Hitparade der Schlümpfe by Die Schlümpfe
Zenyattà Mondatta by The Police
Hi Infidelity by REO Speedwagon
Canadian RPM Chart number-one album
24 - 31 January, 1981
14 - 28 March, 1981
Zenyattà Mondatta by The Police
Moving Pictures by Rush
Super Trouper by ABBA
Swedish Chart number-one album
30 January - 13 February, 1981
Clues by Robert Palmer
Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants
UK Albums Chart number-one album
7 February 1981 - 20 February 1981
Face Value by Phil Collins
Guilty by Barbra Streisand
Norwegian Chart number-one album
07 - 12 / 1981
Natt og dag by Finn Kalvik
Greatest Hits by Anne Murray
Making Waves by The Nolans
New Zealand Chart number-one album
15 March, 1981
29 March - 12 April, 1981
Making Waves by The Nolans
Waiata by Split Enz
John Lennon Studio albums With Yoko Ono Live albums Compilations SoundtracksImagine: John Lennon · The U.S. vs. John Lennon Box sets Books FilmsHow I Won the War (1967) · Two Virgins (1968) · No. 5 (1968) · Honeymoon (1969) · Freedom (1970) · Fly (1970) · Legs (1970) · Apotheosis (1970) · Erection (1971) · Imagine (1972) · Dynamite Chicken (1972) · Oh! Calcutta! (1972) · John and Yoko: A Love Story (1985) · Imagine: John Lennon (1988) · In His Life: The John Lennon Story (2000) · The U.S. vs. John Lennon (2006) · The Killing of John Lennon (2006) · Chapter 27 (2007) · I Met the Walrus (2007) · Nowhere Boy (2009) · Lennon Naked (2010) Family RelatedPeopleMediaThe Lost Lennon Tapes · Come Together: A Night for John Lennon's Words and Music (concert) · ROOTS: John Lennon Sings The Great Rock & Roll Hits · Pussy Cats · Working Class Hero: A Tribute to John Lennon · Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur · The 30th Annual John Lennon Tribute: Live from the Beacon Theatre, NYC · A Toot and a Snore in '74 · Lennon (musical) · Lennon Legend: The Very Best of John Lennon (DVD) · The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll CircusArticles Yoko Ono Studio albums With John Lennon Live albums Compilations Other albums See also Grammy Award for Album of the Year (1980s) Year Album Artist(s) Producer(s) 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 Complete list · (1960s) · (1970s) · (1980s) · (1990s) · (2000s) · (2010s)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Double Fantasy — Album par John Lennon et Yoko Ono Sortie 17 novembre 1980 Enregistrement Août septembre 1980 The Hit Factory, New York Durée 45:05 Genre … Wikipédia en Français
Double Fantasy — Studioalbum von John Lennon und Yoko Ono Veröffentlichung 17. November 1980 Label … Deutsch Wikipedia
Double Fantasy — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Double Fantasy Álbum de John Lennon Yoko Ono Publicación 17 de noviembre de 1980 Grabación 4 de agosto … Wikipedia Español
Double Fantasy — Double Fantasy … Википедия
Fantasy football (American) — Fantasy football is a fantasy sports game in which participants (called owners ) are arranged into a league. The person who creates the league is called the commissioner, and that person invites other owners into his/her league. Each team drafts… … Wikipedia
Double Phoenix — … Wikipedia
Double, Double, Toil and Trouble — DVD cover Directed by Stuart Margolin … Wikipedia
Double Date (How I Met Your Mother) — Double Date How I Met Your Mother episode Episode no. Season 5 Episode 2 Directed by Pamela Fryman Written by … Wikipedia
Double Dragon Publishing — is a Canadian based publisher specializing in e book format publication. Founded by Deron Douglas in 2000, the company claims the largest collection of titles in the Science Fiction and Fantasy categories currently in print, with annual sales of… … Wikipedia
Double Assassinat Dans La Rue Morgue (Film, 1932) — Double Assassinat dans la rue Morgue (Murders in the Rue Morgue) est un film américain réalisé par Robert Florey, sorti en 1932. Sommaire 1 Synopsis 2 Fiche technique 3 Distribution … Wikipédia en Français