- Donald B. (towboat)
DONALD B (towboat)
Location: Vevay, Indiana Coordinates: Coordinates: Built: 1923 Architect: Marietta Manufacturing Co. Governing body: Private NRHP Reference#: 89002458 Significant dates Added to NRHP: December 20, 1989 Designated NHL: December 20, 1989
DONALD B, originally STANDARD, and now BARBARA H is a towboat that has been named a U.S. National Historic Landmark and is now based at Lamb, Indiana, across the Ohio River from Carrollton, Kentucky. She is owned by the Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society, a not-for-profit corporation.
The boat measures 99 feet (30 m) long overall (80 feet (24 m) hull length plus the paddlewheel) by 18 feet (5.5 m) beam. She draws 32 inches (0.8 m). She is powered by a 160 horsepower (120 kW) 1940 Fairbanks-Morse 35E10 direct reversing diesel engine. She measures 51 gross registry tons and displaces approximately 108 long tons (110 t).
- 1923 - 1940 STANDARD, owned by Standard Oil Company of Ohio
- 1940 - 2001 DONALD B, named after the owner's son, Donald Brookbank, who later became her Captain
- 2001 - BARBARA H named after the Captain's wife, Barbara Huffman
Vessels which move barges on the Mississipi River and its tributaries are known as "towboats" despite the fact that they do not tow barges, but always push barges from behind.
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23. http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natreg/docs/All_Data.html.
- ^ a b "DONALD B (Towboat)". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. http://tps.cr.nps.gov/nhl/detail.cfm?ResourceId=2083&ResourceType=Structure. Retrieved 2008-06-16.
- ^ Foster, Kevin J. (July 10, 1989). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: DONALD B.". National Park Service. http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NHLS/Text/89002458.pdf. and Accompanying photo from 1988
- ^ Boats and Harbors 54 (10): 20. August 2011.
- ^ a b "m/v Barbara H Sternwheel Towboat". Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society. http://www.barbarah.hspsi.org.
U.S. National Register of Historic Places Topics Lists by statesAlabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming Lists by territories Lists by associated states Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Register of Historic Places listings in Switzerland County, Indiana — Location of Switzerland County in Indiana This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Switzerland County, Indiana. This is intended to be a complete list of the properties on the National Register of Historic Places in… … Wikipedia
Liste der National Historic Landmarks in Indiana — Die Liste der National Historic Landmarks in Indiana ist eine Denkmalliste von derzeit 37 vom US Innenministerium als National Historic Landmark (NHL) anerkannten Stätten und Denkmälern von nationaler Bedeutung im Bundesstaat Indiana. Sie werden… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nathan F. Cobb — grounded on Ormond Beach in 1896 Career Name: Nathan F. Cobb … Wikipedia