- VH1 Classic
VH1 Classic Type Digital cable/Satellite television network (Music) Country United States Availability United States Slogan Love your Idols, We do Headquarters New York City Owner MTV Networks (Viacom) Launch date May 8, 2000 Official website http://www.vh1classic.com
VH1 Classic is a television network, launched in the United Kingdom on July 1, 1999 as two channels on one programming slot; "vh1 classic smooth" and "vh1 classic rock". The American sister network started on May 8, 2000. It is operated as part of MTV Networks, a subsidiary of Viacom and primarily features music videos and concert footage from the 1970s through the mid-1990s, though it formerly included a wider range of genres and time periods. This channel is a sister channel to VH1.
The network originally played only videos but currently has a more varied line-up of music-themed programs. This includes themed compilation shows of music videos and concert footage, such as music videos focused on Heavy Metal music or on music of the 1980s, music documentaries such as the Classic Albums series, music themed movies, and full length concerts. They also rebroadcast programs first shown on the main VH1 channel, including Pop-Up Video and I Love the '80s.
List of VH1 Classic shows
- That Metal Show - hosted by Eddie Trunk, is an hour long talk show that focuses on heavy metal music, both classic and current. Features guest appearances by notable heavy metal musicians, such as Lita Ford, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Geoff Tate, Peter Criss, and Yngwie Malmsteen.
- Hangin' with Encore - a music act spends time in VH1 Classic Studios and performs.
Video compilation shows
- VH1 Classic 120 Minutes - Formerly The Alternative. A block of classic alternative videos, modeled after the original MTV show 120 Minutes.
- (Classic) Rock Fest - Classic rock music videos from the 1960s through the early 1990s, including concert footage.
- Totally 80s - Broadcasts music videos exclusively from the 1980s. Previously known as We Are the '80s.
- Metal Mania - Classic hard rock and metal videos from the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s.
- Class of... - Focuses on videos of a particular year.
- VH1 Classic's All-time Top Ten - Ranked order of videos focused around a single artist or theme.
- Pop-Up Video - The classic VH1 series with pop-up bubbles of information during videos.
- Top 20 Countdown - Ranked lists of videos according to a theme.
- VH1 Classic Current - An artist's classic hit songs, paired with new releases. No longer a show from 2009 onward.
- Box Set - A selection of music video clips spanning a band's career, with comments from the band and additional background information.
- Top 20 Flashback - The show that plays different videos from different decades. In 2007, the show plays the videos from the 70s, in 2008 it plays the videos from the 80s and in 2009 it plays the videos from the 90s.
- One Hit Wonders - A series devoted to videos of one-hit wonders.
Documentary and film series
- Classic Albums – Tells the story behind the making of some of the greatest albums of all time through interviews the artist and producers. Artists include Led Zeppelin, The Who, Phil Collins, Meat Loaf, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Fleetwood Mac, The Band, Judas Priest, Jimi Hendrix, Elton John, Bob Marley, Queen, Motörhead, Iron Maiden, Rush, Metallica, Nirvana, Cream, John Lennon.
- History of Rock and Roll - Quincy Jones-produced miniseries that documents the rise of rock and roll.
- Seven Ages of Rock - documentary series that presents the history of Rock and Roll by focusing on specific genres set in their time, such as Punk rock or Rock.
- VH1 Rock Docs - rebroadcasts of music documentaries originally produced for other networks or for video (VHS or DVD) release.
- Heavy: The Story of Metal - four part documentary series focused on the history of heavy metal music.
- The Drug Years - four part documentary series focused on the history of drug use in American popular culture.
- Sex: The Revolution - four part documentary series focused on the history of the sexual culture in America from the 1950s to the present.
- Lords of the Revolution - five part documentary focused on men who have broke the boundaries of traditional American society such as Cheech and Chong and Andy Warhol.
- Rock & Roll Picture Show - VH1 Classic's movie umbrella title. Most of the films featured have some musical theme.
- Behind the music remastered- a documentary that takes you behind the scenes of the life of musicians such as: Heart, Meatloaf,John Lennon and Hall and Oates.
Full length concert series
- BBC Crown Jewels - A BBC acquisition vintage concert series, shows include Sight and Sound in Concert, In Concert,[disambiguation needed ] The Old Grey Whistle Test, and Rock Goes To College.
- Classic In Concert - classic artists' concerts presented in their entirety, although some are edited from commercial DVD releases.
- VH1 Rock Honors - annual awards show and concert that airs on both VH1 and VH1 classic.
Rebroadcasts of other MTV or VH1 programs
- Club MTV - The classic Club MTV series that features dance music in New York City.
- I Love the '80s - Nostalgia series that features on music and culture from the 1980s. Had two sequel series, and several spinoffs that focus on music and culture of the 1970s, 1990s, and 2000s.
- I Love the '70s: Volume 2 - Nostalgia series that features on music and culture from the 1970s.
- Yo! MTV Raps - The classic MTV Raps series that produced lively mix of rap videos, interviews with rap stars, live in studio performances and comedy.
Annual shows and specials
- VH1 Classic Thanksgiving - Each year, VH1 Classic honors its viewers by inviting their favorite classic artists to join the VH1 staff for a Thanksgiving dinner. There was also a similar show which was done for Passover. Last edition aired in 2007.
- All Roads Lead to Sturgis - An annual VH1 Classic show that spotlights the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
- Metal Month - In May 2006, VH1 classic, with some help from VH1, focused on Heavy metal. The month saw the premieres of the Top 40 metal songs, Heavy: The Story of Metal, and VH1 Rock Honors.
- First day of MTV - On August 1, 2006, VH1 Classic re-created the first day of MTV in honor of the network's 25th anniversary. VH1 Classic showed the videos and short clips of other linking material from that day, as well as various other videos from MTV's early years. * On July 30 thru August 1st, 2011, they also re-created the first day of MTV in honor of the network's 30th anniversary.
- Hall of Fame weekend block - During the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions in 2006, VH1 Classic dedicated the entire weekend to current Rockhall members. Artists included either true members like Eric Clapton or related non-members like Derek and the Dominos.
- 80 Hours of the '80s - Aired over Labor Day Weekend 2008. Featured music videos from the 1980s in alphabetical order by artist (last name or the name of the group). Goodman served as host. Some clips from his days at MTV were shown.
- 2009 for 2009 - Aired 2009 Music Videos Starting at Midnight on New Years Day 2009, and continued until January 18. Videos are placed in Alphabetical Order of the Songs name. 2010 for 2010 was scheduled to air for 3 weeks but was scrapped the morning of December 31 without reason although cable programmers had the countdown listed to be aired as late as 11:45 PM EST.
- 8 days of The 80's - Aired as a kick off to their Summer Rock Series. For the first 4 days, they aired 80 hours of 80s Song in Alphabetical Order.
- Rushashonna - 24 Hours of Rush music is aired including concerts, videos, and interviews. It aired in 2008 and 2010, but was skipped in 2009.
- All Star Jams - Well-known songs and artists.
- Morning Video Block - Wake up to well-known classic songs and artists. Similar to the old show All-Star Jams. Discontinued November 2011 in favor of reruns.
- The 60's Generation - 1960s block.
- The Super Seventies - An hour long program which aired videos and performances from artists of the 1970s. The clips shown were not genre-specific. It was replaced in 2006 by 70s A to Z.
- 70s A to Z - 1970s block. Replaced The Super Seventies in 2006.
- VH1 Classic Soul - R&B from the 1950s through the 1990s.
- Pop Show - Pop hits & stars.
- The Vault - Similar to All Star Jams, but with lesser known songs and artists.
- All Request Hour - Viewer Requests by email. The show debuted in 2002. As of April 2007, it is no longer on regular rotation.
- Tuesday Twoplay - Weekly block featuring back-to-back songs from various artists.
- You Can't Stop Hip Hop - Hip hop videos from the 1980s.
- Classic Jukebox - A semi-annual show where celebrity guests are allowed to pick any video they want to see.
- Headline Act - Features videos and interviews from a single artist. Usually a half hour in length, it has occasionally been expanded to an hour
- Turn Tables - A segment where VH1 Classic veejays discuss a particular music topic.
- Decades Rock Live - Concerts celebrating long-time famous acts with today's acts.
- VH1 Classic UK was a British channel based on the same format as the US one, and was on air from July 1, 1999 - March 1, 2010, when it was rebranded as MTV Classic.
- VH1 Classic European is an English language station broadcasting to Austria, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Italy (only on Alice Home TV), Norway, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovak Republic, Sweden, and Ukraine. This version has been launched on the 1st of December 2005. Previously, the UK version was shown. Both these channels are operated by MTV Networks Europe in Warsaw.
- VH1 Classic Brazil is the brazilian version for VH1 Classic and was released in 2010.
MTV NetworksParent: Viacom Primary service MTV Networks Asia PacificMTV Asia · MTV India · MTV Japan · MTV Pakistan · MTV Thailand · MTV Middle East · MTV Taiwan · MTV China · MTV Indonesia · MTV Korea · MTV Vietnam · Nickelodeon Pakistan · Nickelodeon Arabia · Nickelodeon (Japan) · Nickelodeon South East Asia · Nickelodeon Philippines · Nickelodeon India · Nickelodeon (South Korea) · Nickelodeon Indonesia · VH1 Thailand · VH1 India · VH1 Indonesia · VH1 Pakistan Channels in Australia and New Zealand Channels in North AmericaCMT · CMT (Canada) (10% with Corus Entertainment) · CMT Pure Country · Comedy Central · Epix (co-owned with Lionsgate and MGM) · Logo · Palladia · MTV · MTV2 · MTV Hits · MTV Jams · mtvU · Nick Jr. · Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite · Nicktoons · Spike · TeenNick · Tr3́s · TV Land · VH1 · VH1 Classic · VH1 Soul Secondary service MTV Networks Europe Pan-European Balkans Baltics (defunct)MTV Estonia · MTV Lithuania & Latvia Czech RepublicMTV Czech ' Nickelodeon (Czech) Benelux Nordic France Germany / Austria / Switzerland Greece Hungary Italy Israel Poland PortugalMTV Portugal · Nickelodeon Portugal RomaniaMTV România · Nickelodeon Romania Russia Spain Turkey (defunct) Ukraine UK and Ireland MTV Networks Africa Channels
MTV · MTV2 · MTV Jams · MTV Hits · MTV Tr3s · Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite · Nicktoons · TeenNick · Nick Jr. · VH1 · VH1 Classic · VH1 Soul · VH1 · CMT · CMT Pure Country · Logo · Comedy Central · TV Land · Epix · Palladiadefunctional channels
Internet Other units MTV Networks Latin America Pan-American Brazil Defunct Licensed See also Defunct services Defunct channelsMTV Philippines · Box Comedy · Ha! · MTV Chi · MTV Classic · MTV Desi · MTV Flux · MTV K · MTV New Zealand · MTVX · Nick-at-Nite UK · Nick GAS · Noggin UK · TMF Australia · VH1 Australia · VH1 Germany · VH1 Uno · VH2 · Noggin · The N · TMF Nederland · TMF NL · TMF Dance · MTV Turkiye · Nickelodeon Turkey · TMF Pure Internet services Other units Viacom Inc. Corporate directors MTV Networks
MTV Networks Company, Inc.
BET Networks Paramount Motion Pictures GroupParamount Pictures Corporation: Paramount Pictures · Paramount Vantage · Paramount Classics · Republic Pictures · United International Pictures (50% with NBC Universal's Universal Studios)
MTV branded labels: MTV Films · Nickelodeon Movies
Other units: EPIX (co-owned with Lions Gate Entertainment and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer)
Television stations Viacom Music Group Miscellaneous assets See also
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
VH1 Classic — Nombre público VH1 Classic Tipo de canal DVB S DVB C Programación Musical Propietario MTV Networks País … Wikipedia Español
VH1 Classic UK — Infobox TV channel name = VH1 Classic logofile = logoalt = Current VH1 Classic UK logo launch = 1 July 1999 share = 0.0% share as of = February 2008 share source = [http://www.barb.co.uk/viewingsummary/monthreports.cfm?report=monthgmulti] owner … Wikipedia
VH1 Classic — ist ein digitaler Pay TV Musiksender aus Großbritannien. Es werden ausschließlich Musikvideos gezeigt, die größtenteils unter bestimmten Mottos zusammengefasst werden (beispielsweise We Are The 80s). Schwerpunkt bilden Musikvideos seit den 1970er … Deutsch Wikipedia
VH1 Classic 120 Minutes — Infobox Television bgcolour = #BFDFFF show name = 120 Minutes (formerly The Alternative ) format = Music Video runtime =120 Minutes first aired = August 20, 2004 last aired = Present country = United States network = VH1 Classic VH1 Classic 120… … Wikipedia
VH1 & Comedy Central Family Poland — Launched December 1, 2005 (As VH1) April 24, 2010 (As VH1 Comedy Central Family) Audience share 0.12% (2008, ) Sister channel(s) … Wikipedia
VH1 — Senderlogo Allgemeine Informationen Empfang: Kabel … Deutsch Wikipedia
VH1 — Création 1er janvier 1985 Propriétaire MTV Networks (groupe Viacom) Slogan watch and discuss Langue … Wikipédia en Français
VH1 — Nombre público VH1 Eslogan Watch and discuss (Vea y discuta) Tipo de canal DVB S DVB C Programación Musical … Wikipedia Español
VH1 — Страна … Википедия
VH1 Latinoamérica — Programación Adulto Joven Propietario MTV Networks Latinoamérica Sitio web vh1la.com Disponibilidad Satélite DirecTV L … Wikipedia Español