- North West Mounted Police (film)
Northwest Mounted Police
Theatrical release poster
Directed by Cecil B. DeMille Produced by Cecil B. DeMille Written by R. C. Fetherstonhaugh (novel The Royal Canadian Mounted Police) (uncredited)
Alan Le May
Jesse Lasky, Jr.
C. Gardner Sullivan
Starring Gary Cooper
Music by Victor Young Cinematography W. Howard Greene
Editing by Anne Bauchens Release date(s) October 22, 1940 Running time 125 minutes Country United States Language English
North West Mounted Police is a 1940 American action adventure film directed by Cecil B. DeMille, and starring Gary Cooper, Paulette Goddard, and Madeleine Carroll. This was DeMille's first film in Technicolor. Released by Paramount Pictures, it was filmed on location in the Canadian Rockies. The film tells the story of a Texas Ranger who joins forces with the North West Mounted Police to put down a rebellion.
Texas Ranger Dusty Rivers (Gary Cooper) is sent to Canada during the 1880s in pursuit of outlaw Jacques Corbeau (George Bancroft), arriving in the midst of the Riel Rebellion. Dusty meets nurse April Logan (Madeleine Carroll) and quickly falls in love with her. However, she is already involved with Canadian Mountie Sergeant Jim Britt (Preston Foster). Dusty and April have become involved with one another, which becomes evident to Jim, to whom April wishes to remain loyal.
Meanwhile, April's brother, Ronnie Logan (Robert Preston), who also is a Mountie, is in love with Corbeau's daughter, Louvette (Paulette Goddard). Louvette loves Ronnie intensely and is determined to protect Ronnie in the coming fight at all costs, using Ronnie's feelings for her father's benefit at times.
Corbeau is eventually tracked down to his hideout. When the showdown between Dusty, the Mounties, and the supporters of Corbeau finally arrives, Louvette tricks Ronnie, and ties him to a chair to keep him safe, after he had given her information vital to the Mounties' planned attack on the outlaws. Ronnie is unable to warn his fellow Mounties and Rivers that they are riding into a trap. The lawmen are ambushed and think Ronnie is a deserter. Dusty Rivers helps to turn the tide of the battle and Sergeant Jim arrests Corbeau. Rivers tracks down Ronnie at Louvette's hideout and convinces him to turn himself in, however he is killed in a case of mistaken identity.
Afterwards, Dusty Rivers is set to return to Texas, but first gives April and Jim his blessing.
- Gary Cooper as Dusty Rivers
- Madeleine Carroll as April Logan
- Paulette Goddard as Louvette Corbeau
- Preston Foster as Sergeant Jim Brett
- Robert Preston as Ronnie Logan
- George Bancroft as Jacques Corbeau
- Lynne Overman as Tod McDuff
- Akim Tamiroff as Dan Duroc
- Walter Hampden as Big Bear
- Lon Chaney, Jr. as Shorty
- Montagu Love as Inspector Cabot
- Francis McDonald as Louis Riel
- George E. Stone as Johnny Pelang
- Willard Robertson as Supt. Harrington
- Regis Toomey as Constable Jerry Moore
- Richard Denning as Constable Thornton
- Douglas Kennedy as Constable Carter
- Robert Ryan as Constable Dumont
- Ralph Byrd as Constable Ackroyd
- Rod Cameron as Constable Underhill
- Chief Thundercloud as Wandering Spirit
DeMille narrated portions of the story, a practice he followed in all of his Technicolor films, except for the 1958 version of The Buccaneer, in which he, visibly frail at the time due to an ultimately terminal illness, appeared only in the prologue.
- Art Direction (Color) (Hans Dreier, Roland Anderson)
- Cinematography (Color) (Victor Milner, W. Howard Greene)
- Film Editing (Anne Bauchens) - Won
- Music (Original Score) (Victor Young)
- Sound Recording (Loren L. Ryder)
- ^ "The Legacy of the NWMP Today: The RCMP in Popular Culture." virtualmuseum.ca. Retrieved: 24 September 2010.
- ^ IMDB "North West Mounted Police". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032850/ IMDB. Retrieved 16 November 2011.
- ^ Martin, Mick and Marsha Porter. Video Movie Guide. New York: Ballantine Books, 1997, ISBN 0-34542-099-3.
- ^ Moses, Robert. AMC Classic Movie Companion. New York: Hyperion, 1999, ISBN 978-0786883943.
- ^ "The 13th Academy Awards (1941) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/legacy/ceremony/13th-winners.html. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- North West Mounted Police at the TCM Movie Database
- Northwest Mounted Police at the Internet Movie Database
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Royal Canadian Mounted Police — RCMP , Mountie , and North West Mounted Police redirect here. For the TV series, see R.C.M.P. (TV series). For the 1940 film, see North West Mounted Police (film). Royal Canadian Mounted Police Gendarmerie royale du Canada The Mounties… … Wikipedia
police — /peuh lees /, n., v., policed, policing. n. 1. Also called police force. an organized civil force for maintaining order, preventing and detecting crime, and enforcing the laws. 2. (used with a pl. v.) members of such a force: Several police are… … Universalium
Police — For other uses, see Police (disambiguation). Department of Police redirects here. For other uses, see Department of Police (disambiguation) … Wikipedia
Police procedural — The police procedural is a piece of detective fiction which attempts to convincingly depict the activities of a police force as they investigate crimes. While traditional detective novels usually concentrate on a single crime, police procedurals… … Wikipedia
North American Rockwell OV-10 Bronco — OV 10 Bronco A U.S. Air Force OV 10 firing a white phosphorus smoke rocket to mark a ground target Role … Wikipedia
List of film director and actor collaborations — Film directors frequently choose to work with the same actor or actress across several projects. Such collaborations may span years or even decades. The following list has been alphabetized by the director s last name. A *Jim Abrahams / Lloyd… … Wikipedia
Clancy of the Mounted — Directed by Ray Taylor Produced by Henry MacRae Written by Basil Dickey (continuity) Harry O. Hoyt (adaptation) Ella O Neill (dialogue) … Wikipedia
Oscar de la meilleure musique de film — L Oscar de la meilleure musique originale de film (en anglais, Academy Award for Best Original Music Score) est une récompense cinématographique américaine décernée chaque année, depuis 1935 par l Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences… … Wikipédia en Français
Northwest Hounded Police — Directed by Tex Avery Produced by Fred Quimby Written by Heck Allen Starring Frank Graham (uncredited) T … Wikipedia
1940 in film — The year 1940 in film involved some significant events.Events*February 7 Walt Disney s animated film Pinocchio is released. * February 20 Tom and Jerry make their debut in the animated cartoon Puss Gets the Boot . * May 17 My Favorite Wife is… … Wikipedia